PDA

View Full Version : Help with 7900 Front derailleur adjustment

merlincustom1
03-31-2013, 01:07 PM
Trying to help a friend with an FD adjustment problem. Symptom was Fd rub on small chainring in the two smallest cogs. I started from the beginning, disconnected FD cable, set small ring limit screw, set large ring limit screw, checked cage height and alignment, shifted out all tension, turned barrel adjuster all the way in, and reconnected cable. The problem I now have is tension. If I barrel adjust to get no rub large cog/small ring, I have rub in small cog/large ring and vice versa. Cable is seated. Not sure of the age of cables/housing. Could it be internal dirt? What am I missing/doing wrong? Thanks.

eddief
03-31-2013, 01:34 PM
that the combo rubbing is severely cross chained and probably would/should not come up too often. what shifters? some/most have the ability to be clicked just a notch to move the fd out a tad when you are getting rubbed the wrong way. also chainline can be affected by chainsty length and short stays equal bigger angles equals harder to adjust fd sometimes.

Trying to help a friend with an FD adjustment problem. Symptom was Fd rub on small chainring in the two smallest cogs. I started from the beginning, disconnected FD cable, set small ring limit screw, set large ring limit screw, checked cage height and alignment, shifted out all tension, turned barrel adjuster all the way in, and reconnected cable. The problem I now have is tension. If I barrel adjust to get no rub large cog/small ring, I have rub in small cog/large ring and vice versa. Cable is seated. Not sure of the age of cables/housing. Could it be internal dirt? What am I missing/doing wrong? Thanks.

jds108
03-31-2013, 02:45 PM
Is the FD cage as close as possible to the big ring when it's immediately over it? i.e. like just a fingernail's width difference?

Is the FD outer cage perfectly parallel with the chainring? I have heard (but haven't done myself) that you can try moving the FD so the bottom of the cage is ever so slightly sitting outwards.

tighten the small chainring limit screw as much as you can, that will of course maximize how far the chain can go towards the 11t cog before you get rubbing.

merlincustom1
04-01-2013, 09:24 PM
Thanks. The levers are Dura Ace 7900. If I had just one more outer click I'd be golden. The cage is 2mm above the ring and parallel. i'll keep fiddlin' with it.

SPOKE
04-01-2013, 09:58 PM
Try less cable tension and swing the derailleur cage out just a hair from parallel.