PDA

View Full Version : More on gluing tubulars: Did I damage this tire

sfscott
04-07-2013, 04:54 PM
Hello all,

Thanks for all of your input and advice a few weeks ago on helping me glue my first set of tubulars on my own. I found the process straight forward, although not easy to get perfect the first time.

After finishing a wheel and letting it sit, I discovered that I was not happy with the completeness of the glue job and took the tire off to re-glue. Once I did so, the base tape of the tire was in most places exposed white cotton. It did not have the yellow coating that a new tire has. Is this a problem? Normal? Can I re-glue without issue? I was wondering if the glue will get absorbed by the fabric.

The first picture is of the is the new one with uniform yellowish coating over the base tape. The second is the pre-glued tire.

FWIW, these are Veloflex tires.

Thanks,
SFScott

christian
04-07-2013, 04:58 PM
That's fine to re-use, but you really really need to get better coverage with your glue. Buy some acid/flux brushes and go to town. The key is edge-to-edge coverage.

FlashUNC
04-07-2013, 05:21 PM
Any tears or chunks of base-tape left on the rim?

sfscott
04-07-2013, 05:32 PM
Hard to tell. There were a number of patches of hard yellow stuff on the rim, but I was not sure if that is cement or the yellowish coating. No patches of white cotton fabric if that's what you're asking.

yakstone
04-07-2013, 05:39 PM
Re-glue edge to edge on both the tire and the rim and remount. I would put at least another 2 coats on the tire.

sfscott
04-07-2013, 05:41 PM
Is edge-to-edge meant to mean base tape or part of the rubber itself. Despite the end result and the look of things, I thought I was pretty thorough in my painting of thee thin coats on the tire as well as the rim.

Liv2RideHard
04-07-2013, 06:02 PM
I apply glue base tape edge to base tape edge. Are you using flux brushes? They are your best bet. Trim them so they are slightly round. Makes less of a mess and stiffens them a bit which makes it easier to apply the glue.

Welcome to the wonderful world of tubulars. You made the right decision!

sfscott
04-07-2013, 06:04 PM
Yes on the flux brushes but no on trimming.

false_Aest
04-07-2013, 06:14 PM
if that yellowish coating is latex, it should've been removed before the initial gluing.

+1 acid brushes
+1 more even coat

scrub a thin coat of glue into the cotton, let it absorb. then do it again.

there should be a uniform coating of glue on the cotton.

go look at V.Salon. Mike Zanc did a good thread with picts of gluing up tubulars.

sfscott
04-07-2013, 06:49 PM
if that yellowish coating is latex, it should've been removed before the initial gluing.

there should be a uniform coating of glue on the cotton.

go look at V.Salon. Mike Zanc did a good thread with picts of gluing up tubulars.

I have no idea what the yellow stuff is on the new tire. This is my first rodeo. On the new one, it is a nice, smooth layer over the base tape.

Besides, if it is is latex, won't that readily stick to the cement?

Louis
04-07-2013, 07:46 PM

I'm confused - why would a tubular tire manufacturer put something on a tire that you would have to go through the trouble of removing before gluing?

It that is the case, that would (to me) be a sign of a tire brand to avoid.

christian
04-07-2013, 07:55 PM
All tires that have coated base tapes should be scraped to get raw base tape exposed. You want bare base tape exposed so it can soak up more glue. The benefit of the coated base tapes is that they aren't so susceptible to basetape rot at the edges of of base tape.

Louis
04-07-2013, 08:13 PM
This is a step in gluing tubulars that I was not aware of.

They say that ritual is an important part of every religion - it's clear to me that tubular users are devotees of a cycling sect. ;)

christian
04-07-2013, 08:30 PM
Rode clinchers today for the first time in 12 months. Big crash. See what happens when you use wire-ons?

Louis
04-07-2013, 08:47 PM
Bummer. :mad:

Maybe you're handling skills weren't up to the task...

Edit: Seriously now, what happened? Car?

false_Aest
04-08-2013, 12:47 PM
I have no idea what the yellow stuff is on the new tire. This is my first rodeo. On the new one, it is a nice, smooth layer over the base tape.

Besides, if it is is latex, won't that readily stick to the cement?

There IS latex-type-stuff on certain brands of tires: Kenda + Vittoria come to mind. The latex sticks to the glue but not very well to the cotton + prevents glue from soaking into the base tape.

Toots has recommended pumping the tires up to 40-50psi and using a sharp file to scuff up the surface. I use 100 grit sand paper.

IIRC, Continental don't have that latex-stuff on em but they absorbe a metric efftonne of glue. I think I did 3 coats of glue on the tape and 2 on the rim.

word

false_Aest
04-08-2013, 12:51 PM
also, for reference

see this thread:

http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f7/how-gluing-cx-tubulars-not-tonight-honey-ive-got-mastik-1-headache-10244.html

notice how Zanc puts a bead on the tubular and then spreads that bead out over the entire base-tape.

djdj
04-08-2013, 01:53 PM
OP -- with the Veloflex, I do not think there is any way practical way to remove that yellowish coating before gluing without damaging the base tape. You can try to rough it up with a file if you want. Either way, it will come off and stick to (or be absorbed in) the glue on the rim the first time you remove the tire (as you saw). However, I do not think that compromises the bond. I've simply re-glued. Whether the first install or subsequent, I've not expereinced any weak bond because of it.

There are several discussion threads on that here and on weightweenies, including conributions by 11.4, who has vast experience.

You should, whether first or subsequent install, spread a thin layer or two on the entire width of the base tape (not on the rubber).