PDA

View Full Version : Finally Treating Myself

rpkm
11-22-2005, 09:07 AM
So after 10 years on a Trek 5200 with Rolf Vector Pros and lusting after a serotta I test rode an Ottrott ST and could not believe how harsh the Trek seemed. Well between the Legend and the Ottrott I decided at 47 years old I was going to treat myself to the Ottrott. Priced with DA and X-Lite wheels vs. Chorus with Scirocco wheels the DA version was considerably more expensive. This seemed contrary to what I had expected. Is this due to the wheels or the components? Any other comments or parts suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I build this gift to myself up!

Argos
11-22-2005, 09:54 AM
Mazel Tov! Listening to the components you are considering there are no bad choices. You should go with what you like. You are treating yourself to a fantastic bicycle, and whether you choose components from the Italian or Asian stables, you will be very happy.

Post a picture when it is done!

norcalbiker
11-22-2005, 10:39 AM
Congratulations!!!!
I just did that to myself. Bought a Nove about a month ago instead of the Ottrott. Spend the extra money on the component instead. I went with full Campy Record Carbon and very happy with the choice I made. The Nove is not exactly the same as the Ottrott, but like you I am 47 years old and Serotta people told me that the kind of riding I do, Ottrott will not really benefit me.

Good luck

Blastinbob
11-22-2005, 11:02 AM
You should find out which tubeset is on the ottrott you test rode, if thats how you want it to ride, they offer 4 different ones now. Make sure they build yours the same.
Your wheel choice should be well researched, you will get some fairly consistent opinions here on the forum. As for components, you won't go wrong with dura-ace, ultegra, record or chorus.........just figure out which shifters you like better.

oldguy00
11-22-2005, 12:25 PM
Go with the Chorus!!! Campy stuff rules. Less cables messing up the front end too. You can upgrade the wheels in the future if needed.

ClutchCargo
11-22-2005, 01:05 PM
So . . . Priced with DA and X-Lite wheels vs. Chorus with Scirocco wheels the DA version was considerably more expensive. This seemed contrary to what I had expected. Is this due to the wheels or the components? Any other comments or parts suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I build this gift to myself up!

no bad choices there. go with shimano or campy as your heart desires. if you have a cost concern, though, you could always stick with your current wheels -- for now -- and shop around for new wheels. give yourself something else to look forward to and time to consider custom vs. stock, etc., etc.

ride on!

ergott
11-22-2005, 01:48 PM
So after 10 years on a Trek 5200 with Rolf Vector Pros and lusting after a serotta I test rode an Ottrott ST and could not believe how harsh the Trek seemed. Well between the Legend and the Ottrott I decided at 47 years old I was going to treat myself to the Ottrott. Priced with DA and X-Lite wheels vs. Chorus with Scirocco wheels the DA version was considerably more expensive. This seemed contrary to what I had expected. Is this due to the wheels or the components? Any other comments or parts suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I build this gift to myself up!

You should definetly go with Campy. If not, you should definetly get Shimano ;)

Too Tall
11-22-2005, 01:57 PM
DA is top of the line Shimano and Chorus is just below Record thus.....

That help?

davids
11-22-2005, 02:31 PM
You should definetly go with Campy. If not, you should definetly get Shimano ;)
No, no, no! You should definitely go with Shimano. If not, you should definitely get Campy.

Sheesh! ;)

SoCalSteve
11-22-2005, 03:11 PM
places and ways to buy components...buying them from a LBS may not be the most financially advantageous way to go about this...

Of course, buy the Ottrott ST from them and Serotta F3 fork to go along from your LBS and have them fit you....

But, I have seen a $500.00 swing in prices on Shimano....just be careful that you are not paying more than you have to..

I have a great connection for all things Shimano...Also, have a great connection for hand built wheels....a couple hundred less than mail order.

Let me know and I can set you up for both Shimano and wheels.

I bought 4 Dura Ace 7800 grouppos from her and have saved over $2,000.00 compared to mail order prices...

Good luck! You have decided on the finest riding/feeling bike there is. I love mine..I only wish it had the DKS rear end...it would then be a PERFECT bike!

Steve

ergott
11-22-2005, 03:28 PM
Chorus is just below Record thus.....

That help?

ShimaNO is below Chorus. ;)

amg
11-22-2005, 03:39 PM
I would look at it more like Campagnolo has two top-of-the-line gruppos, Record and Chorus. Both are virtually functionally identical, Record just has a few more Ti and Carbon bits and subsequentely weighs a bit less, that's it!

Antonio

Ken Robb
11-22-2005, 03:45 PM
and what exactly is the difference between Ultegra and Dura Ace?

amg
11-22-2005, 03:52 PM

***K's

ergott
11-22-2005, 04:01 PM

Seriously speaking, there is a much bigger difference in the hubs than Record/Chorus. I tell people that there is no funcional difference between Record and Chorus. Dura Ace hubs and Ultegra hubs are very different in both weight and design. Ultegra hubs are nice, but weigh a ton compares to Dura Ace (if you care about that sort of thing).

Serotta PETE
11-22-2005, 04:04 PM

Glad to see you treating yourself. Get whichever group you like the best (looks that you like and position of your hands on levers should be the two most determining items). Shimano and Campy are both good. dura ace, ultegra, chorus, and record all work well. I have both and while I have a preference it is not based on performance - but the one i like the looks of better.

I agree with SocalSteve - the price of Shimano can very greatly and the lady he references would be a great place to check.

make sure to post pictures when you get the bike built up.

PETE

csm
11-22-2005, 04:19 PM
just remember that you get what you pay for.

SoCalSteve
11-22-2005, 04:57 PM
the identical product in the identical box...

Why would you even consider spending more $$$.

A VERY good example...You can spend close to $1500.00 for a D/A group at Colorado Cyclist (minus hubs)....the same exact group through my connection is a bit over $1K.....

Your choice for the exact same stuff.

Ok, how about this: a diamond of the exact same specs at Tiffany is $10K, from a local downtown jeweler its $7.5K...but, your not getting the pretty blue box with Tiffany...Is that box worth $2.5k? It isnt to me!

Shimano Dura Ace is the same wherever you buy it as is Campy gear....

I have used both extensively and feel (for many reasons) that the Dura Ace stuff is superior..

Please feel free to ask me all the reasons why I think its superior, I'de be happy to tell you why.

Steve

Too Tall
11-23-2005, 06:57 AM
http://www.ahealinghand.com/images/general/rumble.mp3

Needs Help
11-23-2005, 07:51 PM
When it comes to...
the identical product in the identical box...

Why would you even consider spending more $$$.

A VERY good example...You can spend close to $1500.00 for a D/A group at Colorado Cyclist (minus hubs)....the same exact group through my connection is a bit over $1K.....

Your choice for the exact same stuff.
Grey market products, stolen merchandise, etc. may not come with a valid warranty. I certainly wouldn't risk buying an expensive product through someone on the internet's connection.

SoCalSteve
11-23-2005, 08:26 PM
Ebay stock is way up...

Internet sales are booming...

Amazon turned a profit a few years back...

Etc, etc, etc...

Brick and mortar is kind of yesterday's news.

Happy Holidays!

PS: I know where I'll be buying my expensive Holiday gifts (and it wont be from a place where I have to find a parking spot or deal with rude sales clerks).

PSS: I have done over 400 transactions on ebay (probably 300 as a buyer) and never once got burned, ripped off or felt otherwise slighted.

PSSS: I own a few hundred shares of ebay stock (started out with 100 and its split 3 times) so, I may not have an unbiased opinion....But, if it keeps going this way, I will be able to retire off my ebay stock...Cheers