PDA

View Full Version : 7 days a week

Fixed
11-21-2005, 09:26 PM
bro any of you dudes think riding everyday is bad or good? I ride cos i don't own a car and it's my job some days I just ride easy but I ride everyday,and I like to ride everyday cheers :beer:

Dekonick
11-21-2005, 09:31 PM
Do you walk 7 days a week?

Spoke with a few of the trainers I know and consensus seems to be training 7 days would be bad, but how can just riding be bad? If its what you do I would think you are fine. I wouldnt do intervals...well I dont anyway :D

Sounds like a good question for Josh to answer:)

93legendti
11-21-2005, 09:34 PM
I ride 7-8 days in a row and then take a day off.

jerk
11-21-2005, 09:40 PM
bro any of you dudes think riding everyday is bad or good? I ride cos i don't own a car and it's my job some days I just ride easy but I ride everyday,and I like to ride everyday cheers :beer:

bro imho you already know the answer to this question.
cheers :beer:
jerk

Fixed
11-21-2005, 10:05 PM
bro might not be the best for the body to ride everyday but it's good for the soul i.m.h.o. I ride by feel if I feel good I go if I feel tried i go easy like really easy I am on a bike about+- 25 hours a week. i would think there are other guys who ride that much or more I just don't know any one around here that rides that much all year cheers :beer:

The Spider
11-22-2005, 12:28 AM
7 days per week on bike = reduced recovery but fantastic increases in Mojo.

Rapid Tourist
11-22-2005, 04:28 AM
Fixed have you ever counted the miles you ride in a year? I'd be curious what your milage is. Cheers.

cs124
11-22-2005, 04:43 AM
7 days per week on bike ...

I used to do that, 5 days of commuting + training, crit races on Thursday night & Saturday arvo and long recovery ride on Sunday morning...ahhh, those were the days.

Wouldn't be able to do it now...spirit willing/flesh weak and all that...

Ray
11-22-2005, 05:34 AM
Some weeks I ride every day, sometimes a day or two will go by where I don't ride at all. But I never ride any distance or intensity more than 4-5 times a week, frequently only 3 times. The other days are usually just 5-10 miles riding my errand bike or fixed gear around town taking care of business. I just take it easy and get where I'm going. Not sure I could handle any real distance riding every day - I have trouble going easy enough if I have a long distance to cover. No desire to try it really.

-Ray

Dr. Doofus
11-22-2005, 05:41 AM
your body already knows the answer and so do you

7 is heaven

just take 2 ESG

Fixed
11-22-2005, 05:44 AM
I used to do that, 5 days of commuting + training, crit races on Thursday night & Saturday arvo and long recovery ride on Sunday morning...ahhh, those were the days.

Wouldn't be able to do it now...spirit willing/flesh weak and all that...bro that's my summer training. this time of year I do 2 group rides wed. and sat the rest is by myself I ve never used a computer but my weekday mileage is about 30 a lot 2-5- trips sat is fast 60 wed a.m. fast 40 sun easy 70 or 3-4 hour ride cheers :beer:

Too Tall
11-22-2005, 06:31 AM
Folks Fixed is a superstudmuffin. The yrly hr.s he is on a bike IF they were training miles would be more than any Pro AND his mileage is roughly what I put on our second vehicle...in the 'hood of 15k. Now THAT's very cool. Obvioulsy fixed knows how to take care of himself or the yrs. of work and play would not be possible. Same deal applies to folks who ride everyday, if you don't have your house in order something will fail. Decent diet, good sleep and recovery so you can enjoy daily exercise. Everyone is different and some are genetically weighted to deal with rigours more than others and some are just plain NOT gifted BUT they do an excellent job of managing their training regimes so that the accumulated stress managed in a positive outcome.

To use myself as an example...I am not gifted or genetically weighted for super athletic abilities but I'm ontop of my training plan and pay tons of attention to diet and recovery and that let's me train or just ride 7 days a week.

The gifted athletes who can take seemingly unlimited training stress and recover overnight still amaze me. When the big guy was handing out Olympic Genes I asked for two pair of 501 button flys...whyohwhyohwho?

Dr. Doofus
11-22-2005, 07:02 AM
TT right ya

be diet good

be restful good

ride 5 BHN

ride 2 ESG

everything good ya

doof ride twice day five days

doof ride once day two days easy very

doof happy lucky

Fixed
11-22-2005, 07:11 AM
bro I only do 2 hard days and one med. long days the rest is all easy like I ride a lot on sidewalks when it's bad out like rush hour that why I'm still around after 15 years of this thanks for your kind words but I bet any of you guys could ride as much as i do if you wanted to i.m.h.o. cheers :beer:

Sandy
11-22-2005, 07:12 AM
Why do you ride twice a day (for 5 days)? Why not just once? Time constraints? Do you really do 12 rides per week? How many miles, if I may ask, do you ride in a year? How much money do you have in the bank? Account number, please.

Sandy

Dr. Doofus
11-22-2005, 07:36 AM
time constraints

first ride 4:00-5:00 or 5:30 AM

second ride 4:30-6:00 PM

wife no like two hours+ training evenings or weekends

doof no money

ride gunnar and cheap frame from jerk

Allez!
11-22-2005, 08:38 AM
Hi Fixed –
Is it bad to ride 7 days a week? I have no idea what the correct answer is from a sports medicine standpoint.
I will tell you that I am green with envy.
I would love to ride as much as you do.
To me a ride is an escape, valuable time away from other commitments.
The fresh perspective and re-centering is very important to me.
Based on your posts, you have a very thoughtful and positive outlook – I’m sure that you do a lot of thinking while riding – it shows.
More power to you! Go Bro!

The Spider
11-22-2005, 12:22 PM
I rode all seven days, Mon to Friday commute = 100km, training ride wednedsay morning and Thursday night (50km each). ride to the nearest hill in the rain and back on Saturday morning (100km). Sunday - down the beach and then pedal off to watch some races (70km.).

On the Monday morning and Thursday afternoon (before the group ride) I did weights, (leg session) at the gym.

The commuting is the soft recovery part of the week and I find that recovery takes 36 hours instead of some peoples 24.

Commuting slows down the recovery and therefore your upper ability to perform and achieve BUT it does save money, time and the planet!

Bomboloni = heaven

Too Tall
11-22-2005, 12:32 PM
T.S., hit the nail on the head. Bicycle commuting keeps me out of a car and permits training while going to and from work however in the race season it is nearly impossible to commute and race train because I can not fully recover.

Fixed
11-22-2005, 12:43 PM
T.S., hit the nail on the head. Bicycle commuting keeps me out of a car and permits training while going to and from work however in the race season it is nearly impossible to commute and race train because I can not fully recover.
bro I agree that is one of the bad things about bein a bike mess I don't get to taper the way some of the other guys do but that ok it's all good cheers :beer:

cs124
11-22-2005, 02:08 PM
...off to watch some races (70km.).

Yo Spider, you racin' this season? :beer:

Brian Smith
11-22-2005, 05:24 PM
some folks think courier riding must be good training.
courier riding is the best training for courier riding.
5 days per week courier riding is, I think, no better training for racing than 2 days per week actual training.
riding around for transportation helps maintain some strength, but is really not fitness training either.
time on the bike in the streets is good training for race courses and race traffic, it's always the folks with hours in the saddle who seem to have the "soul" to surmount race "conditions" since they surmount them in a day to day manner as well.
but those who write off those riders' performance as being due to better physical conditioning are full of it - they achieve it in spite of their physical conditioning, imo.

Fixed
11-22-2005, 06:01 PM
bro I agree with mr smith he knows more about bikes and biking than i ever will .when you'r a messenger you never go into the pain zone like you do when your in a pace line at your max for a hour or more and most of the ridin is pretty easy except when it's hot, cold, raining ,windy this time of year is a piece of cake but try it in july with 40 pounds of mail on your back .I do agree you get good at what you do most. i get beat at races by guys who spend half as much time riding as i do but I am almost always there at the end I have learned one thing never quit I 'm not scared of any bike rider when you ride next to a mack trucks and taxi cabs all day I know I can hang on in a road race/ride now mt bikein is another story cheers :beer:

Cadence230
11-22-2005, 06:53 PM
bro imho fwiw riding 7 consecutive days or 70 is great you just need to have easy days or easy sessions to give your legs a chance to relax and your system to get extra nutrients by increasing circlulation w/o pedaling hard being a mess would of course make it difficult so if whenever you could it would be wise to pedal softly for a day or two even on the job possible? if you have some type of trainer at home you could spin ever so softly with almost no resistance for a half hour after work and or before work but what do i know im just a looney artist just my tow cents worth compei :beer:

Fixed
11-22-2005, 09:01 PM
bro domo arigato cadence san compai :beer:

The Spider
11-23-2005, 01:11 AM
as a sacrifice to the cycling gods I decided to make sure that I rode every day for a month, some were training days, other days commute, others were 15 minutes on a trainer...did me no good at all, but the body gets used to using the saddle time to regulate functions and I found that my mind and body felt better after just 10 minutes....

lesson is...

you don't have to do big long rides to love the bike, ride around the block whilst your wife washes down the children or when they go to bed...it's still worth it! and your body will thank you for it.

racing next year: thinking about it. In reality riding with Nico and Updave (state champ) is like racing anyway!

Serpico
11-23-2005, 02:23 AM
this is why I listen to Fixed, he rides 24x7 and he gets PAID to ride

that might sound like a small detail, but when your livelyhood is RIDING a bike, I think it brings a different perspective--durability and pragmatism when evaluating gear/technique

:beer: