PDA

View Full Version : Questions about wet-sanding a painted HED

liray
04-07-2013, 06:03 PM
So I recently came into a possession of a poorly painted HED wheel. I figured I would use this as an opportunity to learn a thing or two about wet sanding.
I've read a few things online, and have already begun the process of wet-sanding with 400 grit sandpaper as per this following guide: http://bostonfixed.us/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=2582&page=1

However, I now realize I have no idea when to "stop".
It seems the previous owned used primer, and then black on top. However, I have no idea whether he took the clear coat off before applying the primer.

Looking as this picture below, you can see a few of the different levels of the wheel. Have I sanded it too much? :help:

http://oi47.tinypic.com/pprub.jpg

Black Dog
04-07-2013, 06:12 PM
Stop as soon as you can see the weave of the carbon fibre. If you created a fuzzy spot you are sanding the fibres and have gone too far!

DRietz
04-07-2013, 06:13 PM
Is it a Jet? If so, it doesn't really matter as the carbon is not structural.

Regardless, the shiny looking carbon in the middle there appears to be down to the fiber.

The duller stuff to the left appears to still have clear/gel coat.

Stop sanding when the dust turns black.

Louis
04-07-2013, 06:16 PM
Have I sanded it too much?

It depends, but I don't think so. The area where I see only the CF weave looks OK to my untrained eye.

How far you need to go depends on whether or not you want a "naked" look. If you're going to repaint it, then all you really need is a relatively smooth, clean surface. If you're going naked, then you need to go all the way.

Caveat: I'm not a painter.

liray
04-07-2013, 06:17 PM
Stop as soon as you can see the weave of the carbon fibre. If you created a fuzzy spot you are sanding the fibres and have gone too far!

What exactly do you mean by a "fuzzy" spot?

Bruce K
04-07-2013, 06:19 PM
You might want to talk to the folks at HED about this.

Again, the fairing on Jets is not structural but I wouldn't go any farther than smoothing out tough spots and creating a surface for the paint to bond to

BK

liray
04-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Is it a Jet? If so, it doesn't really matter as the carbon is not structural.

Regardless, the shiny looking carbon in the middle there appears to be down to the fiber.

No, I was told it was maybe an older 2005-ish HED wheel. Should I be worried about the structural integrity at this point?

liray
04-07-2013, 06:21 PM
Also, at this point, I think I am just going to repaint it a matte black because I'm worried about going too far if I'm going for the naked look. Should I just get it down to the white of the primer and then re-prime and paint?

Louis
04-07-2013, 06:22 PM
Should I be worried about the structural integrity at this point?

No, I really don't think so. The weave looks OK to me. If you've sanded some it sure doesn't look like it's much.

Louis
04-07-2013, 06:23 PM
Should I just get it down to the white of the primer and then re-prime and paint?

I think this would be simplest for a DIY job.

RedRider
04-07-2013, 06:26 PM
I'm more concerned about the integrity of an 8 yr old, second hand, carbon wheel. Why was it painted? Was it repaired?

ultraman6970
04-07-2013, 06:40 PM
Would help a lot if you have a picture of the wheel before sanding.

You have primer in there (white stuff) and clearly finihsinng wave carbon is there also, if the wheel was painted then with only scuffing the surface would have been enough so you can paint over.

If the bike have waving carbon finish and now looks almost all dull and flat black color, then you sanded too much.

liray
04-07-2013, 06:47 PM
I'm more concerned about the integrity of an 8 yr old, second hand, carbon wheel. Why was it painted? Was it repaired?

Well, I bought it off some hipster kid who thought it would be cool to do this:
http://oi50.tinypic.com/osy78l.jpg

Needless to say, this was not ok.

Black Dog
04-07-2013, 08:05 PM
What exactly do you mean by a "fuzzy" spot?

if you sand through the clear coat and get to the fibres then they will start to fray and the cut fibres will feel fuzzy. At this point you are damaging the fibres and have gone too far..:eek:

ultraman6970
04-07-2013, 08:09 PM
Hipsters are the worse, never understood why they are f.... stupid... darn! Get bikes and always doing weird crap to them w/o know what they are doing... end of the rant...

Ok do this ok? I will asume the best case scenario and that all is ok, always carbon is kind'a overbuilt anyways.

Dont sand no more, prime with an epoxy primer in any color you want and paint that wheel any color you want. Done.

Good luck.

shovelhd
04-08-2013, 06:47 AM
Are those cracks around the hub flange? They scare me.

I would rough sand and repaint.

one60
04-08-2013, 09:47 AM
I'd sand that area too to determine if they are deeper than just the painted surface

DRZRM
04-08-2013, 10:28 AM
Are those cracks around the hub flange? They scare me.

My immediate concern too, what's going on around the hub?

liray
04-08-2013, 10:32 AM
My immediate concern too, what's going on around the hub?

Actually, there was a layer of matte black paint applied directly on top of what you can see in picture 2. I was able to peel back most of the paint in one piece, and the "crack" that you guys see is actually just a strand of the paint that I'd missed before taking the picture.

sc53
04-08-2013, 10:38 AM
Well, I bought it off some hipster kid who thought it would be cool to do this:
http://oi50.tinypic.com/osy78l.jpg

Needless to say, this was not ok.

You could have kept it as is and said Dario painted it!

mktng
04-08-2013, 10:43 AM
Jeez. Ive seen some rough ex hipster hed 3's before but this ones pretty bad. I'd never take a potential third or fourth hand tri spoke from someone who's had it on his street warrior fixie. Potential bar spinning and "tricks".. Hope you didnt pay alot :P :)

liray
04-08-2013, 10:44 AM
You could have kept it as is and said Dario painted it!

Hahah, but as a guy who has dabbled in graffiti and street art, this burned my eyes. :no:

zott28
04-08-2013, 11:41 AM
There is a chemical you can buy that bubbles paint off but keeps the carbon safe. The guy that pellet blasted my ti frame uses it on carbon.
You can buy it online.
http://www.carbolift.com/

liray
04-08-2013, 01:13 PM
There is a chemical you can buy that bubbles paint off but keeps the carbon safe. The guy that pellet blasted my ti frame uses it on carbon.
You can buy it online.
http://www.carbolift.com/

What is this wizardry... :eek:
But jeez, at $40 for a 500ml bottle that I'm not sure is even enough to take all the paint off, I'd be in way too much.
Although this is useful to know for future projects.