PDA

View Full Version : OT: Firefox

musgravecycles
11-21-2005, 08:16 PM
Any other Mozilla Firefox users out there? It's worked great for almost a year now, but gradually I've been getting more and more

"the operation timed out when attempting to contact (insert x website here)"

messages, to the point where it will only load the window every other attempt. If I try a second time that 'usually' works, but sometimes try 3-4 times before the window loads. The other 'funky' thing is that since yesterday it won't load my homepage backpacker.com (I use their email). It'll load ok with IE but not with mozilla anymore...

Any good computer techforums out there...

neverraced
11-21-2005, 08:19 PM
Go tot he home page.

Dude
11-21-2005, 10:07 PM
I've used it for about a year and a half with no problems.

William
11-22-2005, 05:13 AM
Ditto,
No problems at all.

William

Ray
11-22-2005, 05:29 AM
Used for more than a year. It's less prone to pop-ups and other little evils than Microsoft's explorer, but this will probably change as it gets more popular, if it does.

-Ray

ajhoop
11-22-2005, 07:26 AM
I've been using it for a while with no problems either. Probably close to a year on my PC at work and for about 5 months on my Powerbook at home. Love the Tabs!!

Tom
11-22-2005, 07:54 AM
I had the same issue with another browser... timeouts and then it works on the second try. It turned out my cable modem was bad and I was dropping packets. There's a few diagnostic websites out there where you can run connection tests... also go into a DOS window and ping somebody like google a bunch of times in a row. I can't remember the syntax but you can tell ping to go like 25 times at once. If you lose a significant fraction call your ISP. Also, traceroute somebody like google a few times. Watch where it fails. Another guy I know traced it to one particular router at their ISP.

I also had a bizarre one where I had a java module get unregistered and really weird stuff would happen... like the horizontal buttons on the Serotta site wouldn't display or work but the vertical ones would. Of course, if you're running a real OS like Linux and not Windoze like I do because I'm stupid and lazy this might not apply.

Definitely diagnose your connections, though. It may have nothing to do with your OS or browser.

musgravecycles
11-22-2005, 12:31 PM
Thanks Tom that sounds about right, I'm on a spotty University connection...
I'll check into it...

ericmurphy
11-22-2005, 02:24 PM
If it loads with IE but not Firefox, it's not your connection. Try clearing your Cache from Tools:Preferences:Privacy. Sometimes your cache will get corrupted and interfere with the ability to load webpages.