PDA

View Full Version : Pump for traveling with Break-Away

FuelForThought
03-28-2013, 02:13 PM
To all pump and/or BAB gurus:

I have just bought a Ritchey break-away and will travel with it in a couple of weeks to Tuscany. Being paranoid, I am starting to get nightmares that something will go wrong and I will end up in a remote area of Italy without a rideable bike. Reading reviews of pumps did not appease my fears.

I am considering the following options:

1- Topeak Road Morph G. Does it really go up to 110 psi? Lots of plastic parts=> reliability?

2- Lezyne HP Micro Floor Drive. More shiny metal parts than the topeak. Early models had issues. Fewer reviews available.

3- Topeak Mega Morph (portable floor pump, stays in the bag) + Lezyne Road Drive (goes on the bike). Belt & suspenders approach. I have a Lezyne Road drive and was able to inflate tires to 100 psi with it.

What do all of you with travel bikes use?

Thanks,
Max

gavingould
03-28-2013, 02:29 PM
i don't have a travel bike, but when i carry a pump it's the Topeak Road Morph G. it's been kicking around in my bag/car/closet for a few years and still pumps up tires just fine. might take a while an tired arms to get to 110, but it can get there.

moose8
03-28-2013, 02:38 PM
I've had a topeak master blaster that has worked fine for years - takes forever to pump up and occasionally it kills my knuckles but always gets the job done. I'd be surprised if any of the ones you mentioned failed, especially if they are new. I would recommend bringing a presta to Schrader converter valve for peace of mind - since that's way more common someone in any area will have one - like a gas station.

fiamme red
03-28-2013, 02:48 PM
I'd go with the Road Morph. Inflation is easy (it opens up like a small floor pump) and there's even a pressure gauge.

93legendti
03-28-2013, 07:37 PM
i don't have a travel bike, but when i carry a pump it's the Topeak Road Morph G. it's been kicking around in my bag/car/closet for a few years and still pumps up tires just fine. might take a while an tired arms to get to 110, but it can get there.

I've used the Topeak with my Bike Fridays on 7 trips over the last 5 years. Works great.

Louis
03-28-2013, 07:45 PM
To quote what I posted a while back:

I carry my Lezyne Road drive (Med = 10.2" long, 96g) in my middle jersey pocket. Never even notice it.

I really like this pump - both the design and build quality are second to none. The detachable hose feature is really cool.

You don't have to buy one of these, but you owe it to yourself to at least check it out.

(PS I'm not a shareholder, just a happy customer.)

572cv
03-28-2013, 08:02 PM
We travel with coupled bikes. I bring a lezyne hp micro floor drive because it is light, tiny, and inflates everyone's tires quickly, and has a built-in pressure gauge. That is key. On the bikes, while riding, I carry the usual little pump for emergencies.
This has been a satisfactory arrangement, and the micro floor drive is go-to for everyone.

zennmotion
03-28-2013, 08:18 PM
I've had a topeak master blaster that has worked fine for years - takes forever to pump up and occasionally it kills my knuckles but always gets the job done. I'd be surprised if any of the ones you mentioned failed, especially if they are new. I would recommend bringing a presta to Schrader converter valve for peace of mind - since that's way more common someone in any area will have one - like a gas station.

I use my master blaster with my breakaway for long trips, no need for a floor pump at all, I really don't understand the problem with the knuckles or "takes forever", as mine barely takes more time than a floor pump. I'd estimate about 70 strokes to get a 28c tire to a comfortable 80-90psi. 1 minute, tops, no fuss. Great pump. You can mount it under the top tube with a velcro strap wrapped around near the head tube- quite secure (both the size L works on my 56cm and size XL is a tight, even more secure fit). I'm not with the breakaway now to take a picture, but I also made a custom mount for my breakaway underneath the non-drive seat stay by replacing the lower of the two seat post bolts with a longer bolt and attaching a little L shaped bracket with a nut to hold the handle end of the pump, with the head of the pump wedged at the intersection of the seat stay and chainstay- very neat, secure and out of the way. Seriously, any of the good full size frame pumps are reliable and can easily and quickly get your road tires up to full pressure. Without bloody knuckles- with a proper frame pump you should be able to replace a tube, pump it to full pressure and replace the wheel in the dropout in less time than it takes your buddies to inhale a power bar by the side of the road. Not rocket science.

tiretrax
03-28-2013, 09:16 PM
The small Lezyne mini pump is what I carry every time I ride. It's on sale at Competitive Cyclist for $22.50. I am thinking about getting another just because it's so great.

UberBike
03-28-2013, 09:41 PM
I like the Topeak Morphs.
But if you need something more classy looking the Lezyne pumps work very well and are beautifully made.
They also have a mini floor pump that comes with a frame mount.

AngryScientist
03-29-2013, 05:09 AM
you're going to Tuscany?

Bring a mini pump to get just enough air in your tires to get you to a bike shop, good excuse to chat with the locals, and ask about the best places to ride.

moose8
03-29-2013, 05:42 AM
I really don't understand the problem with the knuckles or "takes forever", as mine barely takes more time than a floor pump. ...Without bloody knuckles- with a proper frame pump you should be able to replace a tube, pump it to full pressure and replace the wheel in the dropout in less time than it takes your buddies to inhale a power bar by the side of the road. Not rocket science.

I am certainly not a rocket scientist, but I would point out that "master blaster" essentially appears to be topeak's generic term for pump, which I didn't realize when I posted, so I think maybe we are talking about different pumps. Looking at mine, it says it's a master blaster harpoon - it's got a kind of pointless "trigger" on it. It is from 2002, as I remember purchasing it to bring with me to live in Belgium (which really is an awesome place to ride btw). Having used my friend's morph, that is a much better pump.

To the OP, if size isn't too much of a concern, if I were buying a pump today I would get one that has a flexible hose on the end just because it makes it way easier to deal with, at least for me.

Steve in SLO
03-29-2013, 06:32 AM
If you're thinking about a Lezyne, try using one to air up a tire to 90-100psi...I found the handle to be very uncomfortable. I now use a Topeak

cp43
03-29-2013, 07:14 AM
I am certainly not a rocket scientist, but I would point out that "master blaster" essentially appears to be topeak's generic term for pump, which I didn't realize when I posted, so I think maybe we are talking about different pumps. Looking at mine, it says it's a master blaster harpoon - it's got a kind of pointless "trigger" on it. It is from 2002, as I remember purchasing it to bring with me to live in Belgium (which really is an awesome place to ride btw). Having used my friend's morph, that is a much better pump.

To the OP, if size isn't too much of a concern, if I were buying a pump today I would get one that has a flexible hose on the end just because it makes it way easier to deal with, at least for me.

I think the Master Blaster that people are talking about liking is this one:

http://topeak.com/products/Pumps/Road_59-64cm_framesize

I think I have 5 of them, so that I can leave them on different bikes, they're great. As was mentioned though, they're similar to any good quality full size frame pump.

For my recent trip I brought one of those, and the Lezyne travel floor pump. (http://www.lezyne.com/en/products/floor-pumps/high-pressure#!cnc-travel-drive) The Lezyne stayed at the house, and the topeak came with me on every ride.

Chris

Bob Ross
03-29-2013, 08:34 AM
Topeak Road Morph G. Does it really go up to 110 psi? Lots of plastic parts=> reliability?

I've had a coupled travel bike for 2.5 years now, and I just realized that the trip I'm currently packed for (leaving tomorrow 7:00AM) will be the first time I haven't had a full-sized floorpump waiting for me at the destination end! So a Road Morph G better work!

Shouldn't be a problem though: I've had a Road Morph G strapped to all of my bikes for the past 7 years and I've never had a problem getting a tire pumped up to 110psi. It will take you almost exactly 100 strokes.

As far as reliability, I have replaced 2 or 3 of those Road Morphs over the years; the seal around the plunger tends to disintegrate after a few years of riding in wet/dirty conditions and roadside use. So I don't think it would be any worse for wear as your dedicated travel pump, but I would check it thoroughly before packing it when you're vacation-bound.

Lanterne Rouge
03-29-2013, 09:22 AM
To quote what I posted a while back:

I really like this pump - both the design and build quality are second to none. The detachable hose feature is really cool.

You don't have to buy one of these, but you owe it to yourself to at least check it out.

(PS I'm not a shareholder, just a happy customer.)

Yeah a further props for the Lezyne Road Drive. I have to run my tires at the top end of the PSI limit because I weigh a whopping 230lbs. I can get the tires to 110psi if I cup of tea halfway through.

bluesea
03-29-2013, 09:46 AM
The Lezyne Steel Travel Drive looks pretty sweet with its 20" height.

lukasz
03-29-2013, 09:50 AM
Get a frame pump.

If you want classy: http://www.zefal.com/en/traditional-pumps/109-hpx-classic.html

Blackburn used to make a nice carbon-wrapped one for black bikes.

Can't go wrong with the Topeak.

Having said that, this year I might go for a Topeak road morph (in the suitcase) and a Lezyne road drive (in my pocket). Maybe.

Bob Ross: did you take off the cranks? ;)

Bob Ross
03-29-2013, 12:53 PM
Bob Ross: did you take off the cranks? ;)

Absolutely! Believe me, I've tried getting that frame to fit w/ cranks intact, and it just ain't gonna happen.

FuelForThought
03-29-2013, 04:57 PM
Get a frame pump.

If you want classy: http://www.zefal.com/en/traditional-pumps/109-hpx-classic.html

Thanks everyone for all the replies. Road Morph G seems to get the majority of votes. But my heart told me to get the Zefal. Made in France, rebuildable, dependable.

I have the Lezyne Road Drive on my other bike and like it very much but for the travel bike, I am going for 100% reliability.