PDA

View Full Version : I'd like to assemble this bike myself.

Rouleur88
03-31-2013, 06:41 PM
Hello, I am going through a divorce at the moment and need to try and save money where ever I can. Normally I have my LBS do all the work on my bikes, I just ride. However I would like to avoid paying the $150.00 charge they are asking to re-assemble the Giant Rapid. The Handlebar/shifter/brake assembly seems to be in one piece. I would like to install the rear derailleur as well as the front derailleur along with the cables for shifting and braking. My goal is to have everything assembled except for the Crankset when I take it back to my LBS for a final tuneup.
I understand that there are dozens of how to sites and videos out on the inter world. Does anyone have a recommendation on a site that may be geared towards the beginning wrench? Thank you for any suggestions.

eddief
03-31-2013, 06:49 PM
but used to really like the older one:

http://www.amazon.com/Zinn-Art-Road-Bike-Maintenance/dp/1934030988/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1364773673&sr=1-1&keywords=zinn+bicycle+repair

Rouleur88
03-31-2013, 07:02 PM
Thanks so much for the link to the Zinn book. Just checked online and my local library has it. Monday I'll pick the book up and begin.
Thanks again Eddief

Louis
03-31-2013, 07:05 PM
The Park Tool web site also has lots of good info.

Park Tool (http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help)

thirdgenbird
03-31-2013, 07:07 PM
Between park, that book, and this site you should be set.

AngryScientist
03-31-2013, 07:08 PM
this is not a difficult task at all if you have some basic mechanical aptitude.

my advice is this:

visualize, before you touch anything, how the system works. by that i mean, when you push the shifter, it pulls cable, and moves the RD, and so fourth.

understanding how the shifting set-up actually mechanically works does wonders for setting it up correctly.

take your time, stop and google any questions you have.

the park tools website, as well as sheldon browns are excellent resources.

have fun!

Rouleur88
03-31-2013, 08:35 PM
Thanks again for the great ideas and support!

T.J.
03-31-2013, 08:38 PM
Sorry about the divorce. Where you from? If it happens to be close I would gladly build it up for you

TPetsch
03-31-2013, 08:54 PM
Youtube searches will also yield dozens of helpful videos on the topic, you'll have to sort through a few, some are excellent some not so much, just pic the part you want to install.

"Bicycle Crank installation", "Bicycle front derailleur installation", Bicycle front derailleur Adjustment" & so on.

Rouleur88
03-31-2013, 08:56 PM
Sorry about the divorce. Where you from? If it happens to be close I would gladly build it up for you

I sent you a PM thank you for your offer. Can't tell you enough how nice it felt just to know someone cares. Thank you so much.

Jeff N.
03-31-2013, 09:22 PM
Sorry about the divorce. Where you from? If it happens to be close I would gladly build it up for youMe too...d'be a pleasure.

monkeybanana86
03-31-2013, 09:27 PM
I would be glad to help too if you are in San Francisco. Also, I learned much from the Sheldon Brown website and do almost everything on my bikes. If you need help figuring out the right tools such as for your crank and bottom bracket you should ask here!

WickedWheels
03-31-2013, 09:52 PM
First, remember that almost anything that gets screwed up can be repaired.

Second, try to think of not just what you are doing but why you are doing it. For example, not just what length of housing to cut but why it's that length. You will find what works best for your bike that may be different from the "recommended" route.

Third, there's no such thing as too much grease. Anything extra will ooze out.

Fourth, good quality cables, housing and ferrules. Most places cut corners here. At my shop, for example, I only stock stainless steel slick cables as the flow through housing easier and doesn't corrode. Alloy or brass housing ferrules rather than the plastic ones will keep housing working better.

Fifth, find a good shop to check your work.

Good luck!