PDA

View Full Version : A close encounter with a Moots

ahumblecycler
03-29-2013, 06:35 AM
It was like a dream come true ... I was taking the long commute home when I spotted a cyclist in the distance. Out of sheer curiosity, I passed my turn to see who it was, or in reality, I wanted to see the bike (don't we all). Much to my surprise and enjoyment, the rider was on a Moots RSL. The drool began, but I was able to contain enough to tell the rider nice bike. The rider looks at me, smiles as he looks over my no-name carbon bike, and proceeds to ask what pedals I ride. I respond with KEO, and he asks if I want to switch bikes. I could hardly contain myself. I manage to eek out the word "yes" and quickly dismounted. He was headed south, and although I needed to go east, I thought south was a reasonable to ride towards. The RSL was equipped with Red components, ENVE tubular wheels, and an Aliante none of which was on my no-name carbon. The rider tells me to hammer if I like so hammer it I did. I have never felt a better bike. The ride was smooth even with the stiffest BB area I have ever had the honor to pedal (I have a CAAD10 with SLSI cranks too; the RSL felt better than that :eek:). After 1.5 miles, I pulled over and waited for the rider stuck with my no-name carbon. We spent the next 15 minutes chatting as we soon realized that we had met before (I had sold him Easton SLX handlebars February 2012). We bid each other farewell for the day. I watched him ride off as I reluctantly mounted my no-name carbon bike. The ride home was a mix of emotions: happiness of the bond between riders, the joy of riding the RSL, and the sadness of not owning a RSL.

Thank you Merle (AKA, gearguywb)

Dave B
03-29-2013, 07:21 AM
This story is what I think makes cycling and cyclists so unique.

The level of honor, coolness, and blind trust is rampant.

Brilliant story

moose8
03-29-2013, 07:42 AM
that is awesome - it's always nice to hear good news.

tigoat
03-29-2013, 07:48 AM
Okay perhaps it is a good time to do a search on Ebay for a well priced used RSL.

BumbleBeeDave
03-29-2013, 08:10 AM
. . I never thought I'd ever find myself writing a letter like this to you . . . "

:)

BBD

happycampyer
03-29-2013, 08:26 AM
That's a great story. There are a number of fine folks here that I've come to know over a distance and would love to meet one day, and Merle is one of them (and Prez too—in fact gearguywb and Prez (aka Mootsboy) go back to a much older generation of the Moots forum).

Whenever I've let someone ride my RSL the reaction is the same—it's hard to believe how stiff and smooth it is at the same time.

P.S. BBD, does that make you Xavier Hollander?

christian
03-29-2013, 08:28 AM
I rode Happycampyer's RSL wearing Crocs. It still made an impression -- "I have got to get some stiffer Crocs!"

jpw
03-29-2013, 08:29 AM
another reason why i ride Coombe pedals:)

BumbleBeeDave
03-29-2013, 08:39 AM

I am happily hooked on cycling! ;)

BBD

54ny77
03-29-2013, 08:44 AM
excellent story!

gearguywb
03-29-2013, 09:22 AM
Cycling is a great community!

It is very cool when you can try a new ride, and I always welcome the opportunity to give someone a chance to ride something new and different.

The smiles are worth it every time!

rnhood
03-29-2013, 09:26 AM
That's one of the benefits of our cycling community. Meet new people, make new friends, ride more bikes. Good story.

eippo1
03-29-2013, 09:30 AM
Funny thing is that I actually did a test ride with a Moots RSL (I work seasonally at a Moots dealer) and rode the Dean that you sold me just beforehand in order to get a direct comparison and came away with some interesting observations.

The first one was that a shorter headtube is indeed ideal for me. Next was that the Dean was actually stiffer at the bb and seattube area, but a bit looser at the front end - of course, most of that's dependent on the fork. The RSL did have a slightly nicer, comfier ride that would be more suitable for long rides in the saddle and I attribute that to the slight bit of extra compliance at the rear end.

Overall, I concluded that they differed mostly in terms of feel where the Dean felt more like a race bike and the RSL had a more comfy feel.

Good story, btw.

tiretrax
03-29-2013, 09:40 AM
Nice story. It's a great community. I have had the pleasure of meeting forumites on rides, and it's always been a rewarding experience.

sparky33
03-29-2013, 09:47 AM
Moots are harmless as long as you don't get between a mama Moots and her baby Moots.

SpokeValley
03-29-2013, 09:58 AM
Moots are harmless as long as you don't get between a mama Moots and her baby Moots.

Those Moots bites can be nasty, ya know.

pdmtong
03-29-2013, 09:59 AM
I am happily hooked on cycling! ;)

BBD

Perfect answer!

d_douglas
03-29-2013, 02:52 PM
When I moved to Switzerland years ago, I contacted George (aka Gothard) to introduce myself. He invited me to visit (yes, where he snaps all those stunning photos) and I simply brought my pedals and saddle to use. We ride the exact same sized bike, and he happily offered to let me ride any bike I wished to try out.

During my visits, I have ridden a few Serottas, a Sachs and a Kirk (my fave). He encouraged me to ride faster and turn corners harder, in spite of not knowing me and risking damaging one of these stellar bikes.

Cyclists are a unique breed indeed. Thanks George!

laupsi
03-29-2013, 03:27 PM
caught myself smiling as I read your story :)

beeatnik
03-29-2013, 10:01 PM
So what's the poor carbon bike?

Peter B
03-29-2013, 10:34 PM

Or me and my Moots! :banana:

Dave B
03-30-2013, 12:27 PM
That's a great story. There are a number of fine folks here that I've come to know over a distance and would love to meet one day, and Merle is one of them (and Prez too—in fact gearguywb and Prez (aka Mootsboy) go back to a much older generation of the Moots forum).

Whenever I've let someone ride my RSL the reaction is the same—it's hard to believe how stiff and smooth it is at the same time.

Yeah those were good times. I tried logging on there using mootsboy and no dice. Oh well.

I wish the old place was up as I would love to re-share the tubular story I wrote.

I had it on my old blog, but the blog got taken over somehow and now is another person's, which baffles the mind.

Ahneida Ride
03-30-2013, 03:45 PM
. . I never thought I'd ever find myself writing a letter like this to you . . . "

:)

BBD

Oh ...... that was bad !!!! :help:

ahumblecycler
04-01-2013, 02:35 PM
and rode the Dean that you sold me just beforehand in order to get a direct comparison and came away with some interesting observations.

I am glad you continue to enjoy the DEAN bike. It was/is a great bike, but it was not the ride I was looking for in a bike ... perhaps a MOOTS is :help:

jh_on_the_cape
04-01-2013, 02:42 PM
cool story. moral: be nice!
another moral: try tons of bikes.