PDA

View Full Version : Know your bike parts

Dude
04-03-2013, 09:37 AM
<rant>

There is a HUGE difference between the saying "dude, your quick release is open" and "dude, your brake release is open."

There is also a huge difference in how I react to each of those statements. I get it a lot during races when I have my racing wheels and intentionally have the brake release open a little. Anyone else have that issue?

</rant>

mktng
04-03-2013, 09:46 AM
Yea. I get the brake release often. But I can understand why people ask. They just want to make sure you know... i`ve ridden with people who have forgotten... you just want to make sure sometimes.

christian
04-03-2013, 09:49 AM
With all due respect, adjust your brakes.

mktng
04-03-2013, 09:52 AM
i think the most irritated ive been was when someone told me to clamp my qr a certain way ... it would apparently make my bike a bit faster. haha.

oliver1850
04-03-2013, 10:31 AM
i think the most irritated ive been was when someone told me to clamp my qr a certain way ... it would apparently make my bike a bit faster. haha.

Probably true, if done in the wind tunnel.

batman1425
04-03-2013, 10:35 AM
Maybe not faster, but I close mine so the handle ends up in between the stays on the rear and just behind the fork in the front. Lessens the chance a wheel will get caught by the skewer during an accidental wheel overlap/touch.

WickedWheels
04-03-2013, 10:42 AM
Maybe not faster, but I close mine so the handle ends up in between the stays on the rear and just behind the fork in the front. Lessens the chance a wheel will get caught by the skewer during an accidental wheel overlap/touch.

Have you ever heard of that happening? I would imagine that if someone is close enough to you to have that happen you're probably going down anyway.

I prefer to point it towards the rear so that it's easier to get a hand in there and open it.

Dude
04-03-2013, 11:16 AM
It is usually done with best intentions, but my split second reaction is "HOLY ***** MY WHEEL IS COMING OFF" and then realize they mean brake release.

@christian
My racing rim is wider than my training rim, wide enough where using a barrel adjuster wont do so I use the the brake release as well.

shovelhd
04-03-2013, 11:21 AM

+1. I teach a Cat5 clinic, and I'll routinely tell riders to adjust their QR before we start. It's an issue in close quarters and can become an issue during a crash. I'm also not afraid to tell someone about their caliper release during a race. If they don't like it, tough. There is no way for other riders to know if it's an accident waiting to happen.

pdmtong
04-03-2013, 12:21 PM
despite my other post, I seldom comment when someones brake release is open. may be intentional as OP states. might be absent-minded.

if the QR is open though I usually make a "helpful comment" - especially if the person appears to be more recreational rider. its a matter of safety.

jds108
04-03-2013, 12:42 PM
I hope that we'd all tell a fellow rider if their wheel QR is open... I haven't ever seen that yet myself.

I remember commenting to a guy I didn't know during a group ride that his brake release was open. He said "I keep it that way so I don't brake too hard". He's an experienced rider who is good in the group, so to each his own I guess.

pdmtong
04-03-2013, 01:03 PM
I hope that we'd all tell a fellow rider if their wheel QR is open... I haven't ever seen that yet myself.

of course if it was truly wide open the wheel might bounce out at any time. what I see mostly is the rear is not all the way closed. or the front is facing forward and obviously looser. worst I have seen is at a 45d. that's almost about to flop open!

I try to say it in a way that doesn't make the person feel like an idiot - there isn't any mincing the words but using a friendly voice instead of a condescending you idiot tone makes a big difference. I'll offer to close it for them if they'd like as well

sc53
04-03-2013, 01:07 PM
How about a grown man who is wearing his helmet backwards? I wanted to say something, but just couldn't. Too embarrassing for the both of us.

Black Dog
04-03-2013, 01:09 PM
Have you ever heard of that happening? I would imagine that if someone is close enough to you to have that happen you're probably going down anyway.

I prefer to point it towards the rear so that it's easier to get a hand in there and open it.

It does happen and the position of the QR can prevent the guy behind from going down.

parris
04-03-2013, 07:41 PM
When I worked in shops years ago people would bring bikes in for service with the wheel qr fully open but cranked down like it was a one sided wingnut. Most of them were new to the sport and had been given a bike by a family member or friend without being told how qr levers worked.

There were also some customers who believed that cranking the lever down like a wingnut provided more security than using the lever properly. Fortunately most of the time we were able to get both types of customers sorted out though.

palincss
04-03-2013, 09:21 PM

I used to see plenty of front wheel quick releases in the open position watching other riders during my commute. Ever since lawyer lips became popular, people have been trained to regard the quick release handle as a giant wing nut, and plenty of novices don't know to actually close the QR lever. Back in the day, that's the sort of mistake you'd make only once.

palincss
04-03-2013, 09:22 PM
How about a grown man who is wearing his helmet backwards? I wanted to say something, but just couldn't. Too embarrassing for the both of us.

Either I've seen him too, or there's more than one of them doing it. You'd think the straps covering his eyes would have given him a clue he was doing it wrong...

Lazer
04-05-2013, 06:32 AM
With all due respect, adjust your brakes.
cosine.