PDA

View Full Version : query: 4mm shift housing & ferrules w/ 5mm stops?

wallymann
03-28-2013, 05:59 PM
so i fitted up some 4mm jagwire shift housing and aftermarket ferrules, but my frame's cable-stops are intended for 5mm kit. this affects the shift-housing stops on the frame by the head-tube, on the chainstay, on the rear mech, even inside the ergo-lever bodies...they're all designed for 4mm housing/ferrules. when i set the 4mm ferrules in place, there seemed to be alot of slop.

not liking the slop, i nested the 4mm ferrules inside of a 5mm ferrule -- doubled-up to take out the slop. it works, but it's a bit kludgy yet i dont see a way around it.

is there some sort of "step-up" ferrule that lets me use commonly available 4mm shift-housing and still fits properly into stops designed for 5mm housing?

maunahaole
03-28-2013, 06:19 PM
Maybe a 4.5mm ferrule? Jagwire makes them. In lots of colors.

cmbicycles
03-28-2013, 09:28 PM
4mm and 5mm ferrules should have the same O.D. So you should not be able to fit a 4 inside a 5. Are you using plastic or metal 4mm ferrules?

I have seen some wacky plastic ferrules that have a slight lip at the end, which have some special purpose that eludes me at this hour, that are slightly undersized and would fit the situation you describe. Those arent what you should be using, but I dont know if jagwire includes those in their kits or not. Check that you have the right 4mm ferrules, or stop by your lbs and pick up some different ones to try.

Ssalmon
03-28-2013, 09:36 PM
There are some 4mm ferrules, but they are rare and I wouldn't expect jagwire to send them with a kit. Hey should be 4mm I.D and 5mm O.D. I think the 4mm ones are used on some internal routing, and inline Barr,e adjusters.

wallymann
03-29-2013, 05:24 AM
4mm and 5mm ferrules should have the same O.D. So you should not be able to fit a 4 inside a 5. Are you using plastic or metal 4mm ferrules?

these metal 4mm fit very snugly on the 4mm housing and slide right inside my metal 5mm ferrules.

oldpotatoe
03-29-2013, 06:04 AM
so i fitted up some 4mm jagwire shift housing and ferrules, but my frame's cable-stops are intended for 5mm kit. this affects the shift-housing stops on the frame by the head-tube, on the chainstay, on the rear mech, even inside the ergo-lever bodies...they're all designed for 4mm housing/ferrules. when i set the 4mm ferrules in place, there seemed to be alot of slop.

not liking the slop, i nested the 4mm ferrules inside of a 5mm ferrule -- doubled-up to take out the slop. it works, but it's a bit kludgy yet i dont see a way around it.

is there some sort of "step-up" ferrule that lets me use commonly available 4mm shift-housing and still fits properly into stops designed for 5mm housing?

Wheels makes brass 4mm ferrules. with the same OD as 5mm ferrules.

wallymann
03-29-2013, 12:12 PM
thx peter...picked some up today!

Wheels makes brass 4mm ferrules. with the same OD as 5mm ferrules.

ericssonboi
03-29-2013, 12:26 PM
Jenson USA carries them, ordered them before

http://www.jensonusa.com/Wheels-MFG-Step-Down-Ferrules

wallymann
03-29-2013, 01:03 PM
IIRC thats a different kind of step-down ferrule, mainly for brazed-on chainstay cablestops. the step-down for these is smaller than 4mm.

Jenson USA carries them, ordered them before

http://www.jensonusa.com/Wheels-MFG-Step-Down-Ferrules