PDA

View Full Version : Calfee Dragonfly vs. Tetra Pro

Spinsistah
11-19-2005, 08:33 PM
How would you compare the Dragonfly Pro vs. the Tetra Pro? Pros and cons?

rnhood
11-19-2005, 09:13 PM
The Tetra Pro is very stiff, but very quiet and refined feeling. The moment your foot pushes the pedal the bike just effortlessly takes off. It is especially nice in the hills of SW Virgina. You likely will need to drop the tire pressure a bit to soften the ride due to the overall stiffness - especially on rougher roads. I have not ridden the Dragonfly but, it appears to be similar, just lighter. Not sure why they wanted a lighter bike though because the Tetra seems plenty light enough.

Saxon
11-19-2005, 09:16 PM
D'Fly: Pros-Lighter with Boron in the tubes for added toughness (so they say). Cons-Price, may be difficult to repair.
Tetra: Pros- Easy to repair, Easy to customize geometry, Historic TDF bike. Cons-Not as light as the D'fly, Not the latest thing.
They're constructed differently and each has it's own look. The Tetra is the seamless laminated gussets (or handwrapped lugs) and the Dragonfly has the molded carbon lugs. Both are beautiful bikes as is the Luna.

Bruce
11-19-2005, 09:25 PM
I have ridden both, but the Tetra only once. I bought the DFly. They ride very much the same. As does the Luna. All are excellent bikes. As for the repairability, they are all repairable and for very reasonable costs. The basic difference is weight. Less weight, more cost. I decided to go with the DFly since I buy a bike every 10 years whether I need one or not, and I wanted to get the weight down as much as physically possible. I dropped about 8lbs from the previous bike (the weight of a common red brick), and please hand the next person who says weight does not matter a red brick. Tell them to put it in the rear center pocket and that you will wait for them at the top of the climb. It makes a difference.

You can't go wrong with a Calfee.

Saxon
11-19-2005, 09:35 PM
Hi Bruce,
Didn't mean to say the D'Fly couldn't be repaired. It just costs more money to do it (usually) because of the need to remold the head tube or seat cluster when repairing main tubes.
Rich

Sandy
11-19-2005, 09:47 PM
I have ridden both, but the Tetra only once. I bought the DFly. They ride very much the same. As does the Luna. All are excellent bikes. As for the repairability, they are all repairable and for very reasonable costs. The basic difference is weight. Less weight, more cost. I decided to go with the DFly since I buy a bike every 10 years whether I need one or not, and I wanted to get the weight down as much as physically possible. I dropped about 8lbs from the previous bike (the weight of a common red brick), and please hand the next person who says weight does not matter a red brick. Tell them to put it in the rear center pocket and that you will wait for them at the top of the climb. It makes a difference.

You can't go wrong with a Calfee.

You would be wating for me at the top of the climb if you were carrying a red brick house up the climb. :) :)

Sandy

vaxn8r
11-19-2005, 10:34 PM
How would you compare the Dragonfly Pro vs. the Tetra Pro? Pros and cons?
Are you thinking about a Calfee now?

All three Calfees are designed to ride and feel the same. Some claim they can tell the difference between the TP and the DF but Craig Calfee told me personally he couldn't and that's how he meant it to be.

On average the DF is about 8 oz lighter than a TP and the Luna typically weighs in another more 4oz on top of the TP. The Luna and DF are lugged. The DF now has the sculpted lugs which are pretty cool looking. The Dfly comes at a premium $ but I think it's still about the price of a non ST Legend. The Luna uses AL in the HT and BB inserts and is not customizable like the other two.

Pros. These are amazing bikes. Perfect combination of stiffness and efficiency and comfort. The TP is still the best bike I've ever owned or ridden.

Cons. I haven't found any. I've heard some feel they handle too fast but maybe they aren't used to light bikes because the geometry is pretty standard for a race bike.

I prefer the non-lug look of the TP and since I'm not a lightweight myself I couldn't see paying a grand to drop a half pound. If you want and need the best and latest get a DF. If you want a tried and proven design that has the perfect ride nailed maybe a TP is the one. Craigs been doing this for about 17-18 years so, like Ben, he's got a solid business, a great set of bikes, great service etc.

Saxon
11-19-2005, 11:30 PM
Just wanted to add that I've been down to the Calfee Factory twice and they're a great bunch of folks.

Sandy
11-20-2005, 06:23 AM
I went on a ride last weekend at which there was a Calfee Tetra Tandem. It was beautiful. I think that the owner might even have another Calfee tandem on order.

Calfee Bamboo bikes are really unique and surprisingly attractive, at least they appear so in pictures. I guess it is the only bike that can be custom made, is totally unique, and which you can grow its tubes. Great concept.

Kevan owns a Luna Calfee. I'm not sure what that means...... :)

Sandy

DfCas
11-20-2005, 07:23 AM
Although you didn't ask,I'll include the Luna in the comparison.All 3 share the same stock geometry and all 3 share the same rear triangle,except the D'fly has its dropouts relieved more.The Luna and Dragonfly in stock geo use premade lugs and aluminum inserts in the headtube and BB.The Luna is not available in custom.Custom D'fly's may use some hand wrapped joints,depending on the angles/geo needed.

The Tetra always uses a Ti BB shell,and the small sizes use a ti head tube insert.The larger sizes use an aluminum headtube insert to save weight,and all Tetras stock or custom,get hand wrapped joints to create the seamless look.

If you order a frame,stock or custom,tubesets in all can be chosen by Calfee to suit your weight/stiffness preferences at little or no upcharge.

I'm sure you are aware of the Calfee site hosted by Kahuna,but here is a link.
http://www.bikefanclub.com/forum/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/calfee

There may be some posters there who own both-I know one who has a Luna and a Dragonfly.

Hope this helps,

dan

Kevan
11-20-2005, 07:34 AM
maybe I can help.

Bruce and I have swapped bikes on a couple occasions, I think there might be a 1/4 inch difference in saddle adjustment, so we both have a feel for the Luna vs. D'fly. On my first try, Bruce had his Lew's (cf tubular wheelset) installed on his fly and that bike was remarkable. Super light and very plush feeling. A year or so later I tried his bike with Topo's and the bike felt just the same as mine for all that I could tell. My short try of a Tetra exhibited the same feel.

Bruce is right, it's a weight game with Calfee's. They all ride the same, just the weight and cost comes into play.

Bruce
11-20-2005, 03:29 PM
If you do decide to go with a DFly, please be true to the bike and get light weight everything. If you are not a weight freak, then get the Tetra. Or if you are on a budget, get the Luna. You can't go wrong on either. Also you should consider nude carbon. Nude is not clearcoat the most builders use, but actually no paint at all. Downside is you need to apply sunscreen every so often, upside is less weight and way high coolness factor.

gasman
11-20-2005, 06:10 PM
I think everyone has covered this topic well but in the spirit of the forum I'll cover it ad nauseum. Craig says all the bikes ride the same and that has been my experience. I bought the Tetra last year because it was a floor model, it was just my size and I don't need custom and I loved the color- a red fade that really pops in the sun.
I absolutely love the ride. My Cannondale feels "harsh" to me with the same saddle and wheels.The same setup and my Litespeed feels "plush" and tends to whip a bit if I stomp on it or when climbing. The Calfee feels very comfortable but very responsive to any input. It is my "just right" bike. A stock 58 it weighs 16.2 lbs with pedals which is plenty light for my 170 lbs.