PDA

View Full Version : Paris-Roubaix Live Discussion (With Spoilers)

MattTuck
04-07-2013, 06:21 AM
It's on!

cfox
04-07-2013, 06:29 AM
crack the shack. looks like some sesame street cooperation over there. world vs. shack

vav
04-07-2013, 06:29 AM
I have NBC sports in front of me with fish fish fish all over the place :)

vav
04-07-2013, 06:32 AM
edit: broadcast starts 8 AM EST NBC sports

MattTuck
04-07-2013, 06:33 AM
cyclingfans has several working feeds.

http://www.cyclingfans.com/node/7356

Use with adblockers.

MattTuck
04-07-2013, 06:36 AM
Greipel, starting his sprint with 110K to go....

MattTuck
04-07-2013, 07:02 AM
Looks like Taylor Phinney leading through the Arenberg.

MattTuck
04-07-2013, 07:56 AM
I have a strange urge to take a trip to Azerbaijan...

FlashUNC
04-07-2013, 07:59 AM
i have a strange urge to take a trip to azerbaijan...

salice: Made from sport.

Uncle Jam's Army
04-07-2013, 08:41 AM
I just picked up the race 5k ago. What happened to Phinney?

FlashUNC
04-07-2013, 08:46 AM
Amazing ride by Stybar so far.

thegunner
04-07-2013, 08:47 AM
i thought the swiss train wasn't pulling anyone to the line :p

azrider
04-07-2013, 08:48 AM
Amazing ride by Stybar so far.

when did he make switch to road ?

e-RICHIE
04-07-2013, 08:50 AM
when did he make switch to road ?

Uh three years ago atmo.

azrider
04-07-2013, 08:55 AM
Uh three years ago atmo.

ahhh.....well he's certainly learned how to follow wheels in short timemo

thegunner
04-07-2013, 08:57 AM
i'm not really sure what just happened there to stybar...? did he just hit someone who stuck their arm out?

azrider
04-07-2013, 08:58 AM
i'm not really sure what just happened there to stybar...? did he just hit someone who stuck their arm out?

Looked that way. Almost got clipped by the moto's. Those are some serious skills keeping it upright

FlashUNC
04-07-2013, 09:01 AM
Total shame. Hopefully he gets on the podium.

cmbicycles
04-07-2013, 09:05 AM
Anyone see how Andy Schleck is doing?:rolleyes:

thegunner
04-07-2013, 09:06 AM
oh no sep! what are you doing!?

thwart
04-07-2013, 09:22 AM
A true champion... if you can't win with your legs, win with your head.

572cv
04-07-2013, 09:24 AM
No Spoiler.... if you missed this conclusion, find the follow up video somewhere and take it in. A freaking track sprint after 250 bone jarring K's. Many dancing bananas!

azrider
04-07-2013, 09:25 AM
Can't ask for much more in a finish. Great race.

thwart
04-07-2013, 09:43 AM
"the longest fight since I've been riding my bike"...

pdmtong
04-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Where can I buy a pro-glide styler?

texbike
04-07-2013, 09:57 AM
Wow! That was hard fought. Congratulations to the top 2. It was good to see them working together.

Texbike

54ny77
04-07-2013, 10:23 AM
what a race!

slidey
04-07-2013, 10:32 AM
That was awesome!! :banana:

GregL
04-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Got to hand it to Sparty today. He proved he wasn't a one-trick pony. Rode tactically smart and then showed great patience and skill on the track. Brawn is good; brains and brawn are better.

Greg

thegunner
04-07-2013, 11:03 AM
Got to hand it to Sparty today. He proved he wasn't a one-trick pony. Rode tactically smart and then showed great patience and skill on the track. Brawn is good; brains and brawn are better.

Greg

I still think sep should've pulled a gerrans a la last year. they had a 1:10 gap, there was no reason for him to pull through that much. but alas, arm chair quarterbacking.

MattTuck
04-07-2013, 11:04 AM

Greg

Agreed. I've been a vocal critic of his lack of strategy (over reliance on power) in the past. This year, starting with Milan San Remo, I've been impressed by his ability to play race tactics.

He may have lost MSR, but I don't see many people unwilling to work with him anymore or purely marking him. It is so hard to win these races, and especially hard when you're marked. Very good racing.

beeatnik
04-07-2013, 11:06 AM
Where can I buy a pro-glide styler?

Where can I meet a lady who likes a little bit of chest hair, some on the abs, none on the back and none on da gunz?

cfox
04-07-2013, 01:05 PM
I still think sep should've pulled a gerrans a la last year. they had a 1:10 gap, there was no reason for him to pull through that much. but alas, arm chair quarterbacking.
100% correct. He had no business trying to look like a hero.

MattTuck
04-07-2013, 04:05 PM

I don't know much about Sep, he won het nieuwsblad last year if I recall, but he seemed a bit bigger on the bike than Fabian, and may have thought he had the advantage in a sprint.

I've often heard the lesson, "if you want to win xyz, you must be prepared to lose it." In this case, I think Sep is probably a straight up guy and figured he had an equal or better shot at winning a sprint, so he worked. Maybe a bit of inexperience led to him coming to the front too early (if he was afraid of the chasing group making it back to them), especially after FC attacked from behind.... but the fact that Sep was able to shut down that attack probably gave him some hope he wasn't at a huge disadvantage.

I think with some more experience, greed, or ice water in his veins, he'd have just let FC waste himself out there. But that risks his chance if FC tries to play the same game. And frankly, it was nice to see someone not afraid of FC and willing to work with him for a shot at victory.

With less than a bike length difference, I don't think Sep should feel bad at all about his race.

slidey
04-07-2013, 04:31 PM
I'm of the view that was an intentional half-dig by Fab with the express intent of having exactly the effect you mentioned.

...especially after FC attacked from behind.... but the fact that Sep was able to shut down that attack probably gave him some hope he wasn't at a huge disadvantage...

FlashUNC
04-07-2013, 04:36 PM
Sep lost because he bodged the sprint on the track. Was cunning enough to get Fabian to lead them into the velodrome, but couldn't hold that ideal second position.

Gotta give credit to Fabian. At the moment when he needed to be, he was smarter than the other guy. Because I don't think he was necessarily the stronger man today.

thegunner
04-07-2013, 05:11 PM
I'm of the view that was an intentional half-dig by Fab with the express intent of having exactly the effect you mentioned.

the guile of spartacus :)

1centaur
04-07-2013, 08:06 PM
Really sorry not to see Stybar make it to the sprint. Would have been a big tell of his potential on the road. He earned a lot of respect by seeing Fab's move and staying with him. Think he might have burned out along the way but if not, would have been great to see, and at the least would have changed the dynamic of the sprint. Obviously from how quickly he lost time after his incident he was not on a massive day, but we was a gritty wheel sucker when others could not match him.

Also would have been interesting if that trailing group had been just 2 seconds slower at the sprint finish. Might have created a moment's hesitation and affected the line taken.

ultraman6970
04-07-2013, 08:29 PM
Miss the darn race but read what happened and saw some videos moving around, looks like a few got really bad luck today eh?

Who ever gets FC next season will get podiums in the classics. Wonder who will be willing to pay for the Schrek brothers next season.

AgilisMerlin
04-07-2013, 09:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-dmgEJuw40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoXE2xasFKI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mmqVYnQZSA

ouch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH6I7LsmrtA

final 24:00 minutes

jpw
04-08-2013, 04:01 AM
Stybar did very well to stay upright. Other riders would have made a mess of the spectators to his left.

How not to ride the cobbles;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf2by7TCjdw

oldpotatoe
04-08-2013, 05:17 AM
It's on!

Holy moly, what a race. Do ya suppose there were any 'deals' made? Great finish, SO glad it was on the US TV. L-B-L in 2 weeks..on TV!!

Jaq
04-08-2013, 10:39 AM
Stybar did very well to stay upright. Other riders would have made a mess of the spectators to his left.

How not to ride the cobbles;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf2by7TCjdw

Just goes to show what a crap-shoot that race is. Riding along, absolutely no pressure to perform, you can really pick your line, ride the side without fear of smacking spectators. And yet even then it's still quite dangerous.

mcteague
04-08-2013, 11:42 AM
The fabulous Fabian couldn't stand when he got off the bike and pretty much had to be carried off. Talk about leaving it all on the road!

Tim

uno-speedo
04-08-2013, 12:07 PM
Insane weekend and amazing race. Having ridden the pave on Saturday my respect level just shot up a massive notch, to put it mildly.

I encourage everyone to go!!!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8112/8628618632_db280f410c_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8533/8631208283_46d92d93ab_z.jpg

Jaq
04-08-2013, 12:27 PM
You know what would be an awesome prize? A slot on a recon ride with a team. Ride a short segment (or longer if they'll let you and you've got the legs), get a jersey and call it epic.

BSUdude
04-08-2013, 12:44 PM
If I was in Sep's position I would probably be thinking "Holy #$@# I am in a position to win Roubaix and riding alone with Cancellara!" As a younger rider I could see how it might be hard to keep all your logical racing wits about you in that situation.

At that point I might be a little starstruck and just go pull because this cycling god is flicking his elbow. At least until my team director yells at me to stop or Fabian tries to burn me while I'm pulling.

Overall great race. Fabian looked completely wiped.

I don't know much about Sep, he won het nieuwsblad last year if I recall, but he seemed a bit bigger on the bike than Fabian, and may have thought he had the advantage in a sprint.

I've often heard the lesson, "if you want to win xyz, you must be prepared to lose it." In this case, I think Sep is probably a straight up guy and figured he had an equal or better shot at winning a sprint, so he worked. Maybe a bit of inexperience led to him coming to the front too early (if he was afraid of the chasing group making it back to them), especially after FC attacked from behind.... but the fact that Sep was able to shut down that attack probably gave him some hope he wasn't at a huge disadvantage.

I think with some more experience, greed, or ice water in his veins, he'd have just let FC waste himself out there. But that risks his chance if FC tries to play the same game. And frankly, it was nice to see someone not afraid of FC and willing to work with him for a shot at victory.

With less than a bike length difference, I don't think Sep should feel bad at all about his race.