PDA

View Full Version : OT: Building Online Friendships

carlucci1106
03-29-2013, 05:21 AM
I just think it is amazing how far the internet has come that people can actually congregate online and have a group of friends who share a similar belief/hobby/philosophy/lifestyle such as we do based on that. And somehow this shared passion translates into trust for the people online-- like friends in your everyday lives.

On the one hand we talk about how media has some negative consequences, but I think that being able to hone in on the people who really tick the way you do, and bridge spacial distance is quite helpful for people when they feel isolated based on their eccentricities.

It seems that not long ago, online relationships seemed too "creepy" and people who engaged this way were generally viewed as socially awkward. Now it's like we see that we are reaching out for the validation. Maybe there just aren't enough people in our neighborhoods saying "sweet bike." It could be that simple.

Just kinda a piggyback off of MattTUCK's idea of support, and others who have lauded the Paceline as a good group of folks. :beer:

1centaur
03-29-2013, 07:23 AM
BTW, for all those who bemoan Internet anonymity, I think that it actually HELPS foster better relationships because people feel more free to be themselves so the jerks become obvious pretty quickly. Sure, if it's a festival of trolls and mindless attack dogs then real IDs would have been preferable, but here on the Paceline the handles don't hurt and sometimes help keep the filters off the thoughts. Speaking personally, I can be way more open about things because I have a handle rather than a verified Facebook identity that can be Googled for all eternity. That means I can react more spontaneously and find out what I think as I type rather than filter filter filter for posterity. I come from a business where I have to filter professionally at all times for risk of regulatory and other legal consequences, constantly guessing how a thoughtless or malicious person might twist my words into something they are not for self aggrandizement, and it's very tiresome.

And more to the OP's point, the Net can be used to find out how much people from very different backgrounds have in common without all the baggage of learned in-person interaction skills, which is a very good thing.

SpokeValley
03-29-2013, 09:37 AM
"...feel isolated based on their eccentricities."

I don't know about the rest of you but I can clear a room of non-cyclists when I start talking bikes, rides, etc.

I'm definitely eccentric!