PDA

View Full Version : Training Suggestion for Long Distances with Limited on the Bike Time

pjmsj21
04-07-2013, 12:21 PM
I just learned that my wife and I were accepted in the Ramrod (Ride Around Mt Rainier in a Day) lottery. It is a 152 mile ride (10K ft) of elevation gain. We did this ride about four years ago when we were 59 so we know what the ride is all about. That's the good news as it can be difficult to get in.

The bad news is that just after putting our names in, I found out that my out of the US travel would be significant for the next four months and all or most would be to an island off the coast of Honduras. There is very little riding on the island that is relatively safe, think third world roads and traffic.

I am hoping to arrange my travel so that I am away for three weeks and back for two weeks. My current plan is to try and stay as active as possible with daily hikes, some limited running and some limited swimming. In addition I think I can focus some time on core work with planks etc. Then when I am back home spend as much time on the bike as possible.

The last time we rode this ride, our long rides peaked at about 110 miles. Currently we are riding 40 mile rides on weekends with a good amount of climbing.

I would appreciate any suggestions or experiences others have had that might help. We really would like to do this ride!

Pat Mc

christian
04-07-2013, 12:38 PM
1). Bring a bike and trainer if you can.
2). Run up hills.