PDA

View Full Version : OK - heres what I'm thinkin - Red bike build opinions.....

Dromen
03-29-2013, 10:44 AM
I have a New Red DeRosa Neo Primato in route that will be mated with a 10sp Campag group of some fashion. Question is which fashion, Alloy or Black.

This is my "longed for" Italian lugged steel for years. Finally plunging. Want it right(even though there is no right/wrong here). Intentions are for ogling in the winter and riding on 100% sun foretasted days the rest of the year.

One slight issue, i like the cockpit to match the groupo....plenty of black options but what the good alloy cockpit options if the decision is alloy? Which begs the question, does it really matter?

While spinning thru the new Camp catalog, noticed the Black/Red Centaur components. Seems like a very nice pairing. Too garanimal-ish? Opinions here?

Looked at tons of pics on the web, now its time to hear from my truly valued source. I look forward to the read. Thanks for taking the time.

54ny77
03-29-2013, 11:11 AM
If Campy, Athena 11 silver gets my vote. Cockpit options could include Ritchey classic silver. Or Deda's silver stuff. Or something from Velo Orange.

Always have matching carpet & drapes...

tiretrax
03-29-2013, 11:15 AM
I'd go with a silver gruppo - always in style. I wouldn't worry about the cockpit matching it, but it should match itself (silver stem and bar or black stem and bar). I'd go with white or matching red bar tape.

echelon_john
03-29-2013, 11:47 AM
I think silver on the N-P would look super hot.

Put some H+Sons shiny rims on it, silver bar/stem/post, white leather saddle & white handlebra. Bitchin'.

The Soma bars come in silver in a 31.8; they're worth a look. Nitto also makes 2-3 silver 31.8 bars. Or you could do any number of 26.0 bars with a NOS 26.0 stem.

But if you really care, any bar can be made into polished silver with some elbow grease and oven cleaner.

Post pics!

Elefantino
03-29-2013, 12:05 PM
Is it the red red N-P or the red white?

I think black on the red red is OK. Silver on the red white would be outstanding.

thwart
03-29-2013, 12:05 PM
Throw on the alloy gruppo from the Masi 3V, ride it this season.

Then next year, go carbon/black. Italianate red goes with anything.

No experience with the new Centaur red stuff, but it's PowerShift... like Shimano... :confused:

bluesea
03-29-2013, 12:32 PM
I'd build it like a mid-90's bike, without regret for adding black here or there for modern efficiency. That way you can add Chorus shifters/crankset if needed.

Fishbike
03-29-2013, 12:40 PM
Silver for that bike. No question. New silver Athena (or even Veloce) or vintage. Yeah it's Power Torque.

I have the red/black Centaur on a Pegoretti in ABVD -- gray with a white, black and red geometric design. It looks good with the modern aethestic of the frame and the other red details I built the bike with. But I think the all silver would be a far better choice for the DeRosa.

eippo1
03-29-2013, 01:04 PM
I'm going though this with the Della Santa I picked up from Fuzzalow which is red and has a fork with a chrome crown. I ended up deciding to go with silver on parts that are up next to the bike and then black for other things.

So I have carbon Chorus 10 sp shifters, Athena silver brakes, Athena silver crankset with Centaur rings swapped in, Centaur silver front derailleur, Record carbon/ silver rear derailleur to tie things in and black housing. Kind of a mish mash, but it's all looking pretty good so far.

54ny77
03-29-2013, 01:11 PM
you're the one who picked that up?

man, you got a gem of a frame. a very special rig. be sure to post of pics when it's done!

I'm going though this with the Della Santa I picked up from Fuzzalow which is red and has a fork with a chrome crown. I ended up deciding to go with silver on parts that are up next to the bike and then black for other things.

So I have carbon Chorus 10 sp shifters, Athena silver brakes, Athena silver crankset with Centaur rings swapped in, Centaur silver front derailleur, Record carbon/ silver rear derailleur to tie things in and black housing. Kind of a mish mash, but it's all looking pretty good so far.

gomango
03-29-2013, 02:04 PM
Grab a very lightly used silver 10 speed Chorus gruppo.

I found one three months ago. It was fritzy fresh and reasonably priced.

I have one on my older Kvale, as well as on my Giro 'd Italia.

Not the same color as your NP, but they pop just the same.

I've ridden Athena and like it quite a bit. Not as much as Chorus though.

toytech
03-29-2013, 02:05 PM
Why silver of course!
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c100/toytechthefirst/colnagp/IMGP3013.jpg

bambam
03-29-2013, 02:18 PM
Either would look good but I'd go all silver components.

Whay about wheels? I'd say silver spokes with black rims. The set up on the bike above looks real good(but I think would look better with a black saddle or gum wall tires).

Liv2RideHard
03-29-2013, 02:22 PM
Either would look good but I'd go all silver components.

Whay about wheels? I'd say silver spokes with black rims. The set up on the bike above looks real good(but I think would look better with a black saddle or gum wall tires).

Has to be Ambrosio Nemesis with polished Campagnolo Record hubs.

colod
03-29-2013, 03:46 PM
Pretty certain it is not possible to go wrong with that frame.
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/attachments/bikes-frames-forks/265269d1348589053-de-rosa-neo-primato-faema-de-rosa-2-faema-red.jpeg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_zOzbXS4oECA/TVCoUMiHPGI/AAAAAAAACyU/KnbQD2EGK0g/s1600/DeRosaNeoPrimato.JPG

http://www.campyonly.com/images/retrobikes/2004/SLX1.jpg

I think I'd go black, unless you are in it for retro purity.

dbh
03-29-2013, 05:20 PM
Without a doubt alloy. Centaur ultrashift silver if you are going ten speed for sure.

one60
03-29-2013, 07:47 PM
black is everywhere. Sounds like this is your sunny day bike...nothing shines in the sun like silver. Take the money you save on that alloy crank & have some silver hubs/rims built up (WI or Alchemy come in silver).

93legendti
03-29-2013, 08:47 PM
Without a doubt alloy. Centaur ultrashift silver if you are going ten speed for sure.

I had a red CSi and silver parts looked great on it.

Dromen
03-30-2013, 08:53 PM
THis is great. Keep em coming. Diggin the pics of your red primatos.

Dromen
04-01-2013, 10:04 AM
Here’s what I’m thinking so far. Kinda a mix of old/new and alloy/black. Own most, so based on some sage advice, am thinking of trying my new or almost new stuff first. More honest thoughts would be appreciated.

Campy Electron Wheels(gray rims alloy hubs/spokes)w/alloy record skewers
Record UD EPS Alloy 53/39 crank
Chorus Alloy brakes
Record FD(b/o)
Centaur Aloy RD(s/c)
Centaur Alloy 10sp Ergo shifters
DeRosa Black CF offset post(comes with f/f) or Thomson Elite Black 0 offset
CK Black 1” HS
FSA OS-99 CSI(Black with red/white accents)
FSA K-Force compact bars(matches stem) – fav bar
Campy black Cabling.
Black Brooks Swallow saddle.
Black Lizardskin bartape.