PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo 2nd Gen C Record questions

mktng
04-02-2013, 07:03 AM
Picked up a 2nd gen C Record group with Syncro shifters.
The toothed boss collar needs to be installed into the right shift lever, BUT ... of course it looks like it requires some sort of special tool for the job.
Does anyone know any tricks to installing this piece? ( http://www.tearsforgears.com/2005/11/campagnolo-syncro-ii-shifters.html )

+

Explain to me how this whole "syncro" shifting works?

This group is going on my girlfriends bike as a gift for her birthday. Being an Italian frame, I thought i'd be cool and go all Italian parts....only to end up scratching my head at everything haha.

Thanks !

R2D2
04-02-2013, 07:15 AM
Synchro was not a very straight forward installation.
First there was a sheet that indicated which colored ring to install depending on the freewheel and chain being used.
Then even if you followed directions exactly it still didn't work very well.

oldpotatoe
04-02-2013, 08:12 AM
Picked up a 2nd gen C Record group with Syncro shifters.
The toothed boss collar needs to be installed into the right shift lever, BUT ... of course it looks like it requires some sort of special tool for the job.
Does anyone know any tricks to installing this piece? ( http://www.tearsforgears.com/2005/11/campagnolo-syncro-ii-shifters.html )

+

Explain to me how this whole "syncro" shifting works?

This group is going on my girlfriends bike as a gift for her birthday. Being an Italian frame, I thought i'd be cool and go all Italian parts....only to end up scratching my head at everything haha.

Thanks !

Place the toothed ring in the shifter, with one side 'engaged' or against the shift spring. Get a thin, THIN bladed screw drived next to the part that isn't down or engaged and pry outboard on the spring and it'll pop in there. Just did it yesterday on a 3 spring bar end..don't need the tool.

BTW-mated with a C-Record RD, it won't shift worth a damn. Better with that era CDA, A-B Chorus or Athena BUT If ya use a modern RD, it will.

texbike
04-02-2013, 08:24 AM
Just do what everyone else did back in that era - replace those crappy syncros with a set of retro-frictions and be done with it. :rolleyes:

Texbike

tmf
04-02-2013, 08:30 AM
Just do what everyone else did back in that era - replace those crappy syncros with a set of retro-frictions and be done with it. :rolleyes:

Texbike

Guilty as charged! I used both the C Record doppler/retrofriction and the Simplex/Mavic retrofriction levers.

mktng
04-02-2013, 09:00 AM
im planning on running friction anyways.
would i need to worry about other rd's and etc if i keep it 100% friction?

oldpotatoe
04-02-2013, 09:03 AM
im planning on running friction anyways.
would i need to worry about other rd's and etc if i keep it 100% friction?

Nope. If you use the Syncro2, as friction, since it has a big barrel, any RD from any maker would work fine.

mktng
04-02-2013, 09:06 AM
Nope. If you use the Syncro2, as friction, since it has a big barrel, any RD from any maker would work fine.

:) awesome.

Thanks !!

mktng
04-02-2013, 09:06 AM
Place the toothed ring in the shifter, with one side 'engaged' or against the shift spring. Get a thin, THIN bladed screw drived next to the part that isn't down or engaged and pry outboard on the spring and it'll pop in there. Just did it yesterday on a 3 spring bar end..don't need the tool.

BTW-mated with a C-Record RD, it won't shift worth a damn. Better with that era CDA, A-B Chorus or Athena BUT If ya use a modern RD, it will.

Will try this later on after work!

Thank you!

avenan
04-02-2013, 09:42 AM
The actual tool is a weird, quirky, mostly useless one:
http://www.tearsforgears.com/2013/02/syncro-2-insert-tool.html

Like everyone said though, if you love your girlfriend, give her simplex (shifters!).

oldpotatoe
04-02-2013, 10:38 AM
The actual tool is a weird, quirky, mostly useless one:
http://www.tearsforgears.com/2013/02/syncro-2-insert-tool.html

Like everyone said though, if you love your girlfriend, give her simplex (shifters!).

Or C-Record Retro Friction and if using a more modern RD, the big barrel one. I have a few pairs and they are as good as Simplex w/o the 'all the way aft for lowest gear', gig.

mktng
04-02-2013, 04:14 PM
So i put it all back together. Just curious. Was it designed so that when u did flick it into indexed mode...the washer/stopper on the inside is loose? I feel like I put it together wrong. But im installing it as it was removed so that cant be.

Is this system THAT poorly designed?

oldpotatoe
04-02-2013, 04:30 PM
So i put it all back together. Just curious. Was it designed so that when u did flick it into indexed mode...the washer/stopper on the inside is loose? I feel like I put it together wrong. But im installing it as it was removed so that cant be.

Is this system THAT poorly designed?

I think ya got it put together wrong..should be pretty tight.

mktng
04-02-2013, 04:51 PM
grr. so upon further inspection. the braze on on my girlfriends frame needs to be filed down a bit. weird.

oldpotatoe
04-02-2013, 05:22 PM
grr. so upon further inspection. the braze on on my girlfriends frame needs to be filed down a bit. weird.

Picture of parts blowup-small washer at left, onto stop? Number 2?

mktng
04-02-2013, 05:26 PM
yup got it all. fits perfectly on a Bianchi I got kicking around.
but her Tomas seems to be a bit different. Just going to file the braze on down a bit until it fits snug !

Thanks for that diagram !!!

oldpotatoe
04-02-2013, 05:28 PM
yup got it all. fits perfectly on a Bianchi I got kicking around.
but her Tomas seems to be a bit different. Just going to file the braze on down a bit until it fits snug !

Thanks for that diagram !!!

Happy to help

csm
04-02-2013, 06:13 PM
Synchro used to sorta work with superbe pro shift levers. Not that they are that plentiful anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mktng
04-02-2013, 07:08 PM
Yea, i've been reading up on pairing shifters from several other groups. But ultimately I would like to keep everything original ! :)