PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade from Campagnolo Protons?

Marz
04-06-2013, 08:35 PM
I have had a set of Protons for six years and they are the lightest wheels I own. Mainly, I've spent money on acquiring dream bikes and putting the Protons on them. I remember I chose them as they were listed at 90 grams more than Neutrons for a considerable saving in 2006.

The wheels are great and have never given me any trouble.

But after finishing a Look 585 build and trying to make it as light as practical without weight weenie products I'm wondering if I would notice a difference by getting a pair of Shamals. Protons were listed at 1610 grams, I think, and clincher Shamals hover around 1400 grams.

They seem so cheap at Ribble (for what you get) that it's become a siren call.

I suppose I'm fishing for reasons not to upgrade, and yes, I know the Eddy Merckx mantra.

Lovetoclimb
04-06-2013, 09:01 PM
Pair a dream bike with dream wheels? Those Pacenti SL23s handbuilt to some Campy Hubs would be a strong competitor to Shamals. Might even be close in price too.

dd74
04-06-2013, 09:30 PM
Shamal wheels are darn good. Best clincher I've ever ridden. But I don't think of them as "dream wheels." Lightweights are dream wheels.

bluesea
04-06-2013, 09:55 PM
Pair a dream bike with dream wheels? Those Pacenti SL23s handbuilt to some Campy Hubs would be a strong competitor to Shamals. Might even be close in price too.

Less expensive than UK Shamal prices.

dd74
04-06-2013, 10:00 PM
Interesting:

http://www.wiggle.com/campagnolo-shamal-ultra-tubular-road-bike-wheelset/

oldpotatoe
04-07-2013, 07:09 AM
I have had a set of Protons for six years and they are the lightest wheels I own. Mainly, I've spent money on acquiring dream bikes and putting the Protons on them. I remember I chose them as they were listed at 90 grams more than Neutrons for a considerable saving in 2006.

The wheels are great and have never given me any trouble.

But after finishing a Look 585 build and trying to make it as light as practical without weight weenie products I'm wondering if I would notice a difference by getting a pair of Shamals. Protons were listed at 1610 grams, I think, and clincher Shamals hover around 1400 grams.

They seem so cheap at Ribble (for what you get) that it's become a siren call.

I suppose I'm fishing for reasons not to upgrade, and yes, I know the Eddy Merckx mantra.

No...about the weight of 3 powerbars...

Lose the weight off you...

Marz
04-07-2013, 07:32 AM
Thanks, needed someone to say it. Saving me over $800.

Ahhhh, I feel better now.

summilux
04-07-2013, 07:38 AM
I've been down this road before. From clincher Protons to clincher Neutrons and now with tubular Eurus. If I were to rate Protons as 6/10, Neutrons would be 8/10 and Eurus 9/10. I also have a few sets of hand built Record/Chorus hubs laced to Mavic Reflex and I'd put those at about 8/10. The Protons are the heaviest but the others weight about the same. It's not just the weight, its how lively, responsive and fun the wheels feel.

Buy the BEST rubber. I'm partial to Veloflex.

FlashUNC
04-07-2013, 07:39 AM
If you're happy with the Protons, keep riding them.

Marz
04-07-2013, 07:55 AM
I've been down this road before. From clincher Protons to clincher Neutrons and now with tubular Eurus. If I were to rate Protons as 6/10, Neutrons would be 8/10 and Eurus 9/10. I also have a few sets of hand built Record/Chorus hubs laced to Mavic Reflex and I'd put those at about 8/10. The Protons are the heaviest but the others weight about the same. It's not just the weight, its how lively, responsive and fun the wheels feel.

Currently using Cont 4000 and sometimes swap with Open Corsa Evo 23mm, but will use Veloflex next for sure. Everyone raves about them.

OT: Hey are you a Leica lover? I used to use a 50mm Summilux on my M4.

MilanoTom
04-07-2013, 08:23 AM
What he said, including the rubber.

Regards,
Tom

reggiebaseball
04-07-2013, 10:43 AM
Currently using Cont 4000 and sometimes swap with Open Corsa Evo 23mm, but will use Veloflex next for sure. Everyone raves about them.

the rubber matters way more than the wheel I think.
So, if you have always been ok with your current wheels,
then
changing to really sweet veloflex tires will be the best upgrade.

so you are doing the right thing.