PDA

View Full Version : Care/Maintenance or Wheels with Stan's

sfscott
04-03-2013, 02:34 AM
After a long hiatus, I am taking my MTB off the hooks and riding it again.

I have tubeless UST wheels on it, and when the tires/wheels were put together, the LBS used some Stan's No-tubes latex. Since the bike has been sitting for a long time (a couple of years) I am wondering if I need to do anything re the Stan's?

Do I add more? If so, how much? Do I need to take the tires off, clean out and start over?

BTW, I have a Stan's injector, and for the life of me, I cannot get the tip to screw onto a Presta valve. And I did remove the core. This was on a tubular road tire, but I would think a Presta is a Presta. The injector says it works with both kinds of valves, but I am missing something.

DRietz
04-03-2013, 02:59 AM
Yeah, remove the tires and clean off all the solidified Stans gunk from inside the casing and the rim.

Remount, put a cup of Stans in before you fully mount the second bead, finish mounting, then inflate/seat.

Ta-da!

oldpotatoe
04-03-2013, 08:24 AM
After a long hiatus, I am taking my MTB off the hooks and riding it again.

I have tubeless UST wheels on it, and when the tires/wheels were put together, the LBS used some Stan's No-tubes latex. Since the bike has been sitting for a long time (a couple of years) I am wondering if I need to do anything re the Stan's?

Do I add more? If so, how much? Do I need to take the tires off, clean out and start over?

BTW, I have a Stan's injector, and for the life of me, I cannot get the tip to screw onto a Presta valve. And I did remove the core. This was on a tubular road tire, but I would think a Presta is a Presta. The injector says it works with both kinds of valves, but I am missing something.

Take the tires off, clean out the 'sponge' of liquid latex clumped in there, add more..see the instructions as to how much.

For above..it's the wee red cup that comes with ulk stan's..don't use a 'cup' of the stuff..

rice rocket
04-03-2013, 09:44 AM
UST doesn't need sealant?

DRietz
04-03-2013, 01:01 PM
For above..it's the wee red cup that comes with ulk stan's..don't use a 'cup' of the stuff..

Sorry for not having been more clear.

crownjewelwl
04-03-2013, 01:04 PM
UST doesn't need sealant?

technically not...actual ust tire are supposed to be airtight w/o

guyintense
04-03-2013, 02:02 PM
technically not...actual ust tire are supposed to be airtight w/o

Airtight but not thorn proof.
If you don't already have them buy stems with a removable core. Don't put the sealant in until BOTH beads are seated, then remove the core and install the sealant using the 2 oz bottle you should be able to buy at your LBS.
Sometimes the beads take a lot of pressure to seat fully and if you've ever had a tire blow off the rim with sealant inside you know what a mess it can make.
Now fill that 2 oz bottle, make sure the top is good and tight and put it in your pack just in case you go dry on the trail.
Oh yeah, welcome back.

sfscott
04-03-2013, 02:04 PM
Any trick to getting the injector to screw onto the coreless presta valve? Doesn't seem to fit and is not reversible.

Then again, I am mechanically challenged.

rice rocket
04-03-2013, 02:05 PM
Why not just dump some sealant in before you mount the tire? I don't get why people like injecting it through the valve stem, these are not tubies.

guyintense
04-03-2013, 02:10 PM
Does it look like this? It doesn't have to screw in, just push hard and squeeze.

sfscott
04-03-2013, 02:12 PM
I have the big bottle. And injecting is nice for touch ups... And I do have tubies as well :)

Just askin'

jh_on_the_cape
04-03-2013, 02:17 PM
I have the big bottle. And injecting is nice for touch ups... And I do have tubies as well :)

Just askin'

I use the caffelatex injector. No need to remove valve core.
I actually just inject it into superlight tubes! I hate cleaning that gunk out of the tire and rim.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31z9gGz-xbL._SX342_.jpg

crownjewelwl
04-03-2013, 03:50 PM
Why not just dump some sealant in before you mount the tire? I don't get why people like injecting it through the valve stem, these are not tubies.

cuz it can be a friggin mess if the tire is hard to seat!

rice rocket
04-03-2013, 04:01 PM
cuz it can be a friggin mess if the tire is hard to seat!

Seat the spot nearest your puddle first, and work your way around so you do your final seating at the top. This isn't rocket science, boys!

guyintense
04-03-2013, 06:00 PM
Seat the spot nearest your puddle first, and work your way around so you do your final seating at the top. This isn't rocket science, boys!

As I said, if you've done a bunch of different tires on a bunch of different rims the bead seating issue can be a problem. I found a system that works really well for me.
Your results may vary.

oldpotatoe
04-03-2013, 06:09 PM

But don't do it on your new berber carpeting.