PDA

View Full Version : Is my Garmin dying?

dd74
04-04-2013, 09:45 PM
Went on a ride today, saved the results, then went to the history function and found that no history had been saved. In fact, none of my past rides were listed there.

Any thoughts or suggestions? It's a Garmin 800 I bought around this time last year.

Thanks.

kramnnim
04-04-2013, 09:47 PM
Are there no .fit files in the /Activities/ folder when you connect the Garmin to a computer?

dd74
04-04-2013, 09:49 PM
Are there no .fit files in the /Activities/ folder when you connect the Garmin to a computer?
I've never connected it to a computer. I just used the Garmin locally on my bike.

kramnnim
04-04-2013, 10:10 PM
Mine (and others it seems) gets kind of clogged up and acts weird if the number of activities piles up.

shovelhd
04-05-2013, 06:34 AM
You have to clean it out or all sorts of strange things happen. If you don't care about ride analysis or ride sharing, then you can back up and delete the .fit files in the Garmin/Activities directory. Just plug the unit into your computer via the USB cable.

Lazer
04-05-2013, 06:36 AM
I'm going to Garmin HQ next week for product testing, should I ask them? I already know the answer, it's "plug it into your computer and manage your data."

shovelhd
04-05-2013, 06:50 AM
Sure. A well designed device shouldn't do this. It seems they put in the hooks to prevent it from happening (storage full warning) but I never get to that point. It always starts wigging out well before then. I back up my data regularly now and delete it from the device.

Hartlin
04-05-2013, 07:30 AM
Same issues here in the past. Wipe out old activities, back up etc.

I do it occasionally to avoid problems.

pdmtong
04-05-2013, 11:28 AM
stupid question, does uploading my activities to garmin connect take them off the device itself...and in doing so addresse the storage max out issue discussed here?

mvrider
04-05-2013, 11:35 AM
Nope, the data stay on the Garmin, as far as I can tell. I switched computers recently, and I was able to extract all the data from the unit to the new computer.

Then again, I don't ride nearly as much as you do ;)

kramnnim
04-05-2013, 11:45 AM
Nope, the data stay on the Garmin, as far as I can tell. I switched computers recently, and I was able to extract all the data from the unit to the new computer.

Then again, I don't ride nearly as much as you do ;)

This is correct, you have to manually delete/move the files to be rid of them.

pdmtong
04-05-2013, 11:52 AM
This is correct, you have to manually delete/move the files to be rid of them.

ok, it sounds like the best practice is to 1) upload the activities to garmin connect and then 2) manually delete them off the unititself.

I have been doing step 1 so, how do I do step 2? (the delete part)

its probably buried in the manual or on the website but I cant find it.

572cv
04-05-2013, 11:58 AM
ok, it sounds like the best practice is to 1) upload the activities to garmin connect and then 2) manually delete them off the unititself.

I'm beginning to get quirkiness on an 800, interested in this as well. My issue is that the timer won't stop without a reset...

svelocity
04-05-2013, 12:01 PM

CORRECTION!

The procedure I posted below is to access your Garmin 500 if you have a corrupted file. This happened to me a few weeks ago when the Garmin icon wasn't appearing on my desktop.

I think to view/transfer/delete your files if you don't have go through what I posted. You only need to double click on the icon when you plug it into your CPU.

My apologies for the confusion...

--------------------

You may want to double check this (see below) but if I remember correctly you want to put the Garmin into Mass Storage Mode.

While the Garmin is off hold the page/menu/enter button and plug it in to the CPU. I think I counted to about 15 or so and then let go of the button. The Garmin icon will up on your desktop and now double click it. You should be able to access the files.

Here's the Garmin 500 manual online. If you have the 800 it may be a different procedure.

http://www.manualowl.com/m/Garmin/Edge-500/Manual/48575?page=55

Here's the manual for the 800.

http://www.manualowl.com/p/Garmin/Edge-800/Manual/76376

Cheers!

shovelhd
04-05-2013, 12:33 PM
It's a lot easier to just plug it into your computer. Open the file share, and delete the files.

You can also delete all files except the last month's worth via the menu on the device itself. I need to save every file so this doesn't work for me.