PDA

View Full Version : New Calfee model

timto
03-29-2013, 09:03 PM
road suspension! and tapered tubes, integrated HS? Stolen from their Facebook page :)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/480739_527068817337120_560243560_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/580200_527068660670469_954900122_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/562201_527068754003793_1445079036_n.jpg

Louis
03-29-2013, 09:06 PM
Wow - the contrast in OD between the DT and the stays really stands out.

bostondrunk
03-29-2013, 09:17 PM
Love the webbed lugs. Miss my tetra pro.

jeepboy_90
03-29-2013, 09:18 PM
I got to see this before it was put together. Another quality product from Calfee. The lugs are amazing.

jpw
03-30-2013, 04:45 AM
Wow, the mad professor at work.

I really like the website. Everything you need to know is there. No telepathy required.

wallymann
03-30-2013, 04:52 AM
...is craig also coming out with a non-suspended model that features the oversized tubing? now THAT is interesting!

edit: here are words about this model, including options.

Our new model will be available in Pro (road), Adventure and CX geometry. Lugs are compression molded. The frame uses Look's outstanding ZED2 BB/crank. Options include (but not limited to); rim or disc brake, rigid or suspended rear end (10mm pivotless travel), tapered fork, Di2 and EPS internal battery and routing. This frame model is optomized for electronic drivetrains; mechanical routing is not an option. This 56cm prototype, with rear suspension, is lighter than our Dragonfly. This prototype will be displayed in our booth at the Sea Otter Classic. We are pre-booking this frame; most clients have choosen the suspended option with EPS internal integration; there is an even split in rim and disc brake bookings. We expect to build and ship the first booked units in May/June.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/529991_527068640670471_1491862383_n.jpg
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/537402_527068717337130_1811724155_n.jpg

rnhood
03-30-2013, 04:59 AM
From a "comfort" standpoint, it probably doesn't matter much whether the compliance is in the rear chassis or the seat tube (or post). But from a performance standpoint, putting the compliance in the rear end is far better as it allows the rear tire to stick to the road which is what the MTB builders strive to do with their suspensions. It will be interesting to see what the weight of the frame set turns out to be. I like the lugs too though they seem to be controversial. I'm glad to see Calfee pushing forward with new and innovative ideas.

tigoat
03-30-2013, 07:07 AM
Damm I want one with EPS and disc brakes! Wondering if you can make those lugs without weaves? It would match those ENVE tubes with UD finish lugs. Thanks!

buldogge
03-30-2013, 07:23 AM
It all sounded good until the proprietary Look crank system.

I've heard some serious bitchin' about that at my LBS...and from what I looked at, assuming we're talking about the same thing, I wouldn't want to deal with it or be limited by the system/choices.

I do like the OS tubing and rear end though...not sure I could justify spending money over my existing Tetra Pro though. One of you guys will have to buy one and take good care of it so I can buy it 2nd hand in a few years! :p

-Mark in St. Louis

thirdgenbird
03-30-2013, 08:14 AM
That's interesting that people are favoring EPS over di2 and suspension over rigid. Sounds like Campy better be working on discs. It's been a while since they produced a set.

Climb01742
03-30-2013, 08:21 AM
Has a price been announced?

jeepboy_90
03-30-2013, 08:25 AM
Not to my knowledge. I'm sure it will be around and/or above the dragonfly cost.

LegendRider
03-30-2013, 08:26 AM
Slightly off-topic, but how has the Tetra Pro changed over the years? I owned one in the 90s when the company was still named CarbonFrames and the current model looks nearly identical to what I rode 15 years ago aside from head tube diameter. I presume the construction technique is the same. Has Calfee done anything to improve or differentiate the frame?

TPetsch
03-30-2013, 01:14 PM
Looked thru some posts on you tube for a visual on this crank, just something quick to look at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0LIyyGtg-o

oldpotatoe
03-30-2013, 01:20 PM
It all sounded good until the proprietary Look crank system.

I've heard some serious bitchin' about that at my LBS...and from what I looked at, assuming we're talking about the same thing, I wouldn't want to deal with it or be limited by the system/choices.

I do like the OS tubing and rear end though...not sure I could justify spending money over my existing Tetra Pro though. One of you guys will have to buy one and take good care of it so I can buy it 2nd hand in a few years! :p

-Mark in St. Louis

Glad somebody said it. Carbon Astabula crank..really dum.

1/2 Wheeler
03-30-2013, 01:46 PM
[QUOTE=rnhood;1321292... I like the lugs too though they seem to be controversial. I'm glad to see Calfee pushing forward with new and innovative ideas.[/QUOTE]

Anyone have an idea of Calfee claims the webbing adds something structurally or are they purely decorative?

jeepboy_90
03-30-2013, 01:55 PM
I'm sure if it was just purely decorative, they would have removed it to make the frame lighter.

pdmtong
03-30-2013, 03:37 PM
Hmmm. I guess I;'ll have to take some shots of this at sea otter next month.

DfCas
03-30-2013, 04:07 PM
Is this Look crank/bb yet another new standard?

happycampyer
03-30-2013, 04:16 PM
Hmmm. I guess I;'ll have to take some shots of this at sea otter next month.Photos?! You need to finagle a test ride.

pdmtong
03-30-2013, 04:30 PM
Photos?! You need to finagle a test ride.

of course, if possible!

since these are all custom made one at a time, I don't see the big deal in limiting only to electronic.

as for the web gussets..I just don't get it. I had a Luna in 2000 and that was the way it was then. now, I think it looks whacky and certainly outdated.

jpw
03-31-2013, 05:07 AM
of course, if possible!

since these are all custom made one at a time, I don't see the big deal in limiting only to electronic.

as for the web gussets..I just don't get it. I had a Luna in 2000 and that was the way it was then. now, I think it looks whacky and certainly outdated.

the gussets - it all looks very structural, but over engineered. I'm all for innovation, but is anyone else doing it this way after all this time?

charliedid
03-31-2013, 10:00 AM
the gussets - it all looks very structural, but over engineered. I'm all for innovation, but is anyone else doing it this way after all this time?

That's the thing....it is both structural AND his signature aesthetic.

Unlike say, "outdated" chromed lugs which seem to have virtually universal appeal here.

I like both.

bfd
03-31-2013, 01:19 PM

The gussets were around on a few bikes back in the 90s. There was a tri-bike by Quintana Roos that had it. There was also this 1993 DeRosa Primato EL:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-cWr6oj87n1k/TgN7jblpURI/AAAAAAAACy8/V-Kg9q8Hms8/s1600/de_rosa_primato_el_os_02.jpg

Good Luck! :cool::eek::butt:

ORMojo
05-22-2013, 03:41 PM
More information, built-up photos, first-ride impressions here (http://www.roadbikeaction.com/tech--bike-tests/content/66/6676/Calfee-Unveils-New-Suspension-Manta.html).

$4,895 frame only.

firerescuefin
05-22-2013, 04:25 PM
Thanks for posting the link...I dig it...Very cool in more ways than one!

bicycletricycle
05-22-2013, 04:53 PM
i kinda like calfees but that bike is really ugly

oldpotatoe
05-23-2013, 07:35 AM
More information, built-up photos, first-ride impressions here (http://www.roadbikeaction.com/tech--bike-tests/content/66/6676/Calfee-Unveils-New-Suspension-Manta.html).

$4,895 frame only.

"The smoother your pedal stroke is, the more fluid the rear-end feels as it eats up the road’s impurities, but as you jump out of the saddle it doesn’t have the same snappy feel as a rigid rear-end. This isn’t to say it’s less efficient in terms of power transfer, it’s just a different feel. Ultimately, it’s going to come down to getting more time on it on our home roads with a power meter (and Strava) to truly quantify what we’re feeling. "

Softride reborn...

CunegoFan
05-23-2013, 10:29 AM
"The smoother your pedal stroke is, the more fluid the rear-end feels as it eats up the road’s impurities, but as you jump out of the saddle it doesn’t have the same snappy feel as a rigid rear-end. This isn’t to say it’s less efficient in terms of power transfer, it’s just a different feel. Ultimately, it’s going to come down to getting more time on it on our home roads with a power meter (and Strava) to truly quantify what we’re feeling. "

Softride reborn...

YBB in carbon...

wallymann
05-23-2013, 10:35 AM
IIRC a softride never affected drive-train stiffness, as the rear triangle was always a solid structure...it felt soft when seated because the beam would flex. but that never affected drive-train stiffness whether standing or seated.

this calfee appears to be "soft" all the time, as the shock is always active affecting the seat-stay contribution to rear end stiffness whether standing or seated.

Softride reborn...

firerescuefin
05-23-2013, 11:12 AM
YBB in carbon...

Closer...be interesting to experiment with the different elastomers.

pdmtong
01-31-2014, 11:08 PM
Hmmm. I guess I'll have to take some shots of this at sea otter next month.

I saw #2 in person today

Photos?! You need to finagle a test ride.

I did - maybe 10 minutes around the shop...loved it.

Ui2
Look cranks
Enve wheels and cockpit
TRP hy/ryd on king hubs

I have not ridden a YBB but this thing takes the edge off lumpy stuff really nicely. The tubes are massive. The gussets tolerable.

Its pretty bad a$$ - need a comparison versus Trek Boone now.

cnighbor1
01-31-2014, 11:20 PM
wow with a set of those lugs some carbon fiber tubes a hacksaw and some strong glue you could build your own CF Frame
Go to eBay and under cycling type in Bamboo and you find a kit for building Bamboo frames Pretty trick

EPOJoe
01-31-2014, 11:34 PM
Stopped in at Calfee a couple of weeks ago and chatted about the Manta. They're doing away with the suspension elastomer and putting a spring in there, as they weren't happy with the reaction of the elastomer in certain situations. I asked about the possibility of ordering a non-suspended Manta, and they were good with it, but I'm still enjoying my Tetra Pro, so I'm having a hard time rationalizing the purchase of another Calfee.

pdmtong
02-01-2014, 07:09 AM
Stopped in at Calfee a couple of weeks ago and chatted about the Manta. They're doing away with the suspension elastomer and putting a spring in there, as they weren't happy with the reaction of the elastomer in certain situations. I asked about the possibility of ordering a non-suspended Manta, and they were good with it, but I'm still enjoying my Tetra Pro, so I'm having a hard time rationalizing the purchase of another Calfee.

Did you see a manta? It wouldn't be my only bike but that machine could provide a lot of riding flexibility. I hit some pretty short interval lumps at speed and the rear end took just enough edge off while still giving the impression I wasn't being power sapped plus discs. And di2. I'd take one

Kirk Pacenti
02-01-2014, 09:14 AM
I've always liked the unique look of Calfee frames (webbed lugs)... but man, do I wish they would do just a little Industrial Design work on those dropouts! It may be be the only reason I could never pull the trigger on a Tetra Pro.

EPOJoe
02-01-2014, 11:17 AM
Did you see a manta?

Yep, but it was only a frame which was just about finished. That was all they had there at the time, but I'm thinking they must have a test ride bike floating around somewhere.

bostondrunk
02-01-2014, 05:23 PM
I've always liked the unique look of Calfee frames (webbed lugs)... but man, do I wish they would do just a little Industrial Design work on those dropouts! It may be be the only reason I could never pull the trigger on a Tetra Pro.

I've always missed my Tetra Pro. What didn't you like about the dropouts??
I'd love to have the new model, but out of my price range at the moment!

Saxon
02-01-2014, 06:13 PM

Interesting. Every time I walk by my Tetra, I admire how nice the dropouts look. One mans...

Kirk Pacenti
02-01-2014, 06:50 PM
I've always missed my Tetra Pro. What didn't you like about the dropouts??

They just look cobbled together... I realize they were designed 25 years ago in carbon's infancy and that just figuring out how to join the parts together was a big enough challenge at the time, let alone creating a super refined transition from tube to dropout. But I would imagine that they are doing well enough now to invest in a more refined solution.

Take all this with a grain of salt. This is a very nit-picky thing on my part, coming from a guy who geeks out over frame bits like dropouts and cable stops. The bikes really are good looking (imo) and have as good a pedigree as any bike made in the US today. Craig does some really fantastic work.

Cheers,
KP

happycampyer
02-01-2014, 07:10 PM
- need a comparison versus Trek Boone now.That would be interesting. The thing about the Boone/Domane that puzzles me is that the shock absorption comes from the seat tube moving back, which in theory at least would change setback, reach, saddle tilt, etc. as you are riding. Maybe the movement is small enough that it isn't noticeable/doesn't matter. With the YBB or the Calfee thing, the whole front triangle remains fixed and, for the most part, it doesn't feel like the bike is shifting back but rather that the rear tire is just able to move up and down (for me at least on a YBB, ymmv).

rnhood
02-01-2014, 07:27 PM
And with only the rear wheel moving vertically, it would seem that its able to hold the road better. Either is adding comfort, but the Moots/Calfee approach seems to additionally add a degree of performance into the frame, imho. Of course this may have an impact on stiffness when accelerating. So its a matter of tradeoffs I guess.

pdmtong
02-02-2014, 01:23 AM
That would be interesting. The thing about the Boone/Domane that puzzles me is that the shock absorption comes from the seat tube moving back, which in theory at least would change setback, reach, saddle tilt, etc. as you are riding. Maybe the movement is small enough that it isn't noticeable/doesn't matter. With the YBB or the Calfee thing, the whole front triangle remains fixed and, for the most part, it doesn't feel like the bike is shifting back but rather that the rear tire is just able to move up and down (for me at least on a YBB, ymmv).

And with only the rear wheel moving vertically, it would seem that its able to hold the road better. Either is adding comfort, but the Moots/Calfee approach seems to additionally add a degree of performance into the frame, imho. Of course this may have an impact on stiffness when accelerating. So its a matter of tradeoffs I guess.

i think its pertinent to remember that if indeed the suspesnsion, whether seat tube or rear triangle, is moving, there is a lot going on in terms of bouncing around while you are trying to drive the bike forward. I might be seated. I might be hoveriing. I might be off the rear. who knows? so...changes in the bike are not felt the same as if you were static in the saddle on smooth road

what we dont know is if the boone linkage moves more than the domane linkage.

my pal with the cancellara domane, SR11 and boras loves the ride. he was a bit hestiant to buy a "trek" after so many bespoke rides, but he does love it.

dhalbrook
03-04-2014, 01:29 PM
They just look cobbled together... I realize they were designed 25 years ago in carbon's infancy and that just figuring out how to join the parts together was a big enough challenge at the time, let alone creating a super refined transition from tube to dropout. But I would imagine that they are doing well enough now to invest in a more refined solution.

Interesting thing... at a certain point they did evolve, at least a little bit. My Tetra (around #500) actually has two bolts for each dropout. Later on he must have figured out how to securely bond the chainstay part of the dropout, because the newer frames are missing that second bolt.

I figure if I ever wanted to make my Tetra a disc frame I could just get a new non-drive-side dropout machined (j/k).

I don't mind the look of the dropouts, but the Dragonfly's are much sexier.