PDA

View Full Version : Eat before or after a ride?

binxnyrwarrsoul
03-30-2013, 04:59 AM
I know this was discussed recently, but after a (admittedly short, half-as$ed) search, I couldn't find the thread. I try to get my rides (1-3 hours) in during the early AM hours, before the roads get busy. I have always gone out with just a few cups of coffe, no food, and bring two bottles of water, nothing else. Then eat post ride. Am I doing it wrong?

rnhood
03-30-2013, 05:09 AM
Stick to your routine as you want blood flowing in the muscles and not the stomach. If you need to eat something then keep it simple and light. When you eat a big lunch and feel lazy its because more blood is diverted from other parts of the body to the stomach.

The fuel for your ride should be from the previous evening meal. Keep it light during the ride and stay hydrated. For longer jaunts and events candy or power bars (or the like) that can be digested quickly are the preferred fuel.

After the ride a recovery drink like Recoverite or any one of a number of others will help put protein and amino acids back into your system until you can eat your post ride meal.

dekindy
03-30-2013, 06:23 AM
Whatever you need to do to sustain yourself during the ride and not cause distress. Depending on duration and intensity eating before or during may help recovery afterward if you need to be sharp for other activities later.

RedRider
03-30-2013, 06:27 AM
I was taught to thing of food on a ride like gas in a car. For short trips you probably have enough in the tank. For long trips - fill up before you leave and you probably will need to refuel along the way.
The OP's schedule probably doesn't allow it but the suggested prep for long morning rides is a breakfast of pancakes/waffles/eggs/oatmeal, fruit and juice or the nutritional equivalent. Then relax for an hour and half to start digestion and get ready to ride. A small serving of yogurt right before setting off tops up the tank and is easy on your stomach.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and even more so for athletes.
There is a big difference in the nutritional demand for 1hr and 3hr ride. For an hour or less you can "refuel" after. For over an hour, and everyone after, you should eat a powerbar or equivalent and rehydrate with a nutritional sport drink. Plain water isn't enough for an hour plus with any level of exertion. There are other "clean" foods to eat such as bananas and cooked potatoes. Alan Lim"s Feedzone Cookbook has great ideas.
Drink before you are thirsty and eat before you are hungry...
Best,
Steven

holliscx
03-30-2013, 06:31 AM
d) all of the above

before, during, and after

cdn_bacon
03-30-2013, 06:34 AM
Before ( peanut butter and something)
During (protein bar or something with sugar in case I need a kick)
After (in the case of last night.. all you can eat sushi :))

tigoat
03-30-2013, 07:14 AM
I always make the mistake of eating too much before the ride so I usually end up getting really uncomfortable for the first part of the ride. I think eating light before and during the ride would be a good option to follow, especially for anything over 60 miles. As for eating after a ride, anything goes.

Tony T
03-30-2013, 07:46 AM
Eat a bagel before the ride (or at least 1/2 a bagel), and carry an energy bar.
Bonking is not fun.

witcombusa
03-30-2013, 08:04 AM
I eat before AND after... :banana:

eat to ride, ride to eat ;)

Seramount
03-30-2013, 08:59 AM
for morning rides, my fuel tank is empty...so, I always eat a decent breakfast.

for post-work rides, I never eat anything until after I'm finished.

norcalbiker
03-30-2013, 10:22 AM
We all have different system so try and see what works for you and then stick with it.

firerescuefin
03-30-2013, 10:25 AM
I know this was discussed recently, but after a (admittedly short, half-as$ed) search, I couldn't find the thread. I try to get my rides (1-3 hours) in during the early AM hours, before the roads get busy. I have always gone out with just a few cups of coffe, no food, and bring two bottles of water, nothing else. Then eat post ride. Am I doing it wrong?

Rob...what are you hoping to accomplish...other than riding your bike (weight loss, anaerobic vs aerobic conditioning, etc. )

slidey
03-30-2013, 10:34 AM
+ infinity

Drink before you are thirsty and eat before you are hungry...

What Steve says above feeds into the non-linearity of a human body's requirements. That is to say that just because you can get through a 2hr ride with 2 bottles, doesn't mean you can get through 3hrs with 3 bottles...you might need 4 or even 5 bottles! The moment hunger or thirst sets in in a big way, you know you've done it wrong...and, in extreme cases it leads to cramps forcing you to stop. If you're even slightly hungry, and are 5 minutes away from home open that extra bar you've in your pocket and start munching away.

Basically, perfecting on-bike nutrition is a personal thing and it needs you to really listen to your body.

OtayBW
03-30-2013, 09:04 PM
Some of the folks that I ride with 'stop for lunch' quite often, which is all well and good, but it still just does not compute with me. ~30 mi into a ride today, and I roll into the 'store stop' a few minutes after the first group who were already at a booth in this small rural pizza place eating spaghetti and meatballs!

Give me a refill of my fluids and a snack, a brief rest and maybe a place to pee and I'm back on the road - especially in the winter before I get cold. 45 minutes for a sit down meal I just don't 'get'. OK - I don't have to 'get it', but I just don't get it....:bike:

Louis
03-30-2013, 09:57 PM
Eat before it's a weekend morning ride. (I don't do too many of those)

Eat after if it's a late afternoon (after work) ride.

TheWolfsMouth
03-31-2013, 12:50 AM
Eat all the time. Even when you are not riding. But on a real note: Sunday morning are bagel and coffee....prob more cause its a Sunday thing. I just snack when its 30 miles or less. bar , gummy bears, etc. If its longer than that I may pack a sandwich and eat while in the saddle - but i try not to stop for more than 15 minutes - my legs have a hard time starting up after that.

christian
03-31-2013, 07:34 AM
I don't eat before early-morning Z2 rides of 2-2:30. If I try to do Z4 work without eating I fall apart. So for me it depends on what I'm doing. In the end, I think you have to listen to your body. It's probably going to give you better feedback than we can!

blessthismess
03-31-2013, 12:06 PM
~30 mi into a ride today, and I roll into the 'store stop' a few minutes after the first group who were already at a booth in this small rural pizza place eating spaghetti and meatballs!

Heven't you ever heard of "carbo loading" ;):p