PDA

View Full Version : Sexy Parts vs. Practical Gear

ti_boi
11-21-2005, 08:41 AM
Well, sex appeal has lost (once again) to functionality....as I begin to phase out my much-loved paired spoke Rolf's in favor of the venerable higher count CXP-33 Mavic.

Why? After I made the switch to the thicker sidewall tires (28mm!), I felt the Rolf's simply didn't have the stability I needed any more.

The same thing is happening with my seat -- after a real issue with the Aliante by Fiz'ik....I am going back to my Brooks Swift. Nuff Said.

So it seems that I am drawn to the sexy gear, but it simply doesn't have the practicality and usefulness as the tried and true stuff. Anyone else made the switch from stuff that was 'aesthetically pleasing' to stuff that just 'worked'?

aes·thet·ic or es·thet·ic (s-thtk)
adj.
1. Relating to the philosophy or theories of aesthetics.
2. Of or concerning the appreciation of beauty or good taste: the aesthetic faculties.
3. Characterized by a heightened sensitivity to beauty.
4. Artistic: The play was an aesthetic success.
5. Informal Conforming to accepted notions of good taste.

What matters more....great looks or reliable performance?

Cadence230
11-21-2005, 08:57 AM
[QUOTE=ti_boi] Anyone else made the switch from stuff that was 'aesthetically pleasing' to stuff that just 'worked'?

Went from Porsche 928 to Toyota pickup with bed cover. Then BMW M5 to Toyota 4Runner. It's hard for me to separate art from life, emotion from practicality....protect me from what I want! White tires to black ones.

ti_boi
11-21-2005, 09:00 AM
You have forsaken the German Uber Performance (and highly tuned) machine for the dialed in reliability of the Japanese mode of transport. Fascinating! Simplifying the expense and upkeep while sublimating your own ego and perhaps the dopamine that these cars deliver to the brain.

Plato, the classical philosopher, said that building your own house should be a requirement of life.

zap
11-21-2005, 09:01 AM
Get both.

Ride Campy.

bluesea
11-21-2005, 09:03 AM
I think that a basic build with no special parts has a clean and attractive aesthetic (aes·thet·ic or es·thet·ic (s-thtk): 5. Informal Conforming to accepted notions of good taste).

Plain Jane (http://home.hawaii.rr.com/konnichiwa/DSC00427.JPG)

Then again, I may be old-fashioned.

ti_boi
11-21-2005, 09:09 AM
"Art is the imposing of a pattern on experience, and our aesthetic enjoyment is recognition of the pattern."
Alfred North Whitehead

bluesea
11-21-2005, 09:42 AM
"What can be seen must be seen"
Paul Elvstrøm

Argos
11-21-2005, 09:53 AM
Why not get Great Looks and Reliable performance?

There are a ton of bikes out there that are riding around on parts of proven reliability, as compared with less flashy components, that look georgous yet are not bottom of the bucket parts. You do not even have to restrict the thought of High Performance Zoot to All things Campy (though Zap has a good point) or D/A. Even the new Ultegra 10 is a really nice group. I'm not the biggest fan of the lines of the Crank, but that is subjective.

My wheels are strong, durable, and in my opinion, SUPER aesthetically pleasing. I'm not sure if weight is a factor, but I'm pretty sure they can hold a guy in his 220's. I'm 165, and at my heaviest 4 years ago 185, but normally a bit closer to 160. That said, a strong, elegant, and classy 32h Reflex can be built up with great spokes and the hub of your choice for not too much (an example) and though a small amount more then less expensive wheels, having a qualified/skilled/trusted builder build them usually would insure that they will hold up really well.

I know you are talking about more then just wheels, but I'm just using this as an example. I also, to clarify, do not think the CXP-33 is a bad rim. Good choice!

ti_boi
11-21-2005, 09:57 AM
I really liked the ZIP 404 (big Guy model), but ran into a deal on a set of the CXP-33s with Chris King Hubs at probably a third of the cost of the ZIPs.

I suppose true art is often a compromise....or it is balance?

Kevan
11-21-2005, 10:02 AM
f'r a Thompson Elite (black).

Damn thing will out live me.

Argos
11-21-2005, 10:04 AM
CXP-33 w/King Hubs? Bro, those are hot wheels. You had me at "King".

Yeah, the Zipps are lighter, and zoot, ultra zoot to some, and eah the CXP-33's show up with lesser hubs, but that is not bringing them down. They are adding value to the rest of the bike they are stock on.

Building them up with King hubs just shows you care. You should get an "atta-boy" for that and your significant other should be informed if your good deed, moved by it, and order you a nice Meivici to go with your Hotty wheels for the holidays!

Ahneida Ride
11-21-2005, 11:12 AM
Ti Boi

I am running CXP-33's mated to White Racer X's hubs.
One beast of a wheel.

I say purchase what you can afford. But make sure it works !!
I see no point in purchasing equipment that won't last. ;)

Vancouverdave
11-21-2005, 11:22 AM
And, thank you for contributing to the Pacific Northwest's economy by buying those Portland-manufactured King hubs.

ti_boi
11-21-2005, 11:31 AM
Vancouver....now there is a place that sounds like paradise to me.

fiamme red
11-21-2005, 11:32 AM
And, thank you for contributing to the Pacific Northwest's economy by buying those Portland-manufactured King hubs.And unless you don't mind contributing to the noise pollution in Northern New Jersey, PLEASE DON'T COAST!

ti_boi
11-21-2005, 11:40 AM
And unless you don't mind contributing to the noise pollution in Northern New Jersey, PLEASE DON'T COAST!

Ha! Funny....I heard they have a distinctive buzz....is it that 'noticable'? We'll see. I liked the Rolf (Hugi made, I think) hubs on the Rolf's but the low spoke count while pleasing to the eye was becoming a source of concern.....

george
11-22-2005, 06:35 AM
A gold Chris King headset on a jade green cda with compitition yellow labels, know that's sexy business. ;)

dbrk
11-22-2005, 06:53 AM
Back to the original notion of the thread and my worthless opinion...

I think the practical stuff IS the sexy stuff. What is cooler OR sexier than a B17 Brooks? A Schwalbe Big Apple on a porteur? Have a look at balloonbikes.com. Now imagine a really lovely person riding one of those mixtes, say, if you are a guy, a gal in a skirt, with a broadbrimmed hat, and sandals, on a sunny French by-way, heading out with a picnic in her basket...and now yourself on the matching gentleman bike...are you with me?...now imagine the girl with bug glasses and helmet, in a skinsuit that looks like it's from Mars. Pah. Who needs that. The Intimidator is such a silly look, so much costume, so UNsexy. But we live in a society that prizes costumes as if the real purpose in life is to dress up for Halloween. Halloween is for kids, so are costumes. As for sexy, well I'll take the lovely on the porteur EVERY time. Call me nerd but nothing looks more sexy and interesting than a classic bike with classic parts.

I'll step in it further. We've sold off the original Hampsten/ParleeZ1 and had a matte finish Parlee-built Tournesol Leger version done that will have a leather saddle, Nitto silver threadless stem, and some modern parts like Open Pro rims and RolyPoly tires. I will soon have a blog and photos on the build, which is currently underway (if I ever have time to finish it...) Now that's a bike I will love to ride that is far more practical and sexier too...at least to me. What you like is okay with me!!!

dbrk

Tom
11-22-2005, 08:06 AM
...But we live in a society that prizes costumes as if the real purpose in life is to dress up for Halloween...

dbrk

Thank you.

The Right Tool For the Job, as Marcia Ball would say.

White pickup trucks, much?

Ken Robb
11-22-2005, 10:46 AM
DBRK has no time to build up his bikes because he is tuning his lugged steel snowplow with bars above saddle height.

dbrk
11-22-2005, 11:46 AM
DBRK has no time to build up his bikes because he is tuning his lugged steel snowplow with bars above saddle height.

Actually, my snowplow bars are just a very, very few centimeters below saddle height...no, it's fitting that B17 to the snowplow that is keeping me so darn occupied.

dbrk

Tom
11-22-2005, 12:13 PM
There's a place on a road I ride that has several old snowblowers for sale out in the yard. I've toyed with going over and buying them all, duct taping them side by side so I could start them up and clear my driveway in one pass.

Dr. Doofus
11-22-2005, 12:26 PM
practical, sensible

sexy

indulgle

librarian

fetish

ti_boi
11-23-2005, 07:51 AM
practical, sensible

sexy

indulgle

librarian

fetish

OK, now we are getting somewhere....Jung....Man.

ClutchCargo
11-23-2005, 09:59 AM
Ha! Funny....I heard they have a distinctive buzz....is it that 'noticable'? We'll see. I liked the Rolf (Hugi made, I think) hubs on the Rolf's but the low spoke count while pleasing to the eye was becoming a source of concern.....

is noticable, but it's not noise pollution, it's music to my ears. King products rule (pun intended :p ).

and that buzz is nowhere near as loud as the buzzing on Bontrager Race X-Lites. anyway, anyone gives you grief, just tell 'em they wouldn't hear it so much if you didn't have to coast while letting them catch up to ya!

ride on!