PDA

View Full Version : San Marco stiching woes fixed... hopefully

Gat64
04-07-2013, 12:47 PM
Not sure if anyone else has had this problem with saddles, but I have had an issue with my Selle San Marco Rever where the stitched patch was damaging my bibs. When I first had the saddle, it did not seem to cause any issues but I assume over time the stitched logo patch became a bit worn and frayed which then caused the friction wearing.

Anyway, I had put the saddle away for a few years and the other day I found it in my parts bin. As I was building a new rig, I decided to see if I could do something with the saddle to save it.

So, I went to local hardware store and tried to find some thing that could cover the patch, be tough and still remain flexible. I found a product called Marine Goop (in the photo) which is a UV resistant glue/sealant and very tough.

I have now put about three layers of the goop (letting it dry between coats) on the saddle where the patch was. It went on very nice and seems to smooth out during the drying process. Now, it does look a little frankensaddle, but my butt will be covering the handy work anyway.

Only time will tell if this lasts, but I am hopeful. Anyway, thought I would share in case others have had a similar issue.