PDA

View Full Version : Randonneuring

Ssalmon
04-06-2013, 12:11 PM
I have been thinking about randonneuring and I was wondering if anyone had any advice or experiences they wanted to share? In lieu of the USAC enforcing the no non-sanctioned events thing I have decided not to renew my license. I don't want to deal with stupid rules for something that is just supposed to be a fun hobby, randonneuring seems to be a better option. I am fully aware that it is not a race against others, I like that it is a race against yourself. Any feedback would be great!

Bruce K
04-06-2013, 12:32 PM
Try contacting RABikes2

She has been doing this for a while with rides at Boston-Montreal-Boston, Paris-Brest-Paris, and most recently, RAAM

BK

roydyates
04-06-2013, 12:45 PM
I have been thinking about randonneuring and I was wondering if anyone had any advice or experiences they wanted to share? In lieu of the USAC enforcing the no non-sanctioned events thing I have decided not to renew my license. I don't want to deal with stupid rules for something that is just supposed to be a fun hobby, randonneuring seems to be a better option. I am fully aware that it is not a race against others, I like that it is a race against yourself. Any feedback would be great!

There are lots and lots of randonneur blog ride reports. They are very detailed, and, frankly, unless they involve personal friends, often a little boring. I wrote up my PBP 2011 report at
http://www.njrando.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=810
and it is really boring (although my wife liked it.)

However, randonneuring is really great in a strange way that is not captured by ride reports filled with details about stayed fueled.

So try a 200K and if you like it, try a few more.

Once you're in, you can enter the perpetual state of rando bike optimization where you get to rethink all of your previous bike configuration choices. :)

Peter B
04-06-2013, 01:05 PM

I've ridden a few. Start with RUSA (http://www.rusa.org/) and UMCA (http://www.ultracycling.com/).

palincss
04-06-2013, 04:52 PM
You don't say where you're located. Many areas have local clubs. In the metro DC area, it's DC Randonneurs. There's plenty of information that would help you with your questions on the http://dcrand.org web site. Also, when you join Randonneurs USA you receive a handbook with much helpful information.

Ssalmon
04-06-2013, 07:03 PM
Once you're in, you can enter the perpetual state of rando bike optimization where you get to rethink all of your previous bike configuration choices. :)

I'm already in that state : D

I will be moving to the twin cities area in Minnesota at the end of the summer and I hope to get involved with the twin cities cycling club.

bironi
04-06-2013, 07:58 PM
Give it a shot if interested. It's for some and not others. I dropped out of a Seattle area club years ago when it became Rando centric. I did some 200 mile rides, but none in the **** weather they seem to prefer now. They were not looking for every climb, gravel road, etc. at that time - they are now.

Have at it. There is competition at the front as well. Do a little digging in your reading and you'll see.:beer:

JLP
04-06-2013, 11:50 PM
I love the rando thing because it truly is a big tent.

There are the fast people going for time, and there are people just hanging on (or not) to the time limit. Some people ride only 100k. Others bag 1200's around the planet. It is all good.

But the randos are a friendly lot.

Yeah, start at with Randonneurs USA and use that site to find your RBA -- Regional Brevet Administrator and local clubs. Just have a taste; you can quit any time you want.

Here are a bunch of silly Seattle folk:

http://vimeo.com/31356319

I'm the idiot talking and running the ride. JP

plattyjo
04-07-2013, 12:16 AM
I just started randonnerding in the Bay Area and it's been an uniquely fun challenge; going from racing track, CX -- I wanted to try something different. I love riding in areas I haven't explored before, and the community is super supportive here. Here's my latest ride report of our 360k Fleche (http://www.plattyjo.com/2013/03/randonneur-ride-report-360k-fleche-from-davis-to-san-francisco/#comment-1473) (and other related posts appear at the bottom of the post.)

palincss
04-07-2013, 06:25 AM

You might want to take a look at Jan's blog entry on getting your bike ready for randonneuring (http://janheine.wordpress.com/2013/03/04/getting-your-bike-ready-for-randonneuring/).

godfrey1112000
04-07-2013, 07:55 AM
Some of the Toughest rides have been brevets, I am a 200k and 300k person, my wife thinks riding at night is not a good Idea,

Yesterday was the 300k and the route was an east/west affair with about 9k of climbing, winds all day 25-30ssw, very difficult conditions

I think there are a few still out there

Overall it is a great type of event but not for everyone, you learn how to stuff your pockets, cue sheet reading and know where every C-store is on the route

rain dogs
04-07-2013, 06:14 PM
I have a polarizing relationship with randonneuring. Full disclosure, I don't have a ton of experience with it (I've done 4 shorter brevets), but that's due to the polarizing nature of it for me.

These are only my personal observations and may not apply to anyone but me, but I thought I'd share.

1. I love riding my bike very long distances and for a very long number of hours, but I don't like riding through the night (which can rule out any of the 600km+ rides depending on your speed)

2. I like riding fast, but it's not a race and I don't want to race on those rides, but on the longer brevets it is a race... against the clock if you don't wanna ride through the night. If you wanna sleep for 2 hours you can take er easy. If you wanna sleep for 6hrs and eat breakfast you've got to hammer.

3. I appreciate the necessity for rules because it is timed, but I don't like the inflexibility of very early start times even if I can do a sub 7hr 200km. Start times are usually 6am, and locations can be hours from my house, which often means a hotel the night before cause I don' have a car.

4. Lastly, I don't like that the shortest regular brevet is 200km. I have many friends who I'd like to do these rides with, but 200km is a lot. I think there should be regular "into to rando" rides that are 100km many times a year.

These may be local considerations only:

I don't like how many of the routes use the same roads even for various distances. Many of the routes here take advantage of the "non-cheat-ability" of roads, loops and destinations. Again, I'm fine with rules, but I sometimes get bored of the same "track". Especially when the long brevets can just be several cycles of the shorter route. Round and round we go...

All in all, I like the club, the people are great and the riding can be very challenging both physically and mentally. I've done two already this year and am really going to try and do a full 200, 300, 400, 600 this year. We'll see how it goes.

You should definitely try it. :banana:

palincss
04-07-2013, 08:58 PM
Have you looked into Permanents? You get to pick the start time, and there are plenty that are under 200k (permanent populaires).

godfrey1112000
04-07-2013, 09:15 PM
Everyone got in after 25-30mph cross winds, first finishers were 1030pm some finished after 1am, after starting at 6am the day before, Manly Men not to mention the 9600 ft of climbing

Several DNF's but it beats the 200k a month earlier which ended in a 9" blizzard

Brevets are fun

Some of the Toughest rides have been brevets, I am a 200k and 300k person, my wife thinks riding at night is not a good Idea,

Yesterday was the 300k and the route was an east/west affair with about 9k of climbing, winds all day 25-30ssw, very difficult conditions

I think there are a few still out there

Overall it is a great type of event but not for everyone, you learn how to stuff your pockets, cue sheet reading and know where every C-store is on the route