PDA

View Full Version : stem raising

mfb1001
03-01-2004, 01:46 PM
I know this has been mentioned b/4. I'm looking to raise my stem around 1cm. I've got a Salsa stem now, everything seems to fit ok, but I find myself putting alot a pressure on my shoulders. The bars are about 1cm lower then the seat (I'm not a racer) and the current fork is a Winwood (John Lee).

John Lee Carbon Road Fork

Aluminum steerer and crown bonded to carbon fork blades
Blade cross section is 46.5mm x 20.5mm tapering to 16mm round at the dropouts
Blade length, A*=365mm
B*=10.5mm
Rake 43mm
Tire clearance is 700 x 28c
Carbon weave fades to black at the crown and dropouts
Sizes available: 1" and 1-1/8" threadless
564g for 1", 600g for 1-1/8"
Steerer length 300mm

What do I need to raise it. I'm tempted to replace the fork and put in a treaded fork (if possible). Any suggestions.:confused:

Thanks
mike

Smiley
03-01-2004, 05:04 PM
You did not leave a token cm or two above the stem when they cut the steerer tube did you. So you now need to get a higher rise stem . Or flip they one your using if it has a negative rise. Salsa stock ahead stems are in 90 degree and 105 degree and they also make a 115 degree ahead stem. You could get up by 1 cm by going from a 90 degree to a + 6 degree by Ritchey as an example or a + 10 degree will get you up an extra 7 mm above a + 6 degree stem. So what are you using now and I'll graph it for you so you don't have to guess.

mfb1001
03-02-2004, 05:27 AM
Thanks Smiley for the help.
Salsa Moto Stem
100mm cc
rise is 11 or 20 degree (not sure on this) I believe it's a 11.
2.5cm below the stem now

When I bought the bike the LBS was trying to fit it to me, but I should have asked to give me some extra room. Don't ride that offten, and spend tomuch time behind a desk. Someone ordered the frame (legend) and backed off. I like it for it's rapid tour ~ geo. Appreciate the help.

mike