PDA

View Full Version : 30 minutes with Bob Wolleck

Doc Austin
11-21-2005, 10:24 PM
A couple of years ago I went to Sebring the day before the 12 hour race to do some model business with the vendors and some of the drivers I build for. Generally, all the drivers are approachable no matter how famous they are. They are just guys and I have something they want anyway, so they are happy to see me. Hey, somebody has to do it!

After I got done with business, it was late and we needed to head back. I stumbled across French racing driver Bob Wolleck, who was chatting with some journalists and packing his gear. Very famous guy. Had won just about everything except LeMans, but had raced there something like 28 consecutive years. Multiple Porsche Cup champion and three Daytona 24 hours wins.

He was known for being a mad cycling enthusiast. He would travel to most of the the European auto races on his bicycle, sometimes hundreds of miles, and then race the car for 1000k. And then ride home. He even kept a bike in the states for when he would fly over here for a car race. So I had to have a quick word with him about bicycles.

I wandered up and just asked him if he liked a steel or titanium frame. He immeadiately waved everyone else away, "Go! Go away!" and we sat on a stack of tires for about a half hour, just two guys talking about bicycles. We were at one of the most important events of the year and it was like auto racing didn't even exist for us.

It was getting dark and he was desperate to get out of there so he could get a ride in. Tomorrow was the car race and he wouldn't get to ride. It was almost like he didn't enjoy motoracing because he couldn't cycle every day. He made me promise to meet him and some friends at the airport on Sunday morning and join them for a ride. So, I couldn't say no.

I was pretty excited to get home (two hours by car) and tell my friends about my latest adventure. I was on the phone and taking my shoes off, waiting for the computer to boot when my home page, Speedvison, came up "Bob Wolleck killed in traffic accident." It was a drunk in a motorhome.

He was 56. I was probably one of, if not the last people he ever spoke to.

I like to remember him and share the story of when we met. He was an interesting guy with a big cycling heart.

The Spider
11-22-2005, 12:25 AM
that was truely inspiring....and then incredibly devastating.

siena01
11-22-2005, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the story. I, too, am a fan of endurance car racing and vividly remember Wollek's "crusty" demeanor at a trophy presentation at Road Atlanta a few years ago. He and the Belgian Thierry Boutsen had just partnered in a Porsche GT1 and won their class and my wife and I were about twenty feet away watching the winning drivers whooping and hollering and spraying champagne. All except Wollek, that is. Even thought the race was over he was very serious -- almost dour -- in a McQueen cool kind of way. What I really noticed was how the other drivers -- most of them new school by comparison -- were VERY respectful of Wollek. They knew he was THE MAN and that he had been there and done that (keep in mind that some of the others were guys like Boutsen and Stefan Johannsen who were both Formula 1 race winners).

It was quite a shock to hear about Wollek's death just a few months later.

Would love to know what he said about bikes. Did he tell you what brands he owned? Did he, in fact, prefer titanium, steel, aluminum, or CF?

Doc Austin
11-22-2005, 02:32 PM
Would love to know what he said about bikes. Did he tell you what brands he owned? Did he, in fact, prefer titanium, steel, aluminum, or CF?

He didn't say much more than how much he loved it.....and that was for 30 minutes, so you know he really meant it. The whole thing is sort of a blurr because of the way it ended, but I do remember him saying he liked the speedplay petals.

When in Germany he would do a couple of laps of the famous 14 mile Nurburgring. He did spend alot of time telling me what a nice ride that was. I guess when (if) I finally get to go over there and ride the ring, I'll spend alot of time remembering Bob.

TimD
11-22-2005, 02:49 PM
Wollek's reputation aside, despite driving for Shadow, Spirit, Tyrrell, Toleman, Ferrari, McLaren, Ligier, Onyx, AGS, and Footwork, I don't believe Stefan Johansson has won an F1 race.

TimD

siena01
11-22-2005, 04:57 PM
Kudos, Tim! I submitted the reply and then began second guessing myself about whether or not Stefan J had actually WON an F1 race. I got Boutsen right, though!

P.S. R.I.P. Ayrton Senna

Phil Selisker
11-22-2005, 05:04 PM
Great story Doc, I remember watching him back in the IMSA glory days. Those races and racers (haywood, folmer, hobbs, holbert, gregg) were the best. I hope you get to "The Ring" one day. :)

Doc Austin
11-23-2005, 01:01 AM
I submitted the reply and then began second guessing myself about whether or not Stefan J had actually WON an F1 race.

Stefan was leading Imola (which may as well be in Italy) in a Ferrari and ran out of fuel on the last lap. Outsise of Monza, there couldn't have possibly been a worse place to lose a in that fashion while driving for Ferrari.

However, Stefan has won big sportscar races like the 12 hours of Sebring, and the even bigger 24 hueres Du Man. Right now he is racing in the Grand American series in the second factory Lexus entry.

TimD
11-23-2005, 06:40 AM
Imola is in Italy :) The race has been titled "The Grand Prix of (the Republic of) San Marino" to sidestep the FIA rule prohibiting one country from hosting more than 1 Grand Prix, unless they are held 3000 Km apart.

I think that rule was ignored at various times in the 1980s with respect to the United States. It may no longer be in effect.

TimD