PDA

View Full Version : Oakleys on ebay....

bostondrunk
03-29-2013, 12:35 PM
OK.....are they all fake??
There are some vendors with well over 1k in feedback, selling tons of them, most people saying they are genuine.
But how does an ebay seller get such a huge stock of both 'stock', and custom oakleys? Does Oakley sell direct to a lot of vendors?

No relation to seller, but looking at these. He has sold lots of them, so apparently has lots of stock of the same 'custom' model. I even contacted a couple of folks who bought them, and they seem to think they are genuine. Whats the deal??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160996166423

Elefantino
03-29-2013, 12:42 PM
OK.....are they all fake??
There are some vendors with well over 1k in feedback, selling tons of them, most people saying they are genuine.
But how does an ebay seller get such a huge stock of both 'stock', and custom oakleys? Does Oakley sell direct to a lot of vendors?

No relation to seller, but looking at these. He has sold lots of them, so apparently has lots of stock of the same 'custom' model. I even contacted a couple of folks who bought them, and they seem to think they are genuine. Whats the deal??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160996166423
The quality of the current crop of Fauxkleys frames actually quite good. It's the lenses where the issues are.

Mr Cabletwitch
03-29-2013, 12:47 PM
I used to be an oakley dealer here at my pro shop, and the way oakley works is that you have to sell at the price they say and there is always 100% markup on all their stuff so it leaves you a lot of wiggle room for back room sales. At the end of each year they used to take back any stock I had left, but instead of just giving them back the stock I eventually started selling it on ebay and making at least a 30% profit. Never got caught and if I did all they would do is pull my account. There are lots of genuine oakleys on ebay, but you won't get any warranty support.

bostondrunk
03-29-2013, 12:55 PM
The quality of the current crop of Fauxkleys frames actually quite good. It's the lenses where the issues are.

Agree. There are some vendors openly selling them as fake for like $30, yet they look damn real. There used to be a few tell tale signs of fakes, but some of them now look really genuine.
The link I posted, those radars have a frame color that isn't even available (even in custom) on either the US or Canada website. And how this vendor can have so many of them, in various lenses....thats a lot different than a bike shop clearing out a little bit of inventory....

The ****ty thing is that I just went to the Canadian Oakley website, and configured a pair of radars. Iridium lens, but not polarized. $265 + shipping plus tax, came to just over $300. Ouch!

BumbleBeeDave
03-29-2013, 01:15 PM
. . . like most sports optics.

Unless I'm trying to read microfilm with them while riding, I can't imagine that the Oakley optical quality is superior enough that it makes any material difference for the huge increase in cost.

I know I'll probably get plenty of pushback, but that's how I feel.

BBD

Fishbike
03-29-2013, 01:19 PM
So true that there is room to negotiate. I went to an optical shop and priced out a pair of perscription Oakleys. It came to $485! I declined and the shop immediately took $100 off. I bought them and I love the optics but still dismayed by the retail gamesmanship. Of course Oakley is owned by Luxottica, the giant Italian company that owns most eyewear brands and most retail eyewear stores. This near monopoly is why eyeglasses are so expensive.

beestee
03-29-2013, 02:03 PM
They look legit. It's hard to tell without actually having them in hand, but these would be really good knockoffs, if they were. And yes, there is a difference--in both lens and frame quality.

Shops I've worked for over the years have sold tons of these, but there's also a lot that didn't sell. We had some pink radars on the shelf for over 2 years. The sticker price can be a bit high, so larger retailers may opt to move new stock in and unload a bunch at below full retail after they've been on the shelf long enough to mark down. Sunglasses displays usually have limited room, so putting current inventory in there is a priority.

BumbleBeeDave
03-29-2013, 02:10 PM
And yes, there is a difference--in both lens and frame quality.

. . . but several hundred dollars worth of difference? Not for me.

BBD

CunegoFan
03-29-2013, 02:33 PM
Why not buy the fakes then install real lenses? Will the real lenses fit the fakes?

Paying a zillion dollars for frames that must cost a few cents to pop out of an injection molder has always seemed a little iffy to me.

verticaldoug
03-29-2013, 04:16 PM
Wasn't there a post recently about a large Shipment container stolen from Oakley? Or was it another Vendor?

Llewellyn
03-29-2013, 04:50 PM

Unless I'm trying to read microfilm with them while riding, I can't imagine that the Oakley optical quality is superior enough that it makes any material difference for the huge increase in cost.

BBD

I agree BBD - Oakleys have always seemed ridiculously over-priced for what you get, which to me is a pair of glasses primarily to keep the sun, wind and insects out of my eyes while I'm riding. My $30 Kuota's do the same job quite adequately

More of a fashion statement for the wearer in most cases IMO

gavingould
03-29-2013, 05:13 PM
you can usually spot the fake Jawbones by looking for the little foam/rubber pads in the upper channel that help hold the lenses in place, fakes won't have them. the little "O" icons will fall out pretty quickly...
also pretty much all the fake Jawbones will have Livestrong branded ear pads no matter what color they are, as far as i know the real livestrong ear pads were only made in yellow?
i'm no expert, but i did end up with a pair of fauxkleys from a seller on the forum here a year or so ago, we did come to a fair agreement as they're actually not bad sunglasses. i won't be having anyone shoot a bb gun at them to test or anything, but they do work as sunglasses, and fit/finish is pretty good for fake. everyone who sees them thinks they're legit (not that it matters - i like the look and the ease of lens changes)

bostondrunk
03-29-2013, 05:31 PM
OK.....my 7 cents....

If you are talking -value-, it is always hard to make an argument for Oakleys. I agree that a $15 pair of glasses from any department store will work.
But I gotta say, I've tried so many brands/models. Giro, RP, Briko, Nike, Specialized, Tifosi, Smith...
None of them have ever compared to Oakley in terms of fit and quality IMHO. Not even close.
Believe me, it kills me to drop 300 on a pair, but if I want to wear what truly feels and fits the best it is Oakley.
I've owned at least 6 or 7 pair (radars, M-frames, Gascan, Sub zeros, scars, etc) and all were great quality. Don't know why, but Oakley somehow produces a better product.

We could all be riding walmart bikes too for the value....

technicolor
03-29-2013, 05:45 PM
Why not buy the fakes then install real lenses? Will the real lenses fit the fakes?

Paying a zillion dollars for frames that must cost a few cents to pop out of an injection molder has always seemed a little iffy to me.
Not sure about the lenses, but I had a friend who *thought* he had a real pair of Oakley's until he went to replace the nose piece. The OEM Oakley replacement wouldn't fit, at which point the Oakley sales associate said they were fakes. If the little nose jobbies aren't compatible, I wouldn't think the lenses would be.

oldpotatoe
03-30-2013, 06:42 AM

BBD

$169?? And the OP implies that's some sort of great deal...YGBSM..I'm with ya, not gonna pay $169 for sunglasses.

I'll spend my $169 on 3 tires, thanks.

nahtnoj
03-30-2013, 04:34 PM
. . . but several hundred dollars worth of difference? Not for me.

BBD

thirdgenbird
03-30-2013, 04:49 PM
OK.....my 7 cents....

If you are talking -value-, it is always hard to make an argument for Oakleys. I agree that a $15 pair of glasses from any department store will work.
But I gotta say, I've tried so many brands/models. Giro, RP, Briko, Nike, Specialized, Tifosi, Smith...
None of them have ever compared to Oakley in terms of fit and quality IMHO. Not even close.
Believe me, it kills me to drop 300 on a pair, but if I want to wear what truly feels and fits the best it is Oakley.
I've owned at least 6 or 7 pair (radars, M-frames, Gascan, Sub zeros, scars, etc) and all were great quality. Don't know why, but Oakley somehow produces a better product.

We could all be riding walmart bikes too for the value....

X2

My casual Oakleys ($180) have been one of the best purchases I've ever made. They are going on 5 years of nearly daily use. 3 of those summers they spent a lot of time in hay fields working in the dirt and dust underneath equipment. They most certainly saved my eyes.

After 5 years, they have two very small scratches that don't effect performance and the earpieces fell apart but Oakley replaced them 100% free of charge.

The glasses are still going strong but I'm close to buying another pair before they discontinue them on me.

Edit:did I mention they fit great and the lenses work in most lighting conditions?

thirdgenbird
03-30-2013, 05:51 PM
After making the post above I went over to oakley and found out they had been discontinued. Lots of searching revealed one vendor that claimed to have one pair (differ color) in stock. I sure hope their inventory is correct...

bostondrunk
03-31-2013, 01:13 PM
$169?? And the OP implies that's some sort of great deal...YGBSM..I'm with ya, not gonna pay $169 for sunglasses.

I'll spend my $169 on 3 tires, thanks.

Well, a lot of people would think 169 is a lot for 3 tires is CRAZY when you can buy 3 clincher tires of xxx brand for $75. Or three vittoria Rally tubies for $55. Hey, they'll get the job done. Why on earth would I spend 169 on tires??!!? That's crazy talk!
Oh, and Bumblebeedave, that Serotta you ride.......talk about overpriced items...a few tubes welded together....I could have found you something that would have gotten the job done for less than 1/5th the price.

:)

Next up......isn't Assos clothing great?! ;)

Mikej
03-31-2013, 03:18 PM
I love my Oakley transitions and polarized radars. I get a deal, but it seems the more I pay for glasses the longer I have them and the better I take care of them. I would never use anything but radars (cheaper led non polarized) for Mtb they fit awesome.

GeekBoy
03-31-2013, 04:09 PM
I have a big head. Finding helmets and sunglasses is a major pain in the rear, and so far Oakley is the only thing that fits well for all day rides, so I'll happily pay the price. I wore glasses for 20 years before getting contact lenses, so I'm good about taking care of them (not dropping, etc.). My 2 year old Jawbones are as good as new.

That being said a friend of mine got a pair of the fake jawbones. Frames looks to be identical (and doesn't have the annoying creak mine has), but lenses are noticeably cheaper. Not 100% sure anymore (it was a while ago), but I think the lenses did fit from one to the other FWIW.