PDA

View Full Version : Long Orange Rides: MXL or BLE?

baselthedog
11-21-2005, 11:44 PM
Well I've been entertaining the crazy notion of diving straight for the Big Leg Emma, with an MX Leader as an alternative (hmmm, I swear I didn't start out wanting orange, or beefy). I know this is the Serotta forum but it's really a closet Pegoretti and Merckx forum too (shhh). I just really like what they represent, each in their unique and different way, in terms of very finely finessed design. But despite reading what I think is every thread on this and other forums about the two orange beasts, I haven't found any opinions regarding the BLE's suitability for long days in the saddle goals. Can anyone weigh in? Messers dbrk, dnovo, jerk -- don't you all have experience with both bikes? Thanks.

(And yes I know one is half the price of the other, and one is half again as heavier).

Happy Thanksgiving, y'all.

Ken Robb
11-21-2005, 11:51 PM
If we are talking about stock frames here the geometry of one vs. the other may be your deciding factor, not to mention the huge price differential.

jerk
11-22-2005, 08:27 AM
they are both big guy bikes. the mx leader is more of an all day race bike whereas the emma is really built for short courses with lots of accelerations and attacks like a criterium or a kermesse. "for all day comfort" poking around at 18mph and listening to the birds chirp either one would work the jerk supposes but the mx leader is probably the way to go..although a corsa or a duende are probably better suited to this type of riding as they are lighter, cheaper and designed around it.

the mx leader and the emma are both hard core race bikes.....but it all comes down to what you want right?

jerk

Fixed
11-22-2005, 08:34 AM
bro get the mx I don't know anything about the peg but I've lusted after a mx for over 10 years iam sure you will be happy with either cheers :beer:

Climb01742
11-22-2005, 09:44 AM
i'm a lightweight wuss so perhaps my reaction to the mxl is odd but i really dig it. i got a corsa 01 (which in theory is more suited to my meager power output) but i'm coming to the conclusion that i like the mxl better. for some reason i don't find it too stiff or overbuilt. over bad pavement it is amazingly smooth. everyone says the mxl is a big boy bike, but for whatever reasons, this wuss digs it.

Tailwinds
11-22-2005, 09:52 AM
The jerk is right.

I digress, but I love this long orange bike.

http://www.kirkframeworks.com/GdB%20girls%20400.jpg

Big Dan
11-22-2005, 09:59 AM
Have to agree with Climb0, the MX is a great bike.
I'm sure the BLE is pretty good too......... :D

The first time I rode my MX I had to get off the bike after the first couple of strokes.
I thought the brakes were rubbing or something. It was the engine not the bike.

A handful at low speed, a cadillac after that.... :p

Fixed
11-22-2005, 10:11 AM
The jerk is right.

I digress, but I love this long orange bike.

http://www.kirkframeworks.com/GdB%20girls%20400.jpg
bro mr kirk you got one page for your new bike calander three nice looking bikes and three nice looking ladies with taste i.m.h.o. cheers :beer:

Sandy
11-22-2005, 10:22 AM
bro mr kirk you got one page for your new bike calander three nice looking bikes and three nice looking ladies with taste i.m.h.o. cheers :beer:

You got that right!

Beautiful bikes.
Beautiful ladies.
Beautiful picture.

But where are the dogs??

Sandy

Tailwinds
11-22-2005, 10:27 AM
I wanted to post a picture for Sandy, but we are still having @#$%^&* difficulties. :confused:

Kevan
11-22-2005, 10:42 AM
Here on the forum.

baselthedog
11-22-2005, 10:42 AM
are really beautiful together (ditto the riders). Things in a series tend to exert a magical effect. How come beautiful bikes tend to be shown as singular objects? Would the stuff on Richard Sach's website look even more luscious if they were photographed together? Maybe the next Pegoretti catalog could juxtapose bikes in tandem; how's that for a paint scheme? Anyone tried to order two Pegs (same model, but paint scheme designed for the "duo") at the same time? Ooohhh I'm getting excited.

pdonk
11-22-2005, 11:41 AM
I miss seeing another picture of a white garage door.

Len J
11-22-2005, 12:41 PM
i'm a lightweight wuss so perhaps my reaction to the mxl is odd but i really dig it. i got a corsa 01 (which in theory is more suited to my meager power output) but i'm coming to the conclusion that i like the mxl better. for some reason i don't find it too stiff or overbuilt. over bad pavement it is amazingly smooth. everyone says the mxl is a big boy bike, but for whatever reasons, this wuss digs it.

MXL...one of the best bikes ever made.

Len

Fixed
11-22-2005, 12:51 PM
Bro I've asked this before but I never get a response could/would a custom shop like serotta make you a bike like the mx or a b.l.e.? my guess the tubing would not be the same what do you dudes think?. cheers :beer:

Dr. Doofus
11-22-2005, 01:07 PM
Bro I've asked this before but I never get a response could/would a custom shop like serotta make you a bike like the mx or a b.l.e.? my guess the tubing would not be the same what do you dudes think?. cheers :beer:

if you want racehoss steel bike serotta could do it, no problem

mad stupid OS CC tubes they could do

big fat chainstays they could do

short stays they could do

so who's gonna plug plug on a steel badmuthabrutha serotta crit bike so we can see the pics??????

cpg
11-22-2005, 02:26 PM
Yes, they could be built by others. The tubes are readily available. Just because others aren't doing it doesn't mean it can't be done.

Curt

Cadence230
11-22-2005, 02:56 PM
Things in a series tend to exert a magical effect. Would the stuff on Richard Sach's website look even more luscious if they were photographed together?
Likie dis? http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/5060/b0765zm.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Big Dan
11-22-2005, 03:13 PM
Fixed, find a CSi, Corsa or Waterford and you'll be happy.
The MXL is a brute and I mean that in a good way...... :D

Fixed
11-22-2005, 03:33 PM
bro thanks i just love all kinds of bikes I'm happy with what i have ,I have a steel fork on my bike now cheers :beer: