PDA

View Full Version : Andy Schleck concedes TDF before it starts...

MattTuck
04-04-2013, 11:50 AM
:rolleyes:

Would be funny if it weren't true. (http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/04/news/schleck-i-cannot-dream-of-winning-the-tour-this-year_280623)

Jaq
04-04-2013, 11:54 AM
Reminds me of the old saw on the wall in my high school gym:

"Those who say they can, and those who say they can't, are usually right."

rice rocket
04-04-2013, 11:59 AM
Good.

At least the rest of the team won't be forced to play domestique and drag him up and down the mountains like the past few years.

slidey
04-04-2013, 12:01 PM
Dahahahaha...this guy's right out of a movie.

Crashing out in a time-trial by a gust of wind is what jokes are made up of...geez, what next! :eek:

Grant McLean
04-04-2013, 12:02 PM
Comeback harder than expected without doping

-g

Elefantino
04-04-2013, 12:04 PM
“I cannot dream about winning the Tour this year,” Schleck said.

“I don’t want to look or concentrate on the negative things,” he said.

http://content9.flixster.com/photo/11/06/02/11060291_gal.jpg

spacemen3
04-04-2013, 12:04 PM
Good, Baby Schleck was probably scared that Haimar Zubeldia would outclass him again. :)

svelocity
04-04-2013, 12:33 PM
I've never had a problem with Andy but it seems everyone likes to pile on when he's down. Maybe I'm missing something but I for one would like to see Andy prove his doubters wrong.

jpw
04-04-2013, 12:44 PM
I've never had a problem with Andy but it seems everyone likes to pile on when he's down. Maybe I'm missing something but I for one would like to see Andy prove his doubters wrong.

it may be because his father was a pro, his elder brother is a pro, and the sense that perhaps too many doors have been held open for him along the way, and that he's also a bit of a hard face.

firerescuefin
04-04-2013, 12:49 PM
it may be because his father was a pro, his elder brother is a pro, and the sense that perhaps too many doors have been held open for him along the way, and that he's also a bit of a hard face.

For me it's been more that he comes across like a whiney little b$%^&

slidey
04-04-2013, 12:51 PM
That Andy guy you talk about has no guts/fight/passion in him...plain, and simple. He's better suited to be a stereotypical accountant than an athlete.

FlashUNC
04-04-2013, 01:01 PM
That Andy guy you talk about has no guts/fight/passion in him...plain, and simple. He's better suited to be a stereotypical accountant than an athlete.

Totally right...

Gutsy Andy Schleck attacks 60k from the line, takes stage win and positions for Tour win
http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/07/news/gutsy-andy-schleck-soloes-for-60k-takes-stage-win-and-positions-for-tour-win_185257

Its amazing how quickly people want to write off a 27-year-old who's been scuffling for the past season due to injuries.

firerescuefin
04-04-2013, 01:03 PM
Totally right...

Gutsy Andy Schleck attacks 60k from the line, takes stage win and positions for Tour win
http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/07/news/gutsy-andy-schleck-soloes-for-60k-takes-stage-win-and-positions-for-tour-win_185257

Its amazing how quickly people want to write off a 27-year-old who's been scuffling for the past season due to a

Honestly....I thought about that ride too, but that seems like an outlier to me. FWIW...I'm always for someone that's a real animator/contender in a grand tour....and I like stories of redemption, but as it stands right now....I don't have much use for the current iteration.

cmg
04-04-2013, 01:08 PM
when Radio Shack folds at the end of this season he's going to have trouble getting another contract. right now he's a high paid domestic.

svelocity
04-04-2013, 01:12 PM

I am actually an accountant...I don't understand your analogy. So accountants have no guts/fight/ or passion? huh... :confused: I think your generalization is way off and you need to rethink it.

Second, this guy has competed at the highest levels of the pro peloton for many years including winning the TDF. Just getting through the TDF is extraordinarily hard let alone winning it. Just because he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and perhaps carries a large ego around doesn't mean he doesn't have any fight to him.

That's a very silly comment you made.

Anyhow, moving on...

firerescuefin
04-04-2013, 01:16 PM
I am actually an accountant...I don't understand your analogy. So accountants have no guts/fight/ or passion? huh... :confused: I think your generalization is way off and you need to rethink it.

Second, this guy has competed at the highest levels of the pro peloton for many years including winning the TDF. Just getting through the TDF is extraordinarily hard let alone winning it. Just because he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and perhaps carries a large ego around doesn't mean he doesn't have any fight to him.

Anyhow, moving on...

I think you missed the word "stereotypical"

BumbleBeeDave
04-04-2013, 01:27 PM
. . ."Contador" means accountant, doesn't it?

I don't laugh at accountants who ride bikes. :)

BBD

ultraman6970
04-04-2013, 01:27 PM
Well this doesnt surprise me at all, they put him in the basque tour just because was ideal for him and to get miles (training for him) in his body, well the 1st day that was not the climbing stage the sucker lost like 30 or 40 secs, today he lost 18:32 minutes and surprise me that he did not get off the bike because today between sky and the spanish teams they just killed everybody to the point that even contador couldnt attack going uphill.

They showed AS and the sucker was not even trying in the last climb, even the comentators said it, was too noticeable that he was out of steem. Just to put it in perspective, gilbert that is not even a climber lost 8 minutes, Juraj SAGAN, P-sagan's brother that pretty much is an amateur compared with his brother arrived 3 secs behind this guy in question, and now he says that he cannot dream winning the tour again? Rough awakening IMO.

He needs some juice again.

I kind'a liked the guy but when started crying like a little girl he just got me outta my nerves, never thought he was that good either but i liked him.

Wonder what they will do for the TdF, maybe levy? Wouldnt surprise me that they dont go to the tour this year, virtually radio shack is not a team at all, would give their spot to the chicken's team or maybe caja rural, at least Txurruka alone have way more heart than this idiot.

ultraman6970
04-04-2013, 01:30 PM
yes, that;s what it means.

. . ."Contador" means accountant, doesn't it?

I don't laugh at accountants who ride bikes. :)

BBD

PQJ
04-04-2013, 01:32 PM
years including winning the TDF

A win by default is not a win. Andy has yet to actually win the Tour.

binxnyrwarrsoul
04-04-2013, 01:48 PM
Good.

At least the rest of the team won't be forced to play domestique and drag him up and down the mountains like the past few years.

And he still loses.

binxnyrwarrsoul
04-04-2013, 01:51 PM
Totally right...

Its amazing how quickly people want to write off a 27-year-old who's been scuffling for the past season due to injuries.

Evans positioned himself for a tour win that year, and won.

Schleck didn't win when he wasn't injured, either.

To quote PQJ, "A win by default is not a win. Andy has yet to actually win the Tour." Plus 1. The last time I saw some fire in his belly was chaingate.

redir
04-04-2013, 01:52 PM
I too am one who doesn't understand why people give this guy such a hard time.

MattTuck
04-04-2013, 01:57 PM
I actually like Andy, when he is on form he is one of the best climbers in the world. My issue with him has more to do with Shie failure to improve in time trialling and descending. When lance won the tours, he spent something like 30 or 40% of his time on a tt bike during traing. Wig Andy, it seems like he just trains his strength but doesn't do enough outside of climbing to win.

ultraman6970
04-04-2013, 02:16 PM
That's just dumb plus all his crying brought a lot of people against him. Not going to say people likes riders because they are cute ok?

CunegoFan
04-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Honestly....I thought about that ride too, but that seems like an outlier to me. FWIW...I'm always for someone that's a real animator/contender in a grand tour....and I like stories of redemption, but as it stands right now....I don't have much use for the current iteration.

It was not an outlier. It was basic Andy. He squandered his opportunities to gain enough time to win. He was being criticized for doing nothing, so he had to save face by taking a desperate flyer. It succeeded because the others could keep his time within limits without expending too much effort to catch him.

It was like Contador in 2011. He attacked from far out not to win GC but to salvage a bit of dignity. It made great theater, but it was a side show to the GC battle at that point. The difference of course was that Contador had a good excuse for being in the situation he was in. He was injured from crashing and fatigued from the Giro.

ultraman6970
04-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Because he is a lacy ass that thinks that he can win races w/o putting a minimum of heart, work and respect for the sport. So people just got tired of all that crying and complaining of his.

All the racers and ex racers know how much work and dedication is needed for this sport, with soccer at least you can practice in your back yard but with cycling you need to put zillions of miles, get your family involved too, money, time and stuff.

Cyclists in general are tough guys, and when you hear a sucker that is paid millions complain about the weather you have limits and pretty much the guy will fill you up quite quickly with his BS, and thats why people just turned their back at to him. The funny thing is that he is complaining about it, he is saying the drunk elevator issue is not true, why a politician would lie about it? To me at least that was the red flag because we see faces but not hearts... Even more now, after his brother was caught with the doping thing, he just went down hill big time and makes me really wonder how good was his juice plan. And since nobody can do crap now (thanks lance, really), is really noticeable that probably the guy was just another product of a good juice plan. Doubt he will come back, specially after seeing how some teams are doing lately (sky).

If contador was product of juice too (just to make it fair), at least you can tell the guy is a darn racer and will do his best all the time and you can see him suffering but never complaining like others you know.

I too am one who doesn't understand why people give this guy such a hard time.

William
04-04-2013, 02:31 PM
Was it that crash with a car on his training ride that did it???

http://www.atwistedspoke.com/schleck-crashes-into-car-on-training-ride-a-very-small-car/

At least the Dolphins love him.:)

http://cdn1.cdnme.se/cdn/9-1/43813/images/2009/gal_1993_44910039.jpg

William

slidey
04-04-2013, 02:33 PM
I pre-empted a hasty lash back from accountants on here, which is why I added the qualifier "stereotypical". In the same way as an engineer is stereotyped as a nerd who doesn't have a life outside of their work, or a mathematician is stereotyped as an idealist who only understands numbers.

Anyhow, moving on...

ultraman6970
04-04-2013, 02:40 PM
You have to be careful with stuff like that here, if you stereo whatever too much it could get you banned hehehe

I pre-empted a hasty lash back from accountants on here, which is why I added the qualifier "stereotypical". In the same way as an engineer is stereotyped as a nerd who doesn't have a life outside of their work, or a mathematician is stereotyped as an idealist who only understands numbers.

slidey
04-04-2013, 02:41 PM
Guts, fight, passion are qualities which are tested when you're staring defeat and adversity in the face. Not when you're on song and feel the world is your oyster!

I never said that Andy is an unaccomplished cyclist, I'm only implying that his genes might have more to do with his palmares than his mental resolve or lack thereof. His attitude is all wrong, and he is the worst representative of the sporting spirit.

Totally right...

dnades
04-04-2013, 02:50 PM
I think he'll come back if he doesn't injure himself again. The idea that he somehow is less of a cyclist/racer when recovering from an injury because his times and effort is less than what others are putting in is a bit flawed. I mean he's injured and doesn't have the conditioning of the rest of the peloton so how the hell is he going to keep up? I think it would take a tremendous amount of willpower to continue to grind out the miles at a slower pace especially since he used to be at the front for most of his earlier career.

FlashUNC
04-04-2013, 02:57 PM
His attitude is all wrong, and he is the worst representative of the sporting spirit.

I'm puzzled how you can read the quotes from his latest story and think he is the "worst representative of the sporting spirit" -- whatever that means:

“I haven’t experienced this before in my career. It’s something new. It’s the life of a cyclist. You have ups and downs in life. When you’re down, it takes a long time to come back up again. I still love riding my bike. I really enjoy racing.”

He had a pretty serious injury and what appears to be the first major physical setback of his career. He's still miles away from where he wants to be form-wise. What should he say? That he can win the Tour in July? He's barely finishing with the pack at this point. He's stating the obvious.

Maybe he never gets back to being that climbing whiz kid who won LBL in 2009 and seems like someone lost a little bit and trying to find his way back.

But I don't get the hate for someone like him as opposed to, say, Stijn Devolder who has had similar career struggles.

1/2 Wheeler
04-04-2013, 02:58 PM

Anyhow, moving on...

It's all about tearing others down to prop our selves up.

It is a very common trait of the unaccomplished.

Jus Sayin!

William
04-04-2013, 03:48 PM
The dude could ride 99% of us under the table on a multi stage event. No question about that. And the fact that the Dolphins like him says something about personality.;)

Regardless, the public persona/PR face makes him appear whiney and not always mentally hard with the killer instinct. That could be total BS but it's something that people pick up from what's thrown out. He needs to grow a killer moustache, get some tats, and frown more.*

William

*;););):D I'm joking around.

MattTuck
04-04-2013, 03:52 PM
The dude could ride 99% of us under the table on a multi stage event.

I'd like to know who the 1% of 'us' you mean ;)

bcm119
04-04-2013, 04:00 PM
“I haven’t experienced this before in my career. It’s something new. It’s the life of a cyclist. You have ups and downs in life. When you’re down, it takes a long time to come back up again. I still love riding my bike. I really enjoy racing.”

This is way too realistic to gain him any respect amongst American sports fans. There should have been a media translation into American Little-League-ese:
“This is a new challenge in my career. Over the coming months I will work hard to overcome this setback, and I guarantee I will come back stronger than ever before. See you on the podium in July.”

Strangely, we have come to respect the unrealistic BS sports blabber more than realistic commentary. Complaining about the weather? Isn’t that 50% of the content of this forum in the winter?

rwsaunders
04-04-2013, 04:04 PM
“ Complaining about the weather? Isn’t that 50% of the content of this forum in the winter?

I disagree...I think that only half of the complaints on here are about the weather.:cool:

slidey
04-04-2013, 04:11 PM
I'll give you this much, that his present statement considered independently only portrays him as someone who is facing realities. However, I don't see him as a person in tune with the times and facing reality as a consequence of responding to changing times. I see him as a whiny, spoilt, genetically-gifted brat who thinks he's due a lot more than he bothers to fight for. We've heard a string of rubbish from him for a very long time now, and its not like Muhammad Ali who would talk his mouth off, but then deliver the goods come fight night. His present statement is only the latest in a string of gibberish he's been dishing out to either cover up for his lack of hard-work, and/or his lack of performance.

To me, his strategy is very simple:
Step 1- hedge position (i.e. find/make excuses)
Step 2- find a DS/team who will support my position as a contender in all manners of petty races in the hope of notching up a podium finish
If successful -> (to self: Da-fuque...how did that happen?, and then) generate some more endorsement by stirring up hopes of a tour victory. Go to Step 1.
If unsuccessful -> Step 1

If this is the attitude we accept of world-class athletes, then Wall Street has a very good chance of winning the TdF. Care to invest in that?

I'm puzzled how you can read the quotes from his latest story and think he is the "worst representative of the sporting spirit" -- whatever that means:

enr1co
04-04-2013, 06:21 PM
He's a good rider (and perhaps even a nice guy) - the annoyance for me is more the constant media hype of him as a tour winner which is not likely due to his mediocre TT ability.

cash05458
04-04-2013, 06:28 PM
well of course he can't compete...doping control and spotlight is far better now hopefully...

ultraman6970
04-04-2013, 06:37 PM
Said it before, i'm under the impression the guy is a product of a good program as LA was and now since he cant juice at all is clear that the guy is just an average joe who got luck with the press due to his nice smile.

bironi
04-04-2013, 06:44 PM

This is way too realistic to gain him any respect amongst American sports fans. There should have been a media translation into American Little-League-ese:
“This is a new challenge in my career. Over the coming months I will work hard to overcome this setback, and I guarantee I will come back stronger than ever before. See you on the podium in July.”

Strangely, we have come to respect the unrealistic BS sports blabber more than realistic commentary. Complaining about the weather? Isn’t that 50% of the content of this forum in the winter?

I like this, and to the mods - we really do need a like button.:beer: BCM, post 31 more comments about my comment and you've left me behind.

sparky33
04-04-2013, 07:00 PM

Yeah he showed some real talent and guts that day. Not sure why he doesn't do more of that.
Disappointing.

Uncle Jam's Army
04-04-2013, 07:00 PM
I feel bad for the guy. His time-trialing ability (or, more accurately, lack thereof) has kept him from winning a grand tour. And he's always criticized for being soft or a crybaby.

I hope he's able to overcome whatever problems are plaguing him right now, and get back to duking it out again with Contador and Sky. The Tour will be less exciting without him in it.

ultraman6970
04-04-2013, 07:24 PM
The tour wont be less exciting w/o him, actually probably will be the best TdF ever because almost every team has somebody that has real chances to win the darn tour look...

Contador, Rodriguez and Valverde... which of those 3 climbs better of all, this trio does everything.

Then you have darn sky team which at least from the top of my head you have Froome, Porte and wiggo but you can't leave Dombroski and henao out, Specially Henao.

Then from the italians you have to add at least nibali that is climbing and TT better than ever this season.

Then from garmin if they have some luck and if they are able to get in good shape you can't leave out hesjedal and talansky.

Lotto has van den broek but they will go for stages this year with max man.

THe other teams have nobody for the GC like BMC for example, BMC will have somebody for next year but not for this year's TdF.

After seeing the vuelta last year and how the 3 spaniards hit to each other in every race they are doing together nobody will miss AS, only having those 3 spaniards you know that will be an interesting race almost every day not only in the mountain stages.

Hank Scorpio
04-04-2013, 10:12 PM
Because he is a lacy ass .....

Are you saying AS is getting fashion tips from Oscar De
La Hoya?

Llewellyn
04-04-2013, 10:22 PM

I don't mind being classed as dull and beige - but I draw the line at being compared to Andy Schleck :mad:

ultraman6970
04-04-2013, 11:38 PM
Doubt it, don't offend del a hoya please :) last time the Manny hit that face more than once and just for that he deserves a lot of respect.

Are you saying AS is getting fashion tips from Oscar De
La Hoya?

dd74
04-05-2013, 03:52 AM
I don't get the whole ripping on AS; maybe he just knows when the race has him beat more so than the other way around.

Whatever...

As long as you guys don't beat up on Spartacus. When that happens, I'm gonna' have to throw down. :)

Elefantino
04-05-2013, 04:09 AM
I don't get the whole ripping on AS; maybe he just knows when the race has him beat more so than the other way around.

Whatever...

As long as you guys don't beat up on Spartacus. When that happens, I'm gonna' have to throw down. :)
My wife thinks his wife is frumpy looking. Does that count? :eek:

1/2 Wheeler
04-05-2013, 06:02 AM
My wife thinks his wife is frumpy looking. Does that count? :eek:

That depends on what your wife looks like!

victoryfactory
04-05-2013, 06:02 AM
Fans are fickle.

They demand perfection their heroes.

It's not enough to win, they have to always win,
Then they have to say the right thing, dress the right way,
kiss babies and be "heroic" 24/7.

If you are looking for a perfect, predictable hero, read a comic book. Real life is messy,
conflicting, puzzling and a lot richer and more nuanced.

Be a fan of cycling first and then enjoy the personalities and their antics
within the sport.

VF

krismac23
04-05-2013, 09:06 AM
Maybe Jens can show him how to HTFU. I liked Andy when he went up against contaddor way back when. But now I just think he's soft.

ultraman6970
04-05-2013, 11:27 AM
Spartacus has the respect of everybody because he is not a wussy. Took a while to come back but there is something you cant say from FC, he is not a wussy.

Whatever...

54ny77
04-05-2013, 11:29 AM
Does this mean FASB will start drug testing?

William
04-05-2013, 11:33 AM
Things have just never been the same since he lost that sprint to the top...

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/000/996/220/Saxo-Banks-Andy-Schleck-o-011_crop_650x440.jpg?1280177829

;););):)
William

slidey
04-05-2013, 12:35 PM
First up...no heroes.

My criterion for a pro-athlete to earn respect is simple:
(Athlete's passion for the sport >= my passion for it),
AND
(passion for sport >> Passion to win)

Fans are fickle.

They demand perfection their heroes.

It's not enough to win, they have to always win,
Then they have to say the right thing, dress the right way,
kiss babies and be "heroic" 24/7.

If you are looking for a perfect, predictable hero, read a comic book. Real life is messy,
conflicting, puzzling and a lot richer and more nuanced.

Be a fan of cycling first and then enjoy the personalities and their antics
within the sport.

VF

slidey
04-05-2013, 12:37 PM
Adderall :no:

Does this mean FASB will start drug testing?

dd74
04-05-2013, 02:31 PM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/000/996/220/Saxo-Banks-Andy-Schleck-o-011_crop_650x440.jpg?1280177829
What's Contador looking at? ;)

PQJ
04-05-2013, 02:34 PM
What's Contador looking at? ;)

The guy in the floral thingie (behind Frandy) just told him it was a mistake to eat that beef last night.

ultraman6970
04-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Well the guy did not finish the 5th stage, actually like half of the peloton did not finish, no wonder he stopped dreaming.

azrider
07-08-2014, 08:56 AM
Same old Schlecky.....

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/andy-schleck-out-of-the-tour-de-france-through-injury

Elefantino
07-08-2014, 09:03 AM
The cyclist formerly known as Andy Schleck.

http://d4nuk0dd6nrma.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/AndySchleck-1024x682.jpg

tiretrax
07-08-2014, 09:04 AM
I feel sorry for the guy. He is a talented climber, but he can't get together the whole package and also can't avoid disasters. Should have been at the front.

redir
07-08-2014, 09:09 AM
I feel sorry for the guy. He is a talented climber, but he can't get together the whole package and also can't avoid disasters. Should have been at the front.

Yup. He's had a lot of bad luck the past few years. I really don't understand why people give him such a hard time.

Md3000
07-08-2014, 09:29 AM
a.k.a. Abandy Schleck

sandyrs
07-08-2014, 09:40 AM
Jeez, the guy crashed. Cut him some slack.

enr1co
07-08-2014, 11:16 AM
Jeez, the guy crashed. Cut him some slack.

Tough crowd. Not a Andy fan ( nor Cav) but dont like to see anyone have to abandon due to crash which can just happen. This especially sucks as the crash causal was due to a dis respectful spectator.

oldpotatoe
07-08-2014, 11:26 AM
The cyclist formerly known as Andy Schleck.

http://d4nuk0dd6nrma.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/AndySchleck-1024x682.jpg

Tough w/o dope and his sister.

FlashUNC
07-08-2014, 12:04 PM
Man, tough group. This crowd would have eaten Roberto Visentini alive.

I hope Andy pulls it all back together some day. Amazing climber when he had it all sorted out. But the pelvis break and maybe a bit less of the turbo boost all seem to be affecting him. Even if no-dope has taken a bit off his top-end, he's clearly scuffling along mentally and hasn't gotten his head right.

Says a lot when your family is openly suggesting to media you should quit bike racing.

Zoodles
07-08-2014, 12:10 PM
Schleck isn't my type of rider but some act as though he stole your lunch...

Look through the list of pros having a hard time takes a while. From hushvods disappearing act to the troubles of Wiggins, Haussler and even Gilbert, now even griepel is apparently afraid to sprint.

Pro cycling is a tough game - the vitriol and personal insults towards some riders demonstrate how hrmmm...fickle...fans can be.

bluesea
07-08-2014, 02:26 PM
You should hear them discussing the Miss Universe.:)

93legendti
07-08-2014, 03:06 PM
I imagine if Schleck said he was going to win, or place in the top 3, he'd be attacked for being too cocky or something...

CunegoFan
07-08-2014, 03:15 PM
I imagine if Schleck said he was going to win, or place in the top 3, he'd be attacked for being too cocky or something...

Let's get realistic here. He would not say he is going to win. He would say he is going to win as long as it does not rain and no one attacks on a descent and it is not too windy and his brother tucks him into bed at night and...

572cv
07-08-2014, 03:40 PM
I'm in the camp that wants everyone to be able to race at their best, then let the best man win. Crashes happen, but it is not in the least satisfying.

So for A. Schleck, DNS at the beginning of stage 4 is kinda too bad.

pbarry
07-08-2014, 09:55 PM
Tough w/o dope and his sister.

Thanks, Peter. Thought you'd gone on a sojourn in the TDI, so had to search for a sister's comment. whew! Life is hard.

vqdriver
07-08-2014, 11:00 PM
Tough crowd.
I get if you don't root for the guy but I don't get the general tone of disdain for him.

rab
07-08-2014, 11:40 PM
Yeah, seriously, what a wuss...bangs up his knee a bit, maybe tears his meniscus or damages some ligaments, might need surgery, and quits. I could only respect him if he cut out the offending parts and carried on, and then, only if he won a stage. And then, maybe.

Pretty neutral on the guy personally and don't really care that he quit, feel bad about the circumstances though. But whats the fuss? not like he was coming in slated to do some serious ass kicking. I mean seriously, he took 3rd in the Luxembourg Nat RR. That's his best result this year I think.
Anyone really expect much from him after being mediocre at best all year?

54ny77
07-09-2014, 12:10 AM
Funny parody:

http://pvcycling.wordpress.com/2014/06/27/trek-factory-racing-proudly-announces-weakest-tour-lineup-ever/

CitSB sat down with Trek Factory Racing team manager Luca Guercilena to talk about the team’s 2014 TdF roster, announced two days ago.

CitSB: So it looks like Trek will be pinning its hopes on the single biggest bedwetter in pro cycling, his doped up older brother, and an over-the-hill-doper-who-never-got-busted?

Guercilena: That is outrageous and insulting. I wouldn’t call him a bedwetter. More like a nervous tinkler.

CitSB: Most observers agree that this is the team’s weakest Tour lineup ever. What gives?

Guercilena: Well, when we saw Team Sky drop Wiggins even though he had won the Tour of California, done well in Roubaix and Flanders, and had committed to help Froome, it was pretty clear.

CitSB: What was?

Guercilena: That to manage a winning pro cycling team you must be a complete idiot.

CitSB: Ah.

Guercilena: Yes.

CitSB: But even with a colossal, hopelessly stupid person such as yourself, how can you expect to win with the Schlecks?

Guercilena: It will not be so difficult. Andy has been building since his Paris-Nice DNF in 2012. He had a very strong ride in the second stage that year, finishing 113th. It was impressive.

CitSB: It was?

Guercilena: Yes, especially when you consider how he followed it with his DNF in the Volta Ciclista a Catalunya. Let’s remember that he came in 104th in the first stage before giving up and quitting.

CitSB: I don’t think we’ve forgotten.

Guercilena: Then he continued his build with his 2012 DNF at the Brabantse Pijl. In this DNF he fought with great courage before throwing in the towel at Mile 45, and he followed it up with his amazing Stage Six flop-n-drop in the Criterium du Dauphine. When he quit that race it was a victory; his fans were thrilled. As William Stone reminds us, it is not winning that makes a winner, but rather a juice box and the courage to not admit defeat even when, in the face of defeat, you are soundly defeated.

CitSB: Is that when they started calling him The Bedwetter?

Guercilena: No, that was before. A few days after the Dauphine he confirmed his promise with a strong DNF at the Binche-Tournai-Binche/ 3rd Mémorial Frank Vandenbroucke. It was impressive the way he sobbed and hit his handlebars in frustration. The fans went wild at this display of raw competitive emotion.

CitSB: Yes. Yes, they did.

Guercilena: And how can we forget the cherry on top, the icing on the cake in 2012, the cornerstone of his preparation, when he bailed during Stage Six at the Tour of Beijing after strong placings in the previous stages of 137th, 132nd, 137th, and next-to-last? He quit that race with gusto, let me tell you! The Chinese government released 4 gigatons of coal smoke in celebration. It was beautiful!

CitSB: Fans went wild again, I’m guessing?

Guercilena: Oh, absolutely, the ones who didn’t die from the smoke. And the one pretty girl in Luxembourg sent him her 76th wedding proposal, a fitting end to a great year. And 2013 continued his march, building his momentum even stronger. He began with a powerful DNF in the Santos Tour Down Under, followed it with a devastating DNF in the Tour Méditerranéen Cycliste Professionnel, crushed the peloton with a masterful quitting performance in the Strade Bianchi, and culminated his March training block with an unbelievable DNF at Tirreno-Adriatico.

CitSB: Why was it unbelievable?

Guercilena: You jest, no? He grimaced, he suffered, he endured, he wrecked himself until he could do more. It was beautiful suffering. And then halfway through the first stage there was no more, he was spent, he had given all he had. How you Americans say? He left it all on a toad.

CitSB: The fans went nuts again, right?

Guercilena: Yes. The girl from his home country (her name is Hilda) sent him flowers and a certificate that she was also a 17-year-old virgin, Luxembourg’s first.

CitSB: Then what?

Guercilena: The rest has been history “writ large” as they say. Vuelta Ciclista al Pais Vasco, DNF. Amstel Gold Race, DNF. GP Oueste Plouay, DNF. Grand Prix Cycliste de Quebec, DNF. Grand Prix Cycliste de Montreal, DNF. Milano-Torino, DNF. Il Lombardia, DNF.

CitSB: Pretty amazing palmares.

Guercilena: And let’s not forget that as the team’s most highly paid stage racer he finished an impressive 20th in the Tour that year, 40th in the Tour de Suisse, 25th in the Tour of California and 35th in the US Pro Challenge.

CitSB: Sounds like he’s peaking for 2014.

Guercilena: Exactly, and his schedule confirms it. With a DNF in the Criterium Internationale this year, a DNF at Amstel Gold, a DNF at Flèche-Wallone, a DNF at Liege-Bastogne-Liege, a DNF at the GP du canton d’Argovie, and a stunning 29th place at the Tour de Suisse, no one can say that he is not poised to do what he does best.

CitSB: DNF-ing?

Guercilena: We can only hope.

oldpotatoe
07-09-2014, 07:03 AM
Let's get realistic here. He would not say he is going to win. He would say he is going to win as long as it does not rain and no one attacks on a descent and it is not too windy and his brother tucks him into bed at night and...

tee hee.

binxnyrwarrsoul
07-09-2014, 07:11 AM

oldpotatoe
07-09-2014, 07:16 AM
Thanks, Peter. Thought you'd gone on a sojourn in the TDI, so had to search for a sister's comment. whew! Life is hard.

went to WI and back some weeks ago..

jr59
07-09-2014, 07:33 AM
The dude could ride 99% of us under the table on a multi stage event. No question about that. And the fact that the Dolphins like him says something about personality.;)

Regardless, the public persona/PR face makes him appear whiney and not always mentally hard with the killer instinct. That could be total BS but it's something that people pick up from what's thrown out. He needs to grow a killer moustache, get some tats, and frown more.*

William

*;););):D I'm joking around.

I'd like to know who the 1% of 'us' you mean ;)

No kidding. I would go as far as to say that 99% of the people that post here have very little idea how good these guys are, and what they have done/are doing to stay there. Dope or just lifestyle, it's a hard life in any pro sport. We just see the games/races, not what really goes in to being at that level.

atrexler
07-10-2014, 07:32 AM
No kidding. I would go as far as to say that 99% of the people that post here have very little idea how good these guys are, and what they have done/are doing to stay there. Dope or just lifestyle, it's a hard life in any pro sport. We just see the games/races, not what really goes in to being at that level.

True enough.

That said, Schleck has been terrible at bike racing the last few years.

It's not a comparison with folks on here or elsewise in cycle-fandom, its a comparison against the other professionals. Obviously Schleck, with a good knee, and everyone on down to the lanterne rouge at the TdF could outride 99.99% people on here.

Number of DNFs in 2013 from a random assortment of top riders:

Nibali: 3
Voigt: 1
Sagan: 5
Martin: 2
Froome: 2
Contador: 2
Quintana: 2
Rodriguez: 1
Andy Schleck: 10

bit of a trend there. The top GC guys are finishing races. Schleck isn't some domestique or whatever, he's supposed to be his team's big man and I'm sure he's making pretty okay money to do it. If he just wasn't having a good year, injury-plagued, whatever, then I'd have alot more sympathy for a string of 20th or 40ths places. But its DNFs.

I'd love to see him prove his critics wrong and find the form of a few years ago. I really would. I loved that stage of the TdF where he attacked 60km out. We need more of that in stage racing! The sad fact is though that it hasn't happened yet and I don't see this bad knee injury helping anyway. Seemed borderline coming into the Tour. Now...?

Anarchist
07-10-2014, 07:54 AM

So what? This is a tired lazy way to try and make an "arguement".

The thing with Andy Schleck, or any of the others is that riding their bikes hard, and finishing races, is their job. It is what they get paid a lot of money to do.

Some just don't do it well. At this point I see little value to Schleck from a sponsor's point of view. If he cannot be used to sell product he has no value.

redir
07-10-2014, 10:40 AM
I'd say that with all the bitching and moaning that people do on the Internet about Schleck he brings a lot of attention to his sponsors. No such thing as bad publicity lol.

ultraman6970
07-10-2014, 03:09 PM
Thought hittler was going to have some interesting comments this year about AS inclusion in the team.