PDA

View Full Version : Helmet for round heads?

Bkat
04-05-2013, 12:01 PM
Trying to find a road bike helmet to fit my wife's round (Asian) head. Looking for a nice, lightweight helmet (i.e. not the Bern commuter/hipster type) but most we've found seem to be oval for the common western head shapes. Any suggestions or better yet, first hand experience with this search?

ahumblecycler
04-05-2013, 12:08 PM
The Giro Air Attack is the best fitting helmet I ever placed on my head. I wish I did not already have a Genesis NIB as a back-up; otherwise, I would have bought the Attack on the spot!

vqdriver
04-05-2013, 12:16 PM
to be sure we're talking about the same thing, you mention head shape as a horizontal cross section, correct? i have the same shape and problem. many helmet shapes taper too much at the front and put pressure on the sides or temple area. this was most prominent with giro helmets. i had better luck with bell and las, but it was hit and miss. my go-to for helmets has been specialized. they fit the best without any narrowing. i'm on a s-works now. luckily it's not some obscure boutique brand so finding a dealer shouldn't be too hard and they have models all up and down the price range.

Bkat
04-05-2013, 12:17 PM
The Giro Air Attack is the best fitting helmet I ever placed on my head. I wish I did not already have a Genesis NIB as a back-up; otherwise, I would have bought the Attack on the spot!

Suitable for a rounder head? She tried one Giro (I forgot which one) and it was a bad fit.

Bkat
04-05-2013, 12:18 PM
to be sure we're talking about the same thing, you mention head shape as a horizontal cross section, correct? i have the same shape and problem. many helmet shapes taper too much at the front and put pressure on the sides or temple area. this was most prominent with giro helmets. i had better luck with bell and las, but it was hit and miss. my go-to for helmets has been specialized. they fit the best without any narrowing. i'm on a s-works now. luckily it's not some obscure boutique brand so finding a dealer shouldn't be too hard and they have models all up and down the price range.

Correct. Horizontal cross section. You are spot on with the taper issue.

christian
04-05-2013, 12:27 PM
I have a pretty normal head, I think. Bell and Giro fit well. I tried a Catlike. It was very voluminous above my ears, so that might be worth trying.

vqdriver
04-05-2013, 12:29 PM
Correct. Horizontal cross section. You are spot on with the taper issue.

cool. find a larger, higher end, specialized dealer and knock yourself out. i think she'll like the fit.

Bkat
04-05-2013, 12:53 PM
cool. find a larger, higher end, specialized dealer and knock yourself out. i think she'll like the fit.

Will do. Thanks!

ahumblecycler
04-05-2013, 12:57 PM
Suitable for a rounder head? She tried one Giro (I forgot which one) and it was a bad fit.

The Air Attack, or maybe is the new retention system worked great on my head. I have tried to no avail using other Giro models (e.g., Atmos) and any Bell helmet. My LAS helmet is nice but does not fit like a cap; the Air Attack did.

crownjewelwl
04-05-2013, 01:01 PM
I have a pretty normal head, I think. Bell and Giro fit well. I tried a Catlike. It was very voluminous above my ears, so that might be worth trying.

i have a korean melon and catlike works for me

christian
04-05-2013, 01:31 PM
http://www.specialtyproduce.com/ProdPics/294.jpg

crownjewelwl
04-05-2013, 01:55 PM
http://www.specialtyproduce.com/ProdPics/294.jpg

the nectar of my youth...

i trust you've rocked the h-mart in hartsdale??

bluto
04-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Kask.........but only in Belgium national colors model

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRfoTJA3K9zBf40lEOmrR_k42XQ-texdZDyiD970prl__MTgZoONA

christian
04-05-2013, 02:02 PM
I have no idea. I just googled "Korean Melon." I liked the turn of phrase.

firerescuefin
04-05-2013, 02:07 PM
the nectar of my youth...

i trust you've rocked the h-mart in hartsdale??

My wife is 1/2 Korean...and I am an H-Mart aficionado. Both my boys demand "Korean Pears" pretty much every time we run out.

bart998
04-05-2013, 04:25 PM
I've found Rudy Project helmets to be very round, and do not fit my oval-shaped head... on the other hand, I love my LAS helmet.:)

rice rocket
04-05-2013, 04:48 PM
^^ I agree with your assessment on Rudy Projects. Lazers are also said to be good for round heads. For all Lazers, my head would contact the center of the lid, but it was sort of rocking on that centerline and could jam fingers between the lid and my temple..

I wear KASKs and fit well in LAS helmets, and I have a pretty oval head.

crownjewelwl
04-05-2013, 04:54 PM
My wife is 1/2 Korean...and I am an H-Mart aficionado. Both my boys demand "Korean Pears" pretty much every time we run out.

I knew I liked you! The pears are even better. Probably the best fruit in the world.