PDA

View Full Version : Will the US get a break as the Euro sinks?

znfdl
11-21-2005, 11:56 AM
Do you think that bike parts companies will decrease their prices as the Euro sinks or do you think that since a new price has been set on bike goods that we will see downward stickiness in proces?

From Bloomberg News Today:
The U.S. currency is headed for the first annual gain against the euro and the yen since 2001, boosted by US interest rates higher than in Europe or Japan. The dollar is up 15.5 percent against the euro and 16 percent compared with the yen.

The 12-nation euro fell to $1.1753 from $1.1764 late Friday in New York after the ECB president said he does not foresee "a series" of rate hikes.

The high in 2004 I beleive was 1.3625.

Too Tall
11-21-2005, 11:59 AM
G-d I hope not :rolleyes:
Probably see some rocking deals in grey market but think you are right.

Serotta_James
11-21-2005, 12:04 PM
yes.

Argos
11-21-2005, 12:14 PM
James,

Does your "yes" imply we will be getting a break? :D

Ahneida Ride
11-21-2005, 12:23 PM
The Federal Reserve Note ( We no longer have Dollars ) has slipped
almost 50% against the Icelandic currency.

Iceland has a superior currency !

CNY rider
11-21-2005, 12:31 PM
James,

Does your "yes" imply we will be getting a break? :D

No soup for you!

Serotta PETE
11-21-2005, 12:31 PM
Don't count of prices going down as a result of euro softening. These days that does not seem to work. Only hope we have for reduced prices is via "gray" market or over supply is some other markets.

Notice how fast oil is going down and the price of gas/ transportation. I just got a yealry garbage bill and it already has a fuel charge adjustment (upward) for the annual service in 2006...Oh well :beer:

zap
11-21-2005, 12:33 PM
No.

Other items such as fuel and raw materials are more expensive now.

On another matter, I suspect the Fed will repeat mistakes made 11 odd years ago and raise rates to fast and too much. But this matter might be best discussed while savoring some fine food and wine.

Serotta PETE
11-21-2005, 12:35 PM
No.

Other items such as fuel and raw materials are more expensive now.

On another matter, I suspect the Fed will repeat mistakes made 11 odd years ago and raise rates to fast and too much. But this matter might be best discussed while savoring some fine food and wine.

Did someone say wine????? We can ask Flydhest to cook and give us a course on world wine and the economics of business...... :beer:

Ken Robb
11-21-2005, 12:36 PM
I too think the good deals will be grey market because even if they will be "firmly" priced in Euros owe will get more Euros for our $$$. I'm guessing that USA distributors will be reluctant to lower prices that have come to be "normal" or acceptable in our market. There is potential for some serious windfall profits and they won't give them up readily.

Remember when soft drink prices went way up "due to skyrocketing sugar prices"? Sugar came back down but the drink prices stayed pretty much as high as ever because a new price plateau had been established.

Has anyone checked the value of $$$ vs Yen?

zap
11-21-2005, 12:42 PM
Did someone say wine????? We can ask Flydhest to cook and give us a course on world wine and the economics of business...... :beer:

Thats why I brought it up.

To see what Fly thinks about this current round of rate increases. If his boss allows him to discuss it openly.

znfdl
11-21-2005, 12:46 PM
Wine, I vote for any or all of the following

pinot noir with a good piece of salmon or

zinfandel with a barbecued steak or

brut rose champange with sushi or

amarone with a rib eye roast or

a gewurstraminer with some thai food

Big Dan
11-21-2005, 12:47 PM
If people keep buying at current prices why reduce them?

:confused:

slowgoing
11-21-2005, 01:01 PM
I bought a frame from Maestro a few years ago when the UK pound was about $1.4. It's still over $1.7, way above where it was.

zap
11-21-2005, 01:05 PM

Add....

Inniskillin Cabernet Franc Icewine with Black Forest cake.

znfdl
11-21-2005, 01:08 PM
Zap:

You and Zip should try the Kiona Ice made from chenin blanc grapes, about half the price of the Inniskillin ice wine.

Ozz
11-21-2005, 01:10 PM

Try a sparking shiraz with that steak...you may be pleasantly surprised! :beer:

Oh, and back on topic....I figure eventually we will get a price break.

Dekonick
11-21-2005, 01:31 PM
Perhaps there might be a small break in Campy 'ponent prices from online dealers such as totalcycling.com...

I should have taken econ in college... :crap:

Tom
11-21-2005, 01:33 PM
I should have taken econ in college...

You know all you need to know if you took mechanical engineering.

The device is a "ratchet".

1centaur
11-21-2005, 08:00 PM
I work in a money management shop that talks about currency each day at the morning meeting. While the dollar's made a good move by currency trader standards, it's really not much more than 10%ish from its lows and is unlikely to get close to those "Maestro" levels. Furthermore, the price umbrella of luxe European bike parts allowed some upper end U.S. bike makers to put in big price increases without looking bad vs. a C50. They're not going to be cutting back unless we start marveling that Ernesto's magic is available for 60% of a, Parlee, say. Most currency experts say the dollar will weaken in the long run, but as long as the Fed's raising rates and the European economy is sluggish, we have a shot for some better grey market bargains. That window's at least six months, IMO.

flydhest
11-21-2005, 09:45 PM
I'll talk over wine, but not online. :no:

The Inniskillen red Icewine with Blackforest cake sounds like a great match.