PDA

View Full Version : Brake Dilemma

sevencyclist
03-28-2013, 03:54 PM
I have Magura MT6 disc brakes on my MTB that has worked well for the past year. However, last week, Magura issued an immediate recall of my brakes. I would need to return the brakes and they would send back repaired or replacement.

I have called Magura, and they noted that the issue was due to loss power from loss of hydraulic master cylinder pressure in "extreme cold weathers". I live in Bay Area and nowhere near freezing expected between now and race.

My dilemma is that I am preparing for a 24 Hours Solo MTB race Memorial Day weekend. Having no brakes means no MTB riding for however long it takes for the brakes to turnaround and be reinstalled. I am debating whether to put off the "immediate recall" until after the race vs getting it done. Don't know the realistic turnaround time in this type of scenario, and also losing out training on the dirt. Have roadbike, but that is a little different. Any thoughts?

Here is their press release about this. http://www.magura.com/index.php?eID=tx_nawsecuredl&u=0&file=fileadmin/user_upload/bikecomp/Images/austauschaktion/2013-02-28_PressRelease_replacement_MT6_MT8_english.pdf&t=1364598907&hash=ca3923df2856bb927e9f26d2f0ec86819617efa9

christian
03-28-2013, 04:11 PM
Given the litigious nature of the US, I would recommend you send them back immediately.

But I know what I would do....

A1CKot
03-28-2013, 04:29 PM
Why not just pick up some BB7s while the brakes are at Magura. Pick them up used and just resell them after you get the replacement brakes. Or, I'm sure some one has a set just sitting around as a back up. Some beer and the promise to give them back would keep you riding. Maybe not ideal but you will still be riding the same bike.

nmrt
03-28-2013, 04:36 PM
I mailed my MT8 last Tuesday (03/19) to Magura USA in Illinois. Received the replacement yesterday (03/27).
Eight days turnaround time.

Also, i would send it ASAP because I never lost brakes while riding even though I rode in 32F. But because the brakes would just lose power hanging in the bike rack. There is something really messed up with them. Get them fixed.

crownjewelwl
03-28-2013, 04:42 PM
My mt8s failed this winter BEFORE the official recall...it was kinda scary but luckily I am slow

Magura is pretty good with customer service...you should ask your lbs to ask them to send you new master cylinders...that way it is a simple swap and bleed at your shop and you're not without brakes for a long time...that's what I did

Good luck!!

FWIW it was 15 degrees outside when they failed

Also even properly bled the old ones were a bit sloppy...now they're perfect

AngryScientist
03-28-2013, 05:01 PM
you sir, need a back-up mtb.

Jack Brunk
03-28-2013, 05:11 PM
Have them check your serial number. There was a list of serial numbers posted on line somewhere but I don't remember where. Yours may not be on the recall list.

sevencyclist
03-28-2013, 05:31 PM
Have them check your serial number. There was a list of serial numbers posted on line somewhere but I don't remember where. Yours may not be on the recall list.
That is correct. Those made before 5/31/2012 suffers from this problem, and those made after 6/1/2012 are not being recalled. Unfortunately mine was made in 2011, so fell into the recall range.

Thank nmrt. Good to know that the turnaround was within 2 weeks.

Wow crownjewel! I am glad you did not have an adverse crash event. I think I will have my LBS who is a dealer (Passion Trail Bikes) help me with taking them off and sending it and then reinstall.

sevencyclist
03-28-2013, 05:35 PM
you sir, need a back-up mtb.
This would be a perfect excuse: Honey, I need a new bike because the current one is unsafe! ;)

Too bad the new Serotta does not do MTB anymore. Bedford, Zanconato, or Strong would not make it in time for May race.