PDA

View Full Version : masi team 3v aluminum fork - known problems?

pavel
04-08-2013, 03:46 AM
I'm rebuilding a masi team 3v and am wondering what people have to say about the aluminum fork. Any known failures or problems? should it be replaced with a steel fork?

thanks!

oliver1850
04-08-2013, 01:47 PM

pavel
04-08-2013, 04:29 PM
nah. just wondering out loud. The bike is purple, I dont know what either of us would do without the matching forks.

bobswire
04-08-2013, 04:38 PM
I'm rebuilding a masi team 3v and am wondering what people have to say about the aluminum fork. Any known failures or problems? should it be replaced with a steel fork?

thanks!

I've owned 3 3V's and never heard of an aluminum fork.
In fact when I googled it this came up, the top 4 pics were my old 3V's
https://www.google.com/search?q=Masi+%23v&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=IzhjUffPLqP3igKv94DIDQ&biw=1097&bih=637&sei=JjhjUcD9DKiOigKAx4BA#um=1&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=nof&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=Masi+3v&oq=Masi+3v&gs_l=img.12..0l2j0i24l7.4286.4782.3.6657.2.0.2.0.0 .0.0.0..0.0...0.0...1c.1.8.img.dqnVQJJ2Qk8&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.44990110,d.cGE&fp=7ad05b8c4de4dae6&biw=1097&bih=637

alexstar
04-08-2013, 04:44 PM
I rode a Team 3V and it was a great bike. The 3V was made in Italy and had a steel fork, while the less expensive Team 3V was made in California, had a Sakae Ringyo aluminum fork, and the 1991 and 1992 bikes had "sponsor" decals which helped subsidize costs. Later bikes were said to be made in Italy by Mondonico and had a unicrown fork. I never heard of any failures with the SR fork. Jim Allen had some good info on these bikes, which he shared on the CR list.

Wolfman
04-08-2013, 05:00 PM
Crazy that you asked this...

I just bought dromen's Team3V, which used to belong to thwart (don't know if this was yours, too bobswire... this thing has been around) and it has the aluminum Sakae fork with the steel steerer, as well.

I have heard of no problems with the fork, but I'm going to get a steel fork made, myself.

I had a steel fork on an older Team3V and it was excellent. I've had aluminum forks on other bikes and they weren't as excellent. There are some great builders that will build a boxtop radiused steel fork and they will be excellent.

pavel
04-08-2013, 05:17 PM
thats the same fork as mine (my pops' actually), SR, purple. The idea of a bonded aluminum fork just doesnt sit quite right with me, but it's good to know there are no known failures.

Rebuilding his bike from 8speed campy to 2010 UT alloy centaur and excited to drop a few pounds and just clean it up :)

djg21
04-08-2013, 05:50 PM
I used to have a Prism Aluminum fork on a Merlin years ago. I wasn't a fan of the fork, and found the bike to handle much better I replaced the Prism with a Time carbon fork. This was ages ago, but I still would be reluctant to use an aluminum fork.

bobswire
04-08-2013, 06:48 PM
Crazy that you asked this...

I just bought dromen's Team3V, which used to belong to thwart (don't know if this was yours, too bobswire... this thing has been around) and it has the aluminum Sakae fork with the steel steerer, as well.

I have heard of no problems with the fork, but I'm going to get a steel fork made, myself.

I had a steel fork on an older Team3V and it was excellent. I've had aluminum forks on other bikes and they weren't as excellent. There are some great builders that will build a boxtop radiused steel fork and they will be excellent.

Goes to show how observant I was, yes that was mine before Thwart, I never gave the fork any mind but I sure wouldn't hesitate in riding it.
I don't think it should be judged by the old Viscount (widow makers) aluminum fork.