PDA

View Full Version : Pedals on a plane

iRide
03-28-2013, 09:21 PM
Is it okay to bring clipless pedals on your carry-on? Heading for a bike trip on Hawaii tomorrow

firerescuefin
03-28-2013, 09:36 PM
Is it okay to bring clipless pedals on your carry-on? Heading for a bike trip on Hawaii tomorrow

Yes..no problems.

veggieburger
03-28-2013, 09:39 PM
No tools though..including Allen keys. They will be confiscated.

zennmotion
03-28-2013, 09:50 PM
I've traveled often with them, and had them confiscated, twice. Effing Dulles.

54ny77
03-28-2013, 10:26 PM
now i always put them in check in bag. too pricey to risk it.

did carry on twice last year with 2 pairs, freaked out the entire time with potential security idiots. "that's a dura wha? a bike pedal? getouttaheer..."

i packed my helmet and bike shoes in duffel just to make sure they knew that yes, it was for a bike.

cykel
03-28-2013, 10:32 PM
Haleakala on maui??

Sea-level to 10,000 feet

afrizzledfry
03-29-2013, 04:48 AM
I've traveled to OR, CO, and AZ without issues.

Bruce K
03-29-2013, 05:07 AM
Never had an issue with pedals

I always carry on my helmet, pedals, shoes, and one full kit in case the bike or suitcase gets detoured

BK

saab2000
03-29-2013, 05:13 AM
Should be no problem but you'd be better off checking them in your checked luggage. Tools are a no-no. As mentioned, you will have them taken away.

Best thing is to carry only the basics on the airplane. People try to carry WAY TOO MUCH stuff on airplanes with them. It's out of control what folks try to carry with them.

Joel
03-29-2013, 05:17 AM
If you do carry them on - just take the pedals and shoes out of your carry on bag before you go through security and put them in a separate bin.

Then tell the TSA folks exactly what you have -"these are my bicycle shoes and the pedals that go with them".

Never have had a problem when I tell them what's going on - domestically or internationally.

AngryScientist
03-29-2013, 05:33 AM
pedals on a plane, better than:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-KnO8JV_l4zI/UO6u4b0e_nI/AAAAAAAAWbA/30N8k8HNfSU/s640/snakes_on_a_plane_poster1.jpg

laupsi
03-29-2013, 05:38 AM
just don't throw them...

BumbleBeeDave
03-29-2013, 06:32 AM
I've traveled often with them, and had them confiscated, twice. Effing Dulles.

. . . because it's DC? Did you have any ability to get them back when you returned from your trip?

When I went to France last summer the tour company told us specifically to take shoes and ledals carry-on because if our other luggage got lost on the front end of the trip we'd at least still be able to ride. Had no trouble either way but wasn't really expecting any on the French end--I assumed with cycling popularity there everybody would know what they are.

Unfortunately, jobs like TSA, customs, etc attract a lot of good people--and I think a higher percentage than normal of passive-aggressives and bullies than are in the general population. They are totally unaccountable for what they do to you and some of them obviously take advantage of it. You just never know which type you're going to get.

On the other hand, I also have some sympathy for them. They get villififed for searching small children and little old ladies. But if I were a sociopathic terrorist wanting to sneak sometihng lethal onto a plane, where would I put it? Yep--on one of those persons who would be unlikely to be searched for whatever reason. :eek:

BBD

Nooch
03-29-2013, 06:36 AM
when i went to vegas last year I carried my helmet, pedals, and a saddle all in my carry-on without issue..

OtayBW
03-29-2013, 07:04 AM
No tools though..including Allen keys. They will be confiscated.
You can carry pairs of 18 inch knitting needles, but no 2 inch #3 Allen key. What a system....:eek:

Elefantino
03-29-2013, 07:11 AM
If you do carry them on - just take the pedals and shoes out of your carry on bag before you go through security and put them in a separate bin.

Then tell the TSA folks exactly what you have -"these are my bicycle shoes and the pedals that go with them".

Never have had a problem when I tell them what's going on - domestically or internationally.
+1.

After carrying Speedplays through TSA at SFO nearly resulted in a cavity search, I now take them out. Everything's cool.

Formulasaab
03-29-2013, 07:16 AM
How about packing your pedals CLICKED IN to the shoes?

That way, they'll look like one piece crazy cycling shoes with pedals attached. Most TSA agents wouldn't even think of twisting the pedal to see if it comes loose and even if they did, it takes a pretty concerted effort to manage it.

zennmotion
03-29-2013, 07:53 AM
. . . because it's DC? Did you have any ability to get them back when you returned from your trip?

BBD

I have had a number of very unpleasant and unnecessary encounters with TSA at Dulles, and since most of my flights are international it's difficult to compare with other domestic airports, but it sure seems worse. Both pedals I lost were eggbeaters, they don't really look like pedals and the shape may have somehow freaked them out. I forget how much paranoia pervades daily life in the DC area, until I go somewhere else for awhile- I swear my blood pressure immediately drops when I leave. No, I did not get the pedals back- the first time they said I could, then they somehow got lost- "we try but are not responsible yadda yadda..." The second time, I ran out of time to fill out the paperwork because the damn security line was so long (nearly 2 hours!) and I had to run to the gate. They're probably in the famous room of dangerous confiscated items at the Dulles security offices.

BumbleBeeDave
03-29-2013, 08:02 AM
. . . one each in ziplocs and then inside each shoe so I can explain what they're for. But I made sure to take my oldest, scuzziest pair fo KEO's just in case.

I can see how Eggbeaters might not even look like pedals to them, especially if they are not actually with the shoes.

BBD

Bob Ross
03-29-2013, 08:20 AM
Heading for a bike trip on Hawaii tomorrow

Wait, what? So am I!

Where are you riding?

Fiertetimestwo
03-29-2013, 05:10 PM
+1.

After carrying Speedplays through TSA at SFO nearly resulted in a cavity search, I now take them out. Everything's cool.

So, where exactly were you carrying these pedals?:eek:

dogdriver
03-29-2013, 05:56 PM
I've travelled for years with shoes, pedals, and a seat kit including a multi-tool with no problem...

maunahaole
03-29-2013, 06:35 PM
Wait, what? So am I!

Where are you riding?

More importantly - where are you eating?

Nags&Ducs
03-30-2013, 11:53 AM
I don't think that is right. Tools are ok as long as they are less than a certain length. Think it is 7" or less. Now, sharp tools are a different matter. But tsa recently allowed box cutters in carry ons.

cash05458
03-30-2013, 04:45 PM
how on earth can they have a problem with pedals> not sure I get it...what on earth could be the problem with flying with pedals? Can anyone explain the logic...just curious...

Bruce K
03-30-2013, 04:59 PM
Ignorance and/or power trips

"You can't take them because I don't know what they are" or "You can't take them because I said so"

They're not a weapon and they're not a tool. They're not specifically banned

BK

saab2000
03-30-2013, 05:04 PM
Ignorance and/or power trips

"You can't take them because I don't know what they are" or "You can't take them because I said so"

They're not a weapon and they're not a tool. They're not specifically banned

BK

Try telling that to an 'agent' of the Tee Ess Ay. They make rules up as they go along and you cannot win a tie. Best practice is to check everything you don't need on board.

TSA is a national embarrassment.

cash05458
03-30-2013, 05:08 PM
Try telling that to an 'agent' of the Tee Ess Ay. They make rules up as they go along and you cannot win a tie. Best practice is to check everything you don't need on board.

TSA is a national embarrassment.

not to turn this into a poli thing...but the original idea was to make us so over afraid and panicky that we would rot from within given our own nature as Americans...hearing stuff like this makes you see that was a pretty good plan...

Louis
03-30-2013, 05:13 PM
They make rules up as they go along

I agree, it all seems so arbitrary, which is super frustrating.

On the other hand, it's impossible to create comprehensive lists of banned vs OK items, so you have to rely on the agent's judgment, and it's so much safer and easier for them to say "No."

You can't really expect each and every one out there to have the exact same inclination to figure out what this or that weird looking piece of hardware really is:

"Trust me on this, it's a bicycle pedal. It might not look like any bicycle pedal you've ever seen, but that's what it is. Trust me." You can't expect that to work 100% of the time.

saab2000
03-30-2013, 05:15 PM
not to turn this into a poli thing...but the original idea was to make us so over afraid and panicky that we would rot from within given our own nature as Americans...hearing stuff like this makes you see that was a pretty good plan...

It's not political for me either. But I go through TSA checkpoints several times per day at my job and they never fail to amaze me.

The ones I've run into abroad are generally far more professional and better trained and don't see themselves as a police force. They are baggage screeners and nothing more but they continually try to exert and grab for more authority than they are granted or were intended to ever have. Badges, ear piece radios, 'patrols' in the gate areas, etc.

I want safety and security, not a joke fake police force. That's what we have real police for.

Standing down off my soap box now.....

Go for a ride!

cash05458
03-30-2013, 05:23 PM
It's not political for me either. But I go through TSA checkpoints several times per day at my job and they never fail to amaze me.

The ones I've run into abroad are generally far more professional and better trained and don't see themselves as a police force. They are baggage screeners and nothing more but they continually try to exert and grab for more authority than they are granted or were intended to ever have. Badges, ear piece radios, 'patrols' in the gate areas, etc.

I want safety and security, not a joke fake police force. That's what we have real police for.

Standing down off my soap box now.....

Go for a ride!

funny thing is that I have a buddy who worked at a government job and who would run fake bombs thru airports...he did this everyday at airport after airport thru countless checkpoints everyday...these were almost felix the cat sorta cartoon fake bombs with gigantic tnt shapes and big handed clocks you could see from a mile away if you were looking even in the slightest at the xray crap...their fail rate was frankly unbelievable...like over 85 percent...and gosh, it never made the news...egg beater pedals? huh...

Bruce K
03-30-2013, 05:23 PM
I've never felt the need but I wonder how it would be received if you clipped them to your shoes to start with

Again, I've never had an issue and traveled with enough stuff to rent if my bike bag got list for a day or two

BK

MattTuck
03-30-2013, 05:25 PM
Never had an issue with pedals

I always carry on my helmet, pedals, shoes, and one full kit in case the bike or suitcase gets detoured

BK

Learned this from a friend of mine who I went on a ski trip with. In your carry on, bring your boots and a minimum wardrobe to ski just in case your other luggage gets lost. You can still rent skis and poles if your other luggage gets lost.

You'd hate for a whole vacation to be ruined by one errant checked bag.

Same for bikes. Carry on your own contact points (pedals, shoes, kit, saddle, helmet) in case the rest of your bike doesn't make it.

jlwdm
03-30-2013, 05:49 PM
6 cm blades on knives are now okay as long as blade is not fixed and does not lock in place.

I have accidentally taken bottles of water thru security twice in the last 6 months - not detected either time.

In foreign countries the process is so much more efficient. Even in countries like Morocco where they search everyone - men in one line and women in another.

Jeff