PDA

View Full Version : OT: Anyone in LA want to catch Fleetwood Mac?

slidey
03-28-2013, 12:26 PM
I'm a big fan of their music, but can't quite seem to find company to go along to the show. They're kinda expensive I think, but I'm a big fan so if per chance you're going or were planning to go, get in touch with me.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/Fleetwood-Mac-tickets/artist/735087

Leaning towards the May 25th date, but might consider the July 3rd one as well...but, not stuck on either.

\m/ http://youtu.be/wgmRb3MlpHQ \m/

BumbleBeeDave
03-28-2013, 12:54 PM
. . . catching them. I think they're all using walkers now. ;)

BBD

rice rocket
03-28-2013, 01:10 PM
. . . catching them. I think they're all using walkers now. ;)

BBD

http://topgear.wikia.com/wiki/Star_in_a_Reasonably-Priced_car#Kia_Cee.27d_Leaderboard

Mick is still quick!

binxnyrwarrsoul
03-28-2013, 01:13 PM
Rumors is part of the soundtrack of my youth. To this day, Nicks still brings it.

dd74
03-28-2013, 01:13 PM
Yeah, and Stevie still looks cute to me. (and Mr. Banana) :banana:

William
03-28-2013, 01:14 PM
I saw them a number of years ago. Very good show...and loud!

William

jlwdm
03-28-2013, 02:01 PM
I refuse to recognize this later pop group called Fleetwood Mac.

To me the only Fleetwood Mac was a great blues band formed out of John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers. Peter Green replaced Eric Clapton on guitar and the Bluesbreakers ended up being Mayall, Green, Fleetwood and John McVie.

They then formed Fleetwood Mac without Mayall and at first without McVie even though "Mac" referred to McVie. Subsequently added McVie and over time two great guitarists, Jeremy Spencer and Danny Kirwan.

I saw them twice in the late 1960s at Eagles auditorium in Seattle. Fantastic performances in the days of small venues with no seats. Heard Cream at Eagles Auditorium in 1968 or 1969? also.

Never understood how Fleetwood Mac morphed into the current group.

Take a listen to Hard Road by John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers to appreciate the kind of music they played.

Jeff

malcolm
03-28-2013, 02:45 PM
Saw the sorta reunion of the blues breakers in boutwell arena in hawaii in the late '70s or early '80s with mick taylor doing the guitar work, incredible.

Fleetwood Mac has historically put on a good show all are good musicians.

fuzzalow
03-28-2013, 03:44 PM
I refuse to recognize this later pop group called Fleetwood Mac.

Two different bands for two different eras. Peter Green and Lindsey Buckingham are both fantastically gifted guitarists.

Even towards the end of FM phase 1, the British electric blues guitar phenomenon had run its course. Peter Green was certainly not aspiring to or capable of the responsibility of fronting FM into the post Cream/Yardbirds era. Mayall never left but was not a frontman. Jimmy Page stayed the path for only 1 album with LZ1. Clapton partnered with Duane & American blues for 1 recording of inspired magic and then disappeared for a decade.

Both Buckingham & Nicks are good songsmiths. I'd agree that they are both getting mileage out of the FM brand, which isn't really modern FM sans Ms. McVie. But IMO they are entitled to do it as they both made music from the old days when it was not simply a retread of last years autotune file. Nicks real loss from them not doing FM full time is not having Buckingham as producer.

slidey
03-28-2013, 06:58 PM
Jlwdm: Musical preferences aren't a matter of fact, only opinion. To me, Stevie Nicks is the quintessential female rock legend. So thanks for the pointer to the old times, but no thanks for your opinions on the band.

Come on LA people...there's gots to be someone here who is going to see them, we might also be able to catch them :hello:

ultraman6970
03-28-2013, 07:16 PM
Fleetwood mac?? hmm... south park episode when they sent the goat to pakistan comes to mind :D

pdmtong
03-28-2013, 07:20 PM
A friend took me a few years ago. I have to say, it was very weird hearing Stevie sing the Christie songs. Not like the shows way back when.

Not to mention that Lindsey and Stevie went to high school in our district.

jlwdm
03-28-2013, 07:24 PM
Jlwdm: Musical preferences aren't a matter of fact, only opinion. To me, Stevie Nicks is the quintessential female rock legend. So thanks for the pointer to the old times, but no thanks for your opinions on the band.

:

No thanks to yours either.

Jeff

Louis
03-28-2013, 07:36 PM
To me, Stevie Nicks is the quintessential female rock legend.

For me that's Janis Joplin.

slidey
03-28-2013, 07:42 PM
Have to admit, haven't heard much of JJ so my made-up sobriquet is only valid till I discover something else. Do send some reco's to get started on.

For me that's Janis Joplin.

Louis
03-28-2013, 07:48 PM
Piece Of My Heart (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uG2gYE5KOs)

Janis Joplin Monterey Pop Festival 1967 ("Ball and Chain") (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5If816MhoU)

With her Porsche 356

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-NcUydJezmc8/TwcCvBlPCnI/AAAAAAAAFmw/mL8yZ2nrWRo/s1600/090606-janis-joplin-porsche.jpg

fuzzalow
03-28-2013, 08:39 PM
Have to admit, haven't heard much of JJ so my made-up sobriquet is only valid till I discover something else. Do send some reco's to get started on.

Janis Joplin was IMO as much celebrated for her archetype as the hard driving rocker woman as for her actual music. Bette Midler in The Rose. Pearl was posthumously released and a shame there was to be no more tape in the can.

Joplin, Peter Green, Jimi, Morrison. All lasted less than a decade. The entire career of the Beatles just slightly more than that. (Yes PG is still kicking but didn't make more than 6-7 years with FM after being messed by LSD).

Easy to find music that you like when it is a part of a part of your youth and the time prism is 5 years when an artist is at their creative best. Doesn't mean everything else is rubbish. Mick & Keith could never again write something as iconic as Gimme Shelter.

Women rockers? Chrissie Hynde. Not always as intense as Pretenders I and II, but an excellent catalog. Easily rivals Ms. Nicks musical catalog. Both great artists that both made something lasting at some point in their careers. And just like Mick & Keith, that achievement earns a pass for the rest of the way.

I'm pretty secure that this type of conversation could not possibly happen concerning Beyonce's product 20 years hence. Not to pick on Beyonce but after what I saw during the SuperBowl, I wouldn't call that music. It was an extravaganza of celebrity image. Is that what passes for music these days?

Louis
03-28-2013, 08:44 PM
Random additional comment - I also like Natalie Merchant.

slidey
03-28-2013, 09:01 PM
I just heard these two songs, and I now recall why I haven't heard more of JJ. I had previously heard "Piece of my heart" and like it as well, but I find the "Ball and Chain" a bit too intense, soul-wrenching is what I'd describe it as. That, and so much raspy voice kind of ruins it for me...but, I completely understand the problem in transmitting the song's emotion when delivered through soft-spoken, melodious words/music. In other words, I've found in the past that although some music might be dripping with artistic excellence it slightly jars my peace of mind, and/or pricks my conscience...which is what I guess the artists were going for, but unfortunately that is the last thing I need. What I'm looking for from music - well, that's quite another thread but suffice to say that Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac (specifically Robert Plant, and Stevie Nicks vocals) hit the spot consistently.

Piece Of My Heart (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uG2gYE5KOs)

Janis Joplin Monterey Pop Festival 1967 ("Ball and Chain") (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5If816MhoU)

slidey
03-28-2013, 09:23 PM
Yeah, I see your point very well. However, I made that assessment to award my made-up sobriquet to Stevie Nicks mainly after hearing her perform songs up to a couple of years back, and finding that her voice still strikes a very similar chord in me as did her voice on Rumours! I mean across 30+ years, and her voice is still as powerful to me and that's a good enough testament to timelessness if anything.

As for Stones, I love their work dearly...and its true that many feel that they've outstayed their welcome, but they are at least still making music, and I for one really like some of their newer stuff too like Streets of Love, A Dangerous Beauty, etc. So there are some artists who use their initial pass, stay on, and keep contributing good, if not super-awesome music, effectively prolonging their shelf-life and spanning generations. What's more I am not one for the cover bands, and as long as the original band is still touring it postpones some scheming knock-off from coalescing.

But man oh man, Beyonce...well, I'll say this much - she definitely ranks higher in my books than a certain unhinged, obnoxious, mic-toting, female provocateur :cool:

Janis Joplin was IMO as much celebrated for her archetype as the hard driving rocker woman as for her actual music. Bette Midler in The Rose. Pearl was posthumously released and a shame there was to be no more tape in the can.

Joplin, Peter Green, Jimi, Morrison. All lasted less than a decade. The entire career of the Beatles just slightly more than that. (Yes PG is still kicking but didn't make more than 6-7 years with FM after being messed by LSD).

Easy to find music that you like when it is a part of a part of your youth and the time prism is 5 years when an artist is at their creative best. Doesn't mean everything else is rubbish. Mick & Keith could never again write something as iconic as Gimme Shelter.

Women rockers? Chrissie Hynde. Not always as intense as Pretenders I and II, but an excellent catalog. Easily rivals Ms. Nicks musical catalog. Both great artists that both made something lasting at some point in their careers. And just like Mick & Keith, that achievement earns a pass for the rest of the way.

I'm pretty secure that this type of conversation could not possibly happen concerning Beyonce's product 20 years hence. Not to pick on Beyonce but after what I saw during the SuperBowl, I wouldn't call that music. It was an extravaganza of celebrity image. Is that what passes for music these days?

beeatnik
03-28-2013, 11:14 PM
Two stories from seeing them a few years ago in Anaheim. From my crappy seats I could see the VIPs being lead backstage. I spotted Mark Cuban pushing his way like an ahole past a kid who turned out to be one of Mick's nieces.

And speaking of Mick, he's a God among drummers to me, but for that last tour they had a second drummer who was playing behind a screen. I could see him because my seats were technically behind the stage.

Another somewhat interesting story. When FM toured in the mid 90s, I had a stalker who wanted to take me to their LA show. She was a high school intern at WB and her boss, a VP, gave her a pair of tickets and use of a company limo. At the time I hated FM and thought they were, um, dad rock. And in fact, I lost interest in the girl not because she was a stalker weirdo but because she was a Fleetwood Mac fan. I am happy to be a grown up now. :rolleyes:

dave thompson
03-28-2013, 11:26 PM
My Janis Joplin story: I worked with a promoter of her concert in Hawaii in the late 60's. We had to meet her at the plane when she came in. Her first words to us were: "Where are the swingin' dicks in this town?" It was downhill from there, but what music at the concert. I was deaf for days afterward.

Louis
03-28-2013, 11:27 PM
for that last tour they had a second drummer who was playing behind a screen. I could see him because my seats where technically behind the stage. Ya they sucked

:eek:

I would lose all respect for any band that did something like this.

Lip-sync is one thing, a hidden drummer is IMO way worse. I suppose some bands play "extra" stuff over the speakers, that too is a rip-off if it's something you used to do live.

beeatnik
03-28-2013, 11:42 PM
Whoa, not sure why I added the sucking comment..Freudian slip or prolly directed at Mark Cuban. Ya, that guy sucks.

The drum parts on some FM songs are pretty intricate so maybe live they need that little extra punch.

Apparently, U2 also uses a 2nd guitarist but in their case the dude isn't even on stage.

fuzzalow
03-29-2013, 05:44 AM
FM considered "dad rock", HaHa, well it sure wasn't as threatening as Appetite for Distruction but it was inventive music. Tusk wasn't well received on release but it has aged well - purely a Buckingham induced leap into the creative maw.

Speaking of drummers - John Bonham was much more than a power rock drummer, he was refined with touch, swing and nuance. I saw LZ @ MSG '75 during the Physical Graffiti tour. Roamed around to the area in the stands behind the stage and it was from there I watched Bonzo play Kashmir. More delicate than one would ever think are the drum parts to that song.

Some bands are now institutions, FM; Aerosmith; Stones, etc. and I have no problem with enjoying their music from whenever golden period from them that happened to intersect with the golden timeframe of my own.