PDA

View Full Version : Normal housing to nokon

krismac23
03-31-2013, 06:21 PM
I was wondering if anyone has every tried to run Normal shift housing to nokon housing. I have some spare nokon housing lying around and I vaguely remember seeing similar setup on pro bikes. Maybe it was the C'dale evo and a couple of others? I want to try experimenting with it, if anyone has some helpful tips or even instructions! thanks.

jds108
03-31-2013, 06:32 PM
Nokons come with instructions. I'm sure they can be found via google.

Advice:
1- Nokons can handle much sharper bends then standard housing, so you can shorten up the housing lengths compared to standard housing. In my experience the effective length from shifter to frame stops is a length that is just barely long enough when you turn the front side to side as far as it will go.
2- Run the liner on the full length if you're riding in muddy/salty/wet conditions. Otherwise, don't.
3- Make sure that the liner is a mm or 2 less than the length of the pearls that it's inside. You do not want the liner sticking out in places like where the pearls/liner enter the shifter as the liner can get bunched up and hurt shifting.
4-Take your time as you're figuring out how long the lengths of pearls/liner should be for each section. Do kind of a 'dry fit' before you start cutting the liner, as that's the point of no return.
5- the run of pearls liner that touches the rear derailleur will be shorter than it was with the original housing, but maintain a nice smooth curve (i.e. don't make it too short)
6- the only thing to watch for long-term is the liner shifting versus the pearls. I haven't had that happen to me in a few years - I think it's not a problem if things are maintained fairly well. Just watch while installing and make sure you're not causing the liner to shift versus the pearls - this can happen when you're pushing them into the shifters.
7- Just run the cables dry, I haven't found that it's better long-term to lube them.

krismac23
03-31-2013, 06:39 PM
I've installed nokon, sry to be more clear. I've seen a hybrid housing setup where Normal housing is run then nokon is kinda spliced in for the tight bends. I have nokon left over from another bike build and I was wondering if anyone has done this inline nokon splicing before?