PDA

View Full Version : Oversized Head Tubes?

jpw
04-02-2013, 12:17 PM
What are the advantages of oversized head tubes and tapered steerers?;

http://serotta.com/bicycles/legend-se/

"F5 tapered steering column fork with oversized head tube (available May 2013)"

Is this oversized and tapered?;

http://serotta.com/the-candyman-vs-momentum-and-inertia/

EDS
04-02-2013, 01:04 PM

I preferred the perceived stiffness of the tapered fork on my giant versus the standard 1 1/8th carbon steerer on the alpha q on my Serotta. Probably a non-issue for non-carbon forks. Of course I am also not a traditionalist so I think the tapered enve fork, for example, looks better than the regular 2.0/1.0.

bicycletricycle
04-02-2013, 01:07 PM
stiffer fork and allows usage of huge down and top tubes so you can make the frame stiffer as well.

rice rocket
04-02-2013, 01:08 PM

I heard it was a fad and Serotta would never buy into it.

Oh wait.

jpw
04-02-2013, 01:11 PM
I heard it was a fad and Serotta would never buy into it.

Oh wait.

It's only an option:)

jpw
04-02-2013, 01:12 PM
stiffer fork and allows usage of huge down and top tubes so you can make the frame stiffer as well.

so for the racing boy or girl?

gavingould
04-02-2013, 01:23 PM
good for racers and heavyweights. i'm more in the latter

MadRocketSci
04-02-2013, 02:03 PM
Looks like a new tapered fork from Serotta, the "F5"...news to me!

please don't be 1.5" at the bottom....please don't be 1.5" at the bottom...please don't be 1.5" at the bottom....

rice rocket
04-02-2013, 02:15 PM
Looks like a new tapered fork from Serotta, the "F5"...news to me!

please don't be 1.5" at the bottom....please don't be 1.5" at the bottom...please don't be 1.5" at the bottom....

What do you want? 1.75"?;)

Bostic
04-02-2013, 02:21 PM
I'm not a big guy but really like the 1.5" lower bearing on my Tarmac Comp SL2. The handling is very noticeable when carving into turns. I've done enough higher speed descents on Mt. Rose in Reno to appreciate it over my other bikes with the smaller lower bearing.

MadRocketSci
04-02-2013, 02:25 PM
What do you want? 1.75"?;)

smaller than this :)

http://thebeerlist.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/vb.jpg

ultraman6970
04-02-2013, 02:41 PM
IMO the idea is debatable because it depends of a lot of other factors how the bike will handle, for example a few weeks meet somebody that uses a caad and he thinks the ride is ok but he finds too neutral for his taste. The bertoni i'm always mentioning is steel and that one handles better than many carbon and aluminum 1 1/8 bikes i have used.

I have tested 1.5 - 1 1/8 head tube bikes and you can tell the bikes are stiffer in the front but that doesnt mean they handle fine at all. Remember one that when changing lines at fairly low speeds (16 mph) it tilted to the sides like a f... motorcycle, really bad handling geometry, basically a darn 7kg 18 wheeler truck. Some people like that handling (maybe because they dont know any better), the ex racer in me hate that because you have no control of the bike, and usually the less you want is to have the bike to guide you off the road specially going down hill freaking fast.

Probably next year we will see 1.5 top - 2 inches down front tube?

oldpotatoe
04-02-2013, 04:14 PM
I preferred the perceived stiffness of the tapered fork on my giant versus the standard 1 1/8th carbon steerer on the alpha q on my Serotta. Probably a non-issue for non-carbon forks. Of course I am also not a traditionalist so I think the tapered enve fork, for example, looks better than the regular 2.0/1.0.

Well, unless you remove the variables, can't say it was stiffer cuz it was oversized.

Ride a frame with oversized headtube, use a 1 1/8inch fork..swap lower HS cup and ride a tapered fork of the same manufacturer..to see.

Mostly for selling on a road bike. Remember some pretty big boys won more than a few sprints with, gosh 26mm diameter handlebars, quill stems, square taper BBs...

Some makers jump on the latest and greatest thing...44mm headtubes and BB30 are good examples. As are seat masts, thankfully they seem to be waining. Road bike, doubt 44mm headtube does a whole lot.

Frame makers like it along with BB30/PFBB30 cuz it's easier to hook a BIG tube to a BIG tube..easier, means cheaper but don't expect the price to come down.

But somebody mentioned cuz you can make the frame 'stiffer'..YGBSM..some are so stiff they are almost painful to ride, even on short test rides.

IMHO

zap
04-02-2013, 05:06 PM
no mention of tt stiffness???

Doubt any of you need an oversized ht on a road single if the designer/builder built the rest of the frame properly.

ultraman6970
04-02-2013, 07:55 PM
THe funny thing (as potato said) is that with all those new BB standards they helped the bike manufacturer big time, just put a hole in such and such size and done with the BB, the frame gets lighter too helping the sale to the anals for weight and then you have to get adapters over adapters to get your stuff to work with the new frame and you end up in the same weight or maybe closer to the weight you had before with a regular threaded BB and maybe with a creaking BB too :D

Sincerely dont know how much these new things will help the old fat rider (me), losing 30 pounds and doing a lot of preseason weights and cardio work would help me a lot more than getting a super fast and light bike, in a matter of fact I have never been able to ride as fast as I did with my old steel bike 25 years ago using new stuff :) Just bling bling, I have to confess that :)

tigoat
04-03-2013, 05:53 AM
I don't buy the stiffness increase argument but I am sold on the look of a 44 mm ID headtube, especially with a straight 1-1/8" fork, which puts the headset cups, both upper and lower to the inside for a super clean look.

oldpotatoe
04-03-2013, 07:18 AM
THe funny thing (as potato said) is that with all those new BB standards they helped the bike manufacturer big time, just put a hole in such and such size and done with the BB, the frame gets lighter too helping the sale to the anals for weight and then you have to get adapters over adapters to get your stuff to work with the new frame and you end up in the same weight or maybe closer to the weight you had before with a regular threaded BB and maybe with a creaking BB too :D

Sincerely dont know how much these new things will help the old fat rider (me), losing 30 pounds and doing a lot of preseason weights and cardio work would help me a lot more than getting a super fast and light bike, in a matter of fact I have never been able to ride as fast as I did with my old steel bike 25 years ago using new stuff :) Just bling bling, I have to confess that :)

Reality(for me too), what a concept.

EDS
04-03-2013, 09:13 AM
Well, unless you remove the variables, can't say it was stiffer cuz it was oversized.

Ride a frame with oversized headtube, use a 1 1/8inch fork..swap lower HS cup and ride a tapered fork of the same manufacturer..to see.

Mostly for selling on a road bike. Remember some pretty big boys won more than a few sprints with, gosh 26mm diameter handlebars, quill stems, square taper BBs...

Some makers jump on the latest and greatest thing...44mm headtubes and BB30 are good examples. As are seat masts, thankfully they seem to be waining. Road bike, doubt 44mm headtube does a whole lot.

Frame makers like it along with BB30/PFBB30 cuz it's easier to hook a BIG tube to a BIG tube..easier, means cheaper but don't expect the price to come down.

But somebody mentioned cuz you can make the frame 'stiffer'..YGBSM..some are so stiff they are almost painful to ride, even on short test rides.

IMHO

Absolutely right that I have not taken away all the variables as the two bikes have different stems/bars. I switch wheels back and forth between the two bikes so at least that is covered. The Serotta was designed as a race bike (stock geometry/frame) so I was surprised by the difference. Still like the Serotta.