PDA

View Full Version : 120km in 2.5 hours (from Taylor Phinney's twitter)

MattTuck
04-03-2013, 06:42 PM
From Taylor Phinney's twitter:

Big thank you to the one and only @maxsciandri for the Vespa pacing today. Managed 120km in 2.5hrs, this is not bad...!

I'm all for social media and connecting with fans, but is this a good thing to do from a strategic standpoint? Unless you're either way under reporting (playing possum) or over reporting (trying to intimidate/psyche out your competition), it doesn't make sense to me.

btw, that is about 74 miles in 2.5 hours, or almost 30mph average.

Lovetoclimb
04-03-2013, 06:43 PM
Serious speed work!

firerescuefin
04-03-2013, 06:45 PM

I'm all for social media and connecting with fans, but is this a good thing to do from a strategic standpoint? Unless you're either way under reporting (playing possum) or over reporting (trying to intimidate/psyche out your competition), it doesn't make sense to me.

I don't think it's either. Taylor put people on notice at MSR that he has some form. He's not an unknown quantity Sunday....he may not be a favorite, but he's on the radar. Not a guy I would like to see go up the road in a break.

We live in the age of Twitter...it is what it is.

Elefantino
04-03-2013, 07:09 PM
Take that boy to Mexico City and let him try for the Hour.

MattTuck
04-03-2013, 07:34 PM

He's a giant! To try for the actual UCI record, I think there would be major hassles to what bike he could use.

gavingould
04-03-2013, 08:00 PM
I don't think he's doing anything strategic with the post, just a note to followers. He won it twice as a U23, was 15th last year not even as a team leader, and given his riding so far this year, there's no hiding.
Should be an interesting day on der cobbles.

pbarry
04-03-2013, 08:08 PM
Right? !!!!

oldpotatoe
04-04-2013, 07:51 AM

I'm surprised the Vespa could do that. Results matter, not twitters, IMHO.

oldpotatoe
04-04-2013, 07:53 AM

Here, when it's done.

http://www.bouldervalleyvelodrome.com/

air is cleaner..still at altitude.

BumbleBeeDave
04-04-2013, 07:55 AM
. . . to compromise anything important, I would think. He's strong as an ox--but competitors already know that.

Also if he's being motor paced by a scooter, these stats may not be all that unusual for that level of competitor. We have little context to judge by.

BBD

Joachim
04-04-2013, 07:59 AM
. . . to compromise anything important, I would think. He's strong as an ox--but competitors already know that.

Also if he's being motor paced by a scooter, these stats may not be all that unusual for that level of competitor. We have little context to judge by.

BBD

30mph = 48kph, pretty normal for motopacing (yes, motopacing, not motorpacing) doing speedwork. We did that routinely for 1hr after a 3-4hr race in Belgium during the early season. Not only sitting behind the scooter, but also launching an "attack", ride until the scooter catches up and then slip in behind (ie recovery at high pace, just like a race situation). In Holland, years ago, I have often ridden 2-3hr criteriums with an average speed of 45kph, so motopacing was ideal training for those.

BumbleBeeDave
04-04-2013, 08:39 AM
30mph = 48kph, pretty normal for motopacing (yes, motopacing, not motorpacing) doing speedwork. We did that routinely for 1hr after a 3-4hr race in Belgium during the early season. Not only sitting behind the scooter, but also launching an "attack", ride until the scooter catches up and then slip in behind (ie recovery at high pace, just like a race situation). In Holland, years ago, I have often ridden 2-3hr criteriums with an average speed of 45kph, so motopacing was ideal training for those.

. . . is indeed fast, but not out of this world fast?

BBD

FlashUNC
04-04-2013, 08:45 AM

BBD

He's faster than me, but that's not really saying much.

Joachim
04-04-2013, 08:49 AM

BBD

Depends on the workout. If he did a few efforts in the wind, went over a few small hills its pretty fast. Out of the world? Maybe not, but its still 2.5hrs. I think its pretty std for a WT Pro. I also did not think he tweeted that to show "out of this world" speed, just a very good workout prior to P-R. Remember Cippo motopacing on the highway (interstate) in Italy?

martl
04-04-2013, 08:58 AM
I'm surprised the Vespa could do that. Results matter, not twitters, IMHO.

Both Aprilia and Vespa have 300cc models that will do 120+ km/h

MattTuck
04-04-2013, 11:47 AM

Point taken. I guess training techniques are pretty homogeneous across all teams, or atleast they're diffuse enough that talking about training times/intensities on a particular day isn't enough to get much info.

cachagua
04-04-2013, 11:58 AM
Now if they were doing that on cobbles, I'd say they were both hard men. I'd say that's training!

Although, a buddy of mine is a rally driver, he likes to approach parking lot speed-breakers at 40mph or so. . . "Let the suspension do the job it's there for", he says.

--That's if you have a suspension!

Jaq
04-04-2013, 12:14 PM

BBD

Cancellara was turning 50kph after 6 hours and 250k last Sunday. And Boonen was doing that last year at the end of the P-R - and with a screwed-up foot (though I don't know how much it hurt him). And both of 'em were way out front, all alone. Man, in the Ronde this year, Sagan and Roelandts at least had something of a mini-paceline and Cancellara still widened the gap.

It's unbelievable how much power and stamina these guys can develop.

oldpotatoe
04-05-2013, 07:53 AM
Cancellara was turning 50kph after 6 hours and 250k last Sunday. And Boonen was doing that last year at the end of the P-R - and with a screwed-up foot (though I don't know how much it hurt him). And both of 'em were way out front, all alone. Man, in the Ronde this year, Sagan and Roelandts at least had something of a mini-paceline and Cancellara still widened the gap.

It's unbelievable how much power and stamina these guys can develop.

it sure is...............................

Scuzzer
04-05-2013, 09:00 AM
it sure is...............................

It would appear your ellipsis is on PEDs.

christian
04-05-2013, 09:10 AM
Punctuation Enhancing Drugs? Those should be outlawed!