PDA

View Full Version : UCI considering ban on sunglasses

MattTuck
04-01-2013, 10:18 AM
Must be another doping case about to blow open. Trying to create a diversion with another ridiculous rule to keep people from seeing the organization as a sham.

From Velonews:

UCI officials are considering a ban on tinted sunglasses. Professional cycling photographers have argued for several years in secret memos that sunglasses hide riders' faces and compromise the quality of their photographs. This new rule would only ban tinted eye shields and should restore photographers' ability to capture a riders' emotions through "the windows to the soul." According one UCI insider the rule aims to "humanize the riders and give the fans a chance to see them as men, rather than robots controlled by team directors. People want to see the riders' struggle, and hiding all that pain behind tinted sunglasses robs the fans of a chance to witness the on bike struggles of these great athletes."

FlashUNC
04-01-2013, 10:20 AM
Or its April Fools.

The fact news sites engage in this nonsense is catastrophically stupid.

crownjewelwl
04-01-2013, 10:22 AM
Must be another doping case about to blow open. Trying to create a diversion with another ridiculous rule to keep people from seeing the organization as a sham.

From Velonews:

dude...did u really fall for it?

MattTuck
04-01-2013, 10:23 AM
dude...did u really fall for it?

Actually, I wrote it. I just put the "velonews" reference for credibility. :banana:

William
04-01-2013, 10:26 AM
...According one UCI insider the rule aims to "humanize the riders and give the fans a chance to see them as men, rather than robots controlled by team directors.

I knew it!! The video posted in the Rhonde thread clearly showed the radio ear piece taped to his ear that Boonen was being directed to grimace and roll around in "Pain". Certainly designed to "humanize the riders and give the fans a chance to see them as men, rather than robots controlled by team directors." I would have missed that had he been wearing his sunglasses.:rolleyes:

;)
William

Lewis Moon
04-01-2013, 10:44 AM
Or its April Fools.

The fact news sites engage in this nonsense is catastrophically stupid.

Only to the humorless.

FlashUNC
04-01-2013, 10:47 AM
Only to the humorless.

You're (Velonews in this case) a news site. Your credibility is based on disclosing things that are, yanno, true.

Turning the site over for a day to unfunny posts places whatever credibility you build up the other 364 days in jeopardy.

Of course, velonews and Bicycling and the rest haven't been real news sources for a long time.

MattTuck
04-01-2013, 10:51 AM
You're (Velonews in this case) a news site. Your credibility is based on disclosing things that are, yanno, true.

Turning the site over for a day to unfunny posts places whatever credibility you build up the other 364 days in jeopardy.

Of course, velonews and Bicycling and the rest haven't been real news sources for a long time.

Just to be clear. Velonews didn't write that. I did. As a joke. I just said that velonews wrote it to make it sound more, yanno, true. ;)

I understand your position though, a news site should stick to the facts. Can't argue with that. Let the lame April fools jokes come from hacks like me.

crownjewelwl
04-01-2013, 11:06 AM
Actually, I wrote it. I just put the "velonews" reference for credibility. :banana:

thank goodness!

redir
04-01-2013, 11:11 AM
This thread just keeps getting better :)

Black Dog
04-01-2013, 01:15 PM
This just in.

...Velonews and Cyclingnews are credible news outlets with high journalistic standards....:eek:

zap
04-01-2013, 02:06 PM

That's pretty funny....for us.