PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Kanza 200 Tires: recommendations for wide 35mm+ clinchers

oldfatslow
04-08-2013, 06:57 AM
I'm planning on riding the Dirty Kanza 200 and need some recommendations on wide clincher tires that are strong, reasonably light (given size) and provide lovely ride quality.

Thanks.

charliedid
04-08-2013, 08:16 AM
If it's dry (at least not a mud fest) these work pretty well for my $ http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/bicycle/themes/cross/cyclocross_speed/cyclocross_speed_en.html

sashae
04-08-2013, 08:56 AM
Schwalbe Marathon Supremes are pretty nice...

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/productimages/images450/scms22-1.jpg

Birddog
04-08-2013, 09:17 AM
Doesn't their website or possibly a link cover this. IIRC, they also suggest tubeless. It's not a question of if you flat, it's how often.

abelson
04-08-2013, 09:51 AM
If you can fit them clement X'plor MSO 700 x 40.

sparky33
04-08-2013, 10:38 AM
Vee Rubber X-C-X 35 and 40

buldogge
04-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Kenda Small Block 8s 35mm (run a little narrow, unless you are using 23mm rims) or Challenge Grifo XS (run wider).

-Mark in St. Louis

Oregonic
04-08-2013, 11:56 AM
If you can fit them clement X'plor MSO 700 x 40.

Yes, these. If you can't fit them, then these...

http://clementcycling.com/ush

Dsteiker
02-24-2020, 12:26 PM
For all of you that have done Dirty Kanza - what tires do you like? Think 40mm is the ideal size.

Michael Maddox
02-24-2020, 12:56 PM
I'm going to be on 700c 42mm WTB Raddlers (the new one...not the Riddler), on my Lauf True Grit. Was thinking about 40s, but decided on these instead. Can't hurt. Might help.

Note that I have opted OUT of riding 650b 47mm tires.

Dsteiker
02-24-2020, 01:07 PM
I'm going to be on 700c 42mm WTB Raddlers (the new one...not the Riddler), on my Lauf True Grit. Was thinking about 40s, but decided on these instead. Can't hurt. Might help.

I am running 700c as well.

Like the look of the Raddler, how is the sidewall protection?

Currently running Donnelly MSO in 40mm, which has been a good tire for me. Thinking for Dk going to need a tire with more grip and larger sidewall knobs for the loose stuff.

bthomas515
02-24-2020, 01:57 PM
I ran gravelking sk’s last year and NEVER flatted. But that was luck, not skill. Set up tubeless 40’s.

One thing I’d suggest is making sure you include your extra tubes with your supply station and not carry them all with you. I overpacked and reduced my stuff halfway through and you can feel the difference even a pound makes over the miles.

alwayssnacking
02-24-2020, 02:08 PM
I ran gravelking sk’s last year and NEVER flatted. But that was luck, not skill. Set up tubeless 40’s.

One thing I’d suggest is making sure you include your extra tubes with your supply station and not carry them all with you. I overpacked and reduced my stuff halfway through and you can feel the difference even a pound makes over the miles.

+1 for gravelking sk's!

papa bless
02-24-2020, 02:24 PM
I ran Terreno Dry 33's that had maybe 100 miles on them, and I didn't get a flat. But yeah, you're going pass probably 75-100 people with flats. Stay diligent and alert and pay attention to your line. Avoid big rocks. Your tires are not tank treads, so don't treat them like they are.

Your main issue will be sidewall slashes rather than punctures.

R3awak3n
02-24-2020, 02:44 PM

why is that?

I was going to go with rene herse Juniper Ridge (650x47mm) with endurance casing but now am thinking about running the 700c maxxis rambler (the 60tpi in the back and the 120tpi in the front). The maxxis seems to be pretty popular and why I bought a set but starting to have doubts about it. I think I am going to bring 2 wheelsets. If its dry I will probably go 700c x40mm with the ramblers, if its muddy and wet I will do the 650bx47mm juniper ridges.

srider
02-26-2020, 09:47 AM
+1 for gravelking sk's!

You can run nearly any tire without a flat if you're careful (and lucky). And you'll see people on the course begging for tubes to fix their 14th flat while running the same tires.

Why? Discipline is the word to me that describes it best. Discipline means taking care of your tires above all else, even if it means losing the wheel that you're drafting off of to slow down in a technical section, or at the bottom of a descent, or where the grass is high and limits visibility. Discipline is purposefully leaving a sight line in front of you to react and avoid rocks, and staying focused even later in the day when you're fatigued.

Tubeless is the only way to go. Starting with a tubed tire is just asking for trouble. I've run gravelking sk's for 4 years now with only 1 sidewall cut that fortunately sealed and held for the rest of the day.

Now if I can just avoid heatstroke this year :)

Good luck

R3awak3n
02-26-2020, 10:27 AM
You can run nearly any tire without a flat if you're careful (and lucky). And you'll see people on the course begging for tubes to fix their 14th flat while running the same tires.

Why? Discipline is the word to me that describes it best. Discipline means taking care of your tires above all else, even if it means losing the wheel that you're drafting off of to slow down in a technical section, or at the bottom of a descent, or where the grass is high and limits visibility. Discipline is purposefully leaving a sight line in front of you to react and avoid rocks, and staying focused even later in the day when you're fatigued.

Tubeless is the only way to go. Starting with a tubed tire is just asking for trouble. I've run gravelking sk's for 4 years now with only 1 sidewall cut that fortunately sealed and held for the rest of the day.

Now if I can just avoid heatstroke this year :)

Good luck

I agree. I have had tires that I swear by, meanwhile some people with the same tires complain that they get too many flats on them.... There are definitely tires with more protection than others but at the end of the day, luck and being a bit careful will decide the fate of the day.

Krenovian
02-26-2020, 12:35 PM
Here’s my short list of tires for DK200. I compiled this by researching what others have successfully run and reading reviews of tires which may be suitable but which I couldn’t find specific recommendations for.

Donnelly E’plor MSO 532 grams, protection belt
Donnelly EMP 484 grams protection belt
IRC Boken 490 grams, fast, smooth, side wall protection, no belt
700 x40 may stretch to 43 mm
Kenda Flintridge 700 x 40 515 +/- 26 grams
Maxxis Rambler 700 x 40 Silk Shield 60 TPI 420 grams bead to
Bead protection. EXO 120 TPI 370 grams side wall
protection, more supple. 40mm may be undersized
Continental Terra Speed 700 x 40 420 grams claimed bead to
bead protection. Low rolling resistance. May run
smaller than claimed 40 mm
Panaracer Gravel King SK

I’ve ordered a pair of the Continental Terra Speeds to try. The Schwalbe G1 Allrounds that I have been using this past year have been bomb proof. I considered running them but have read posts where people recommended against using them, though I think I read that one of the recent winners ran them. Don’t quote me on that though. The Terra Speeds are reported to be similar to the G1 Bite

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

papa bless
02-26-2020, 12:54 PM
Here’s my short list of tires for DK200. I compiled this by researching what others have successfully run and reading reviews of tires which may be suitable but which I couldn’t find specific recommendations for.

Donnelly E’plor MSO 532 grams, protection belt
Donnelly EMP 484 grams protection belt
IRC Boken 490 grams, fast, smooth, side wall protection, no belt
700 x40 may stretch to 43 mm
Kenda Flintridge 700 x 40 515 +/- 26 grams
Maxxis Rambler 700 x 40 Silk Shield 60 TPI 420 grams bead to
Bead protection. EXO 120 TPI 370 grams side wall
protection, more supple. 40mm may be undersized
Continental Terra Speed 700 x 40 420 grams claimed bead to
bead protection. Low rolling resistance. May run
smaller than claimed 40 mm
Panaracer Gravel King SK

I’ve ordered a pair of the Continental Terra Speeds to try. The Schwalbe G1 Allrounds that I have been using this past year have been bomb proof. I considered running them but have read posts where people recommended against using them, though I think I read that one of the recent winners ran them. Don’t quote me on that though. The Terra Speeds are reported to be similar to the G1 Bite

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is just insane. Pick good lines and pay attention to what is in front of you. There's not a magic tire that's going to stop you from flatting.

chunkylover53
02-26-2020, 01:27 PM
I did look at the Conti speeds - they look nice. Decide on the Specialized Pathfinder Pro. They look like a good combo - roll fast, some side grip, pretty beefy. They have been on the winning bike a few times. Good price.

kppolich
02-26-2020, 01:35 PM
I saw Panaracer released a 'plus' version of all the gravelkings which is supposed to be the most durable ever, with only 40g of additional weight. Seems like road conditions (mud vs dry) and also how rocky it is from year to year would be a big decision maker for me. 1.) I dont want to flat, its a long day anyway and flats just make it longer. 2.) If it's muddy tire selection matters as well as clearance.

srider
02-26-2020, 01:50 PM
This is just insane. Pick good lines and pay attention to what is in front of you. There's not a magic tire that's going to stop you from flatting.

Agree. It's not rocket surgery.

KonaSS
02-26-2020, 04:16 PM
I saw Panaracer released a 'plus' version of all the gravelkings which is supposed to be the most durable ever, with only 40g of additional weight. Seems like road conditions (mud vs dry) and also how rocky it is from year to year would be a big decision maker for me. 1.) I dont want to flat, its a long day anyway and flats just make it longer. 2.) If it's muddy tire selection matters as well as clearance.

My buddy and I used the plus version last year, each had 2-3 flats.

I have only been to Kanza once, but had 3 flats. I call BS to all those who say pick your line better. You can to some extent, but becomes more difficult if you are riding in a group If you are letting groups go, that means you will be slower in order to avoid flats. Difficult decision to make. And 2 of my flats occurred when I was riding alone and riding clean lines. Those rocks are just sharp and sometimes it is the luck of the draw.