PDA

View Full Version : fashion police: jersey rules?

vqdriver
04-02-2013, 12:22 PM
simple question, but i didn't want to derail a classifieds ad so i'll post it here.
what's the consensus on wearing jerseys if you don't own one of those bikes?

for instance, you can buy a vanilla jersey but apparently can't even get on a list to own a frame. every so often i see the new zanconato kit available for sale and i'm tempted to buy a set (cuz they're really well done btw) but would feel odd putting one on knowing i don't own a zanc.

s'cool if you're just a fan?

earlfoss
04-02-2013, 12:24 PM
I say go for it if you like the jersey. If nothing else, it's a good topic of conversation on group rides.

rugbysecondrow
04-02-2013, 12:28 PM
Sure, go for it.

Ask BBD though, he is a stickler for fashion policy. :)

crownjewelwl
04-02-2013, 12:28 PM
i think it depends on what you ride

sachs jersey on a madone would be a little ironic no?

Jaq
04-02-2013, 12:30 PM
i think it depends on what you ride

Or maybe a Trek jersey on a Lemond. But would a Lemond jersey on a Trek be a puckish bit of fun?

As long as your heart's in it, I don't think it much matters what you wear. Personally, I steer clear of team jerseys, race jerseys (unless I've been in the race/event), sleeveless jerseys and all things Rapha - the latter because I'm secretly jealous and mask that with low-key hostility.

thirdgenbird
04-02-2013, 12:30 PM
I poke fun at people who wear Harley and Triumpth shirts but don't own the hardware (pass given to former owners)

I would probably do the same with cycling jerseys but it is really all in fun. You better believe I would buy a nice wool jersey from a make I don't own if the price were right.

All of it is better than my peers that were wearing "Von Dutch" without knowing who Kenny Howard was.

MattTuck
04-02-2013, 12:33 PM
A good looking kit is a good looking kit. No reason to over think it.

Also, since Cippo didn't wear any of the jerseys you're considering, I'd say you're in the clear from a fashion perspective.

Bkat
04-02-2013, 12:41 PM
I see no problem with it. Even if you did own a Vanilla bike, it'd be kind of sad (and a bit too deliberate) to only wear the Vanilla jersey on days you ride that bike and not on days you're riding another member of your stable.

Of course, never wear a Campagnolo jersey on an all-Shimano equipped bike. But I think there's a law about that one. ;)

eddief
04-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Dave Thompson says is ok. Or maybe Louis.

Cat3roadracer
04-02-2013, 12:47 PM
This makes me laugh. We always make mention of staying away from "Primal Wear Guy" at the local races.

FlashUNC
04-02-2013, 01:03 PM
I once rode with a guy who wore a Bert & Ernie jersey, because his kids liked it.

He could put the hammer down. Though, I guess you need to be able to do that to wear a Bert & Ernie jersey.

BumbleBeeDave
04-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Sure, go for it.

Ask BBD though, he is a stickler for fashion policy. :)

. . . you don't wear zebra stripes, anything is OK with me. I just don't want to clash if we happen to encounter each other on a ride! :p

Seriously, though, just consult THE RULES (http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/) and you can't go wrong! :no:

BBD

Elefantino
04-02-2013, 01:11 PM
This thread makes me want to buy the two Sachs jerseys.

Almost.

djg21
04-02-2013, 01:20 PM
Go ride your bike!

sg8357
04-02-2013, 01:41 PM
I like the ironic jersey idea.

Rene Herse jersey, Gaulzetti bike.
Gaulzetti jersey, Galmozzi bike.
Rivendell jersey*, Cervelo Tri-bike.

A Riv jersey is ironic all by itself.

For fauxthentic jerserys, try these.
http://www.solocycleclothing.com/cycling-jerseys/classique-jerseys.html

Jersey rule for guys, only wear pink if you have won a stage at the Giro.

Kebuchan24
04-02-2013, 01:44 PM
I see no problem with it. Even if you did own a Vanilla bike, it'd be kind of sad (and a bit too deliberate) to only wear the Vanilla jersey on days you ride that bike and not on days you're riding another member of your stable.

Of course, never wear a Campagnolo jersey on an all-Shimano equipped bike. But I think there's a law about that one. ;)

+1 for all of this post

christian
04-02-2013, 01:46 PM
You mean seersucker shirt, Gaulzetti, certainly?

jmoore
04-02-2013, 01:47 PM
I have a KOM polka dot jersey. I'm 6'5" and weigh 230lbs, so it's hilarious to those that get it. At least I hope it is :D

MattTuck
04-02-2013, 01:49 PM
You mean seersucker shirt, Gaulzetti, certainly?

Christian, I won't remember but next April fools can you please post a story about how you're launching a new line of cycling apparel made entirely of seersucker. But that you'll get the same Chamois that Rapha uses.

pinkshogun
04-02-2013, 01:49 PM
im reminded that i have a white Wonder Bread and orange Reese's jersey in the closet

torquer
04-02-2013, 01:54 PM
I was a bit self-conscious when I first wore my RS jersey, and someone did comment about my (pre-Madone) Trek. But I justified it by explaining that the wait-list for the clothing was so much shorter than for the bikes.

Funny how I'll get more comments when I'm riding the Wisconsin-built Trek than the Taiwan-sourced Parlee.

crownjewelwl
04-02-2013, 01:58 PM
I was a bit self-conscious when I first wore my RS jersey, and someone did comment about my (pre-Madone) Trek. But I justified it by explaining that the wait-list for the clothing was so much shorter than for the bikes.

Funny how I'll get more comments when I'm riding the Wisconsin-built Trek than the Taiwan-sourced Parlee.

were you also wearing your catlike helmet with world champ stripes?? :banana:

gavingould
04-02-2013, 02:05 PM
my rules:
no current pro-team kit unless you have the full set, bike, and fitness to match - past team kit is ok, i had a 7-11 jersey for a minute, carrera jeans kit is always permitted.

no event jersey for the event you are currently riding in
(this is the same as wearing the shirt of the band at that band's show)

sufficiently ironic jerseys may be worn; polka dot KOM for easily spotted non-climbers (the husky among us - i qualify)

also the fewer logos, the better unless they really are your sponsors...

eddief
04-02-2013, 02:08 PM
i wore something like this? real bright and only the most subtle of logos. truth told, i've seen it in person and i kinda liked it.
http://www.elevengear.com/roadwear/coral-snake-jersey/coral-snake-jersey-men-s-fluorescent.html

scottyjames
04-02-2013, 02:12 PM
I just want to find a jersey maker who's not compelled to use the godawful graphics that seem to dominate the market. Plenty sell solid colors, but is anyone doing subtle designs that don't scream "just got dropped from my Saturday morning group ride and now I look really, really out of place"?

As for that earlier knock on Primal: that Schlitz jersey they make is pretty schweet. In its way.

Also, sort of along the lines of the OP, my favorite baseball cap at the moment is a nice lightweight number bearing the logo of Hinckley Yachts, the pride of Southwest Harbor, Maine. I don't own a Hinckley, and likely never will, but I certainly admire the design and the downeast craftsmanship. Next time a spare $250K is burning a hole in my pocket, though...well, anyway, for now I've got the cap.

Bradford
04-02-2013, 02:15 PM
If you are in high school, worry about what the cool kids think.

If you are an adult, wear what you like and don't care about anything else.

rice rocket
04-02-2013, 02:17 PM
I've worn an IF kit on my made in Taiwan unbranded aluminum commuter before. ;)

toytech
04-02-2013, 02:21 PM
I wear my Primal Mettalica mtb jersey with Colnago/Ferrari bibs. Sometimes I ride a road bike in mountain baggies too. Then again I have never been one to care what others think fashion wise either...:bike:

pdmtong
04-02-2013, 02:27 PM

I do that sometimes and the reaction is a lesson for all. No one I run into has any idea who or what a Vanilla is, let alone what is the non-trek or specialized bike that I am on.

moral of the story - wear and ride what you like since in the end we are all poseurs at some level anyways.

SpokeValley
04-02-2013, 02:38 PM
i wore something like this? real bright and only the most subtle of logos. truth told, i've seen it in person and i kinda liked it.
http://www.elevengear.com/roadwear/coral-snake-jersey/coral-snake-jersey-men-s-fluorescent.html

"red touches yellow, kill a fellow'....just sayin'

Elefantino
04-02-2013, 03:35 PM
"red touches yellow, kill a fellow'....just sayin'
That would mean death for all who ride red/yellow Serotta fade bikes.

palincss
04-02-2013, 04:03 PM
simple question, but i didn't want to derail a classifieds ad so i'll post it here.
what's the consensus on wearing jerseys if you don't own one of those bikes?

for instance, you can buy a vanilla jersey but apparently can't even get on a list to own a frame.

Pretty sure most people would think the jersey meant you preferred it to, say, chocolate or strawberry.

Lazer
04-02-2013, 04:11 PM
Wait....is this thread trying to tell me I shouldn't wear my Graffix Bong Jersey (singletrack mind) with Assos FI.Mille bibs and a Rapha Baselayer? I'm so confused.

PQJ
04-02-2013, 04:20 PM
Wait....is this thread trying to tell me I shouldn't wear my Graffix Bong Jersey (singletrack mind) with Assos FI.Mille bibs and a Rapha Baselayer? I'm so confused.

As long as you don't exhale, it's all good.

Lanterne Rouge
04-02-2013, 04:55 PM
Personally I wear the most wooly jumper looking merino thing that I own. For the same reason I start at the back. People are expecting nothing from you and it you don't do anything then nothing lost. However when you do drop someone on a climb and you're a fat bloke on a steel bike wearing a sheep it really crushes them :banana:

abelson
04-02-2013, 08:27 PM
I just want to find a jersey maker who's not compelled to use the godawful graphics that seem to dominate the market. Plenty sell solid colors, but is anyone doing subtle designs that don't scream "just got dropped from my Saturday morning group ride and now I look really, really out of place"?

As for that earlier knock on Primal: that Schlitz jersey they make is pretty schweet. In its way.

Also, sort of along the lines of the OP, my favorite baseball cap at the moment is a nice lightweight number bearing the logo of Hinckley Yachts, the pride of Southwest Harbor, Maine. I don't own a Hinckley, and likely never will, but I certainly admire the design and the downeast craftsmanship. Next time a spare $250K is burning a hole in my pocket, though...well, anyway, for now I've got the cap.

Check out twin six jerseys.

Bkat
04-02-2013, 08:37 PM
I do that sometimes and the reaction is a lesson for all. No one I run into has any idea who or what a Vanilla is, let alone what is the non-trek or specialized bike that I am on.

moral of the story - wear and ride what you like since in the end we are all poseurs at some level anyways.

They're probably thinking, "Poor guy. Someday he'll be able to buy a name brand bike!"

JEMM
04-02-2013, 08:41 PM
:banana:

EvanTA
04-02-2013, 09:53 PM
i think the more important rule is to never wear a jersey of a team you weren't on

christian
04-02-2013, 10:26 PM
I think there are only two rules: Wear one. And it has to have sleeves.

pdmtong
04-02-2013, 11:44 PM
They're probably thinking, "Poor guy. Someday he'll be able to buy a name brand bike!"

guy on a parlee Z3 (the handmade one) with SR11 comes up next to me and says...what kind of bike is that? I just reply a small builder in Portland. Again, it just goes to show we are in our own corner of the internet and the rest of the world could care less.

jtakeda
04-03-2013, 12:04 AM

Word.

sw3759
04-03-2013, 12:08 AM
"I think there are only two rules: Wear one. And it has to have sleeves. "

those are good rules.

i see alot of stuff people wear and think no way i would be caught dead in that.thats fine if they are happy wearing and dont care what others think.
been riding long enough have just got more conservative and a bit ocd about that stuff i guess.
no sleevless no "leaders",etc jerseys.don't buy the pro team stuff anymore but still have old stuff left motorola,carrera,system u,7-11,coors light and rarely use it but cant bring myself to toss it.
funny i did buy a rainbow jersey with a bianchi logo from 95' (ala luc leblanc)it was on sale and was cool looking but never could bring myself to wear it.
come to think of it,i dont think Luc got to wear it much either :)

also no thank you to the socks that come up mid calf and shorts that come down to your kneecap but thats another thread

Louis
04-03-2013, 01:31 AM
Dave Thompson says is ok. Or maybe Louis.

Ha! You'll certainly be led astray: Years ago, when I was younger and way more foolish, and shall we say, somewhat lighter than today, I did more late afternoon rides than I care to admit with no jersey at all - I guess I was going for the super-aero look.

My advice: Wear whatever you d@mn well please - you know it can't be any worse than what BBDave wears. ;)

fuzzalow
04-03-2013, 05:52 AM
Wear whatever you want. It is never about What and it is always about How.

What you don't have in style you make up for in verve.

What you don't have in verve you make up for in confidence

What you don't have in confidence you make up for in attitude

What you don't have in attitude you make up for in ignorance

And if ignorance is beneath you, you'd better have speed.

And if none of this makes any sense, you have been blessed in just riding your bike.

William
04-03-2013, 06:56 AM
Eh, Wear what ever you want (though I do draw the line myself on Stars & Stripes of the U.S. Champion jersey). I've always figured if someone is going to get all up in arms about my fashion choices they've got bigger issues to worry about.:)

Speaking of hideous, two that I still own and occasionally wear...

Bud Dry jersey that I won as a prime prize. I wasn't interested until I modified it.....and yes, the sleeves are gone.;) Upper 90 degree Summer rides on the Willamette Valley floor will do that to a jersey.

OSU Team jersey from my last year riding in the team. Ugly design with the hideous OSU "manhole cover" logo.

William

christian
04-03-2013, 06:58 AM
The fact that you cut the sleeves yourself does give it a certain Cipollini-like je ne sais quoi.

William
04-03-2013, 07:07 AM
The fact that you cut the sleeves yourself does give it a certain Cipollini-like je ne sais quoi.

If I have a cigarette hanging out of my mouth that just might complete the look huh? ;):)

William

djg
04-03-2013, 07:12 AM
It's all good . . . if you're actually riding.

If yer going to the movies . . .

bambam
04-03-2013, 11:53 AM
Wear what you want and be comfortable that your reasoning is suffcient for you.

Personally I think:

1. Sleveless jerseys should be worn only by females.

2. Jerseys should cover to the shorts in the back. Exception to females.

3. Jerseys that say Bud, Bud light, Lonestar, PBR ,look like flannel or have other Nascar-ish beers should alway be seleveless.(like the bud Dry as pictured above)

3. don't wear single speed motif jerseys with geared bikes.

4. Bianchi jerseys are to be worn only on binachi bikes. (derosa,colnago,other italian jerseys match the bikes as well).

5. matching bike jersey colors to bike can over rule the mixing brands, unless it is an italian bike.

BamBam

rice rocket
04-03-2013, 12:17 PM
Watch with your comments, some forum members might jump you for being misogynistic. :rolleyes:

slidey
04-03-2013, 01:07 PM
Now, that's what I'd call a Zebra Crossing ;)

. . . you don't wear zebra stripes, anything is OK with me. I just don't want to clash if we happen to encounter each other on a ride! :p

1/2 Wheeler
04-03-2013, 03:38 PM
I hope it doesn't matter cause I have a Sachs jersey on the way and I'm quite sure I will never own one.

It's going look killer with my hat and bar tape though!:banana:

Elefantino
04-03-2013, 03:48 PM
OSU Team jersey from my last year riding in the team. Ugly design with the hideous OSU "manhole cover" logo.

And I thought the Craig Fertig-era Beavers jerseys were ugly. :eek:

KJMUNC
04-03-2013, 04:07 PM
Personally I follow the school thinking that you don't wear a team jersey unless it was your team or someone from that team gave it to you. I tend to only wear my old team kit or stuff people give to me because I'm too cheap to buy new stuff.

Also, WC and race leaders jerseys (yellow, pink, etc) are off limits for mere mortals who haven't earned them. I cringe every July when I see that one guy riding around in a yellow USPS/Discovery jersey, although he might not be around this year. For me it's just a respect thing, but it is a free country so do what you like I suppose.

d_douglas
04-03-2013, 04:17 PM
I bought a Sachs LS jersey off the forum here (not sure if it is real, as the fit is oddly loose) but I cringe a bit every time I wear it. I love Sachs bikes (I got to ride a friend's once!) but I feel like a tool wearing it.

That said, it is a functional thing to use, so I wear it. Secondly, I usually wear it while on the road, and my road bike is a Speedvagen, so I figure that's OK.

In the end, I dont really care about what I wear. I would like to have nice clothing, but I just cannot pull the trigger on $200 jerseys. 10 year old Pearl Izumi all the way!

Louis
04-03-2013, 04:23 PM
I met e-Richie and Deb at NAHBS Indy, he gave me some red twizzlers and ATMO lapel pins, and I bought an "Imperfection is Perfection" t-shirt. I also bought a white Regal from him a few years ago.

Is that enough to allow me to wear my RS jersey?

djg21
04-03-2013, 04:38 PM

I have one of these, and one of the traffic master jerseys too. I wear them when riding at dusk. After being hit by a car and spending weeks in an ICU, my view has become anything that makes me more visible to motorists is good.

And what's the problem with sleeveless? Granted you couldn't race with one, but for training during the dog days of summer, I like going sleeveless.

MadRocketSci
04-03-2013, 05:05 PM
4. Bianchi jerseys are to be worn only on binachi bikes. (derosa,colnago,other italian jerseys match the bikes as well).

Celeste on celeste? Too matchy-matchy...just keep the bike Italian.

bambam
04-04-2013, 10:13 AM
Celeste on celeste? Too matchy-matchy...just keep the bike Italian.

My bianchi is a black pista with celeste outlined bianchi logos. Lots of celeste accents though. Matchy- matchy seems to be the Italian way.

I probably wouldn't wear the celeste jersey with a celeste frame though.

William
04-04-2013, 10:57 AM
Scissors not included....;)

William

pdmtong
04-04-2013, 11:18 AM
Eh, Wear what ever you want (though I do draw the line myself on Stars & Stripes of the U.S. Champion jersey).

A few months ago a woman blasts past me like I am standing still wearing stars and stripes.

It turns out it actually was the USA womens national champ - megan guarnier - who now rides for rabobank with marianne vos.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/06/news/tibcos-megan-guarnier-wins-elite-womens-race-at-usa-cycling-road-nationals_225589

she was doing intervals, and when she slowed I was almost able to catch on. after 2-3 of those I finally made caught up. it is one thing to see someone strong on TV. it is another to see it right in front of you.

sevencyclist
04-04-2013, 11:44 AM
A few months ago a woman blasts past me like I am standing still wearing stars and stripes.

It turns out it was the US womens national champ - megan guarnier who now rides for rabobank with marianne vos.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/06/news/tibcos-megan-guarnier-wins-elite-womens-race-at-usa-cycling-road-nationals_225589

she was doing intervals, and when she slowed I was almost able to catch on. after 2-3 of those I finally made caught up. it is one thing to see someone strong on TV. it is another to see it right in front of you.
That's cool. Must have been glad that you were not wearing Star and Stripes that day.

blessthismess
04-04-2013, 02:12 PM
The number one rule you have to follow is:

Wear something YOU like
:)

F em' all if they say otherwise
;)

William
04-04-2013, 02:38 PM

It turns out it actually was the USA womens national champ - megan guarnier - who now rides for rabobank with marianne vos.

You never know.:)

William

Lazer
04-05-2013, 06:22 AM
Watch with your comments, some forum members might jump you for being misogynistic. :rolleyes:

watch with your username, some forum members might jump you for being racist.

Lewis Moon
04-05-2013, 08:16 AM
I ONLY wear bespoke Rapha jerseys with the appropriate matching shorts, socks and hat.
I have several jerseys with cappuccino stains that I need to have my personal assistant take to the dry cleaners.

canadasteep
04-13-2013, 01:41 AM
I'd say it's generally uncool to wear a jersey of one make, and ride a
different make IFF (if and only if!):

-It's one of your other bikes (I have a long sleeve Seven Jersey for cool temps)
-It looks REALLY nice (see above)
-The brand is REALLY expensive/exclusive(see above)

Seriously, as long as you can ride, and have a reason, who cares!
You like it, cool. It was on sale? Cool.

FYI to the thread starter, there was a couple of South Park jerseys by Primal Wear (I think) way back when!

oldpotatoe
04-13-2013, 08:40 AM
I'd say it's generally uncool to wear a jersey of one make, and ride a
different make IFF (if and only if!):

-It's one of your other bikes (I have a long sleeve Seven Jersey for cool temps)
-It looks REALLY nice (see above)
-The brand is REALLY expensive/exclusive(see above)

Seriously, as long as you can ride, and have a reason, who cares!
You like it, cool. It was on sale? Cool.

FYI to the thread starter, there was a couple of South Park jerseys by Primal Wear (I think) way back when!

I wince when I see award jerseys on the street..like a Giro pink, TdF yellow, particularly WCS jerseys or polka dot jerseys. Poor form, IMHO.

AND before you argue that many wear sport team jerseys, like football jerseys..that is right but they aren't playing football in them.

sworcester
04-13-2013, 05:49 PM
I have a KOM polka dot jersey. I'm 6'5" and weigh 230lbs, so it's hilarious to those that get it. At least I hope it is :D

I see the polka dots on a lot of people who make them look like ovals.

sworcester
04-13-2013, 05:52 PM
Wait....is this thread trying to tell me I shouldn't wear my Graffix Bong Jersey ...

I want one of those! Uhmm, the jersey

sworcester
04-13-2013, 05:53 PM

Especially an older woman (or man I guess) with "bingo wings"!