PDA

View Full Version : Bike shops without bike racks?

sparky33
03-28-2013, 09:33 AM
The nearby LBS does not have a bike rack out front, and this is not surprising considering that this particular shop defines uselessness.

Though I noticed that even many of the great bike shops in the area lack bike racks. Lock it to a railing/meter/signpost I guess.

Why don't my local bike shops have bike racks for...uh parking bikes?
How is it where you live?

oldpotatoe
03-28-2013, 09:37 AM
The nearby LBS does not have a bike rack out front, and this is not surprising considering that this particular shop defines uselessness.

Though I noticed that even many of the great bike shops in the area lack bike racks. Lock it to a railing/meter/signpost I guess.

Why don't my local bike shops have bike racks for...uh parking bikes?
How is it where you live?

Maybe because the city doesn't allow private bike racks on public sidewalks, like here in the republic?

Maybe the shop is what you call, "useless", but no shops here have extra, shop supplied racks in front. Not sure I would call all of them useless because of that tho.

mktng
03-28-2013, 09:39 AM
yea the lbs i frequent dont have them either. its not as easy as you think to just have a rack out there. im sure there's a sign post you can lock up..or just bring it into the shop!

BumbleBeeDave
03-28-2013, 09:49 AM
. . . I would just bring my bike inside. Difficult to imagine any LBS staff being clueless enough about customer relations to tell me I can't! :rolleyes:

BBD

christian
03-28-2013, 09:54 AM
You don't bring your bike inside? This seems like complaining there's nowhere you can tie up your dog outside the vet's office?

tiretrax
03-28-2013, 09:59 AM
Outside racks, where they exist, are for display bikes - rentals, sale, etc.

dave thompson
03-28-2013, 10:14 AM
Some shops have them, others don't. It depends on how much room the shop may have if it fronts a sidewalk, like many in metro areas. Plus, as Spud said, there may be laws regarding 'parking' in certain areas.

A shop isn't necessarily "useless" because it doesn't provide bike racks.

Speaking of bike parking and racks, here's a pic I took at a hotel on the Danube in Austria we stayed at several times. It's got at least 50 bike racks that hold close to 20 bikes each!

sc53
03-28-2013, 10:17 AM
Even if my LBS had a bike rack outside, I'd never use it, if I wanted my bike to still be there when I came back out! :butt:

Pete Mckeon
03-28-2013, 10:18 AM
BB dave does it the way i would. If someone leaves outside "do they lock it or who watches it/.

mktng
03-28-2013, 10:19 AM
Yea.. Id think they would be a useless bike store if they refused to let you bring your bike in while you shop :P

csm
03-28-2013, 10:41 AM
Plenty of rack space behind my local shops not much space out front.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

sparky33
03-28-2013, 11:11 AM
Not sure I would call all of them useless because of that tho.
I didn't.

That particular shop I spoke of would still be useless even if it had super valet bike parking. Having a rack or not does not change the fact that this particular shop is the pits. I give a another more useful bike shop all my business... and they don't have a bike rack either.

Seems like no rack is the norm.

Bringing inside.... hassle. I just find a post/fence/tree to lock to.

sparky33
03-28-2013, 11:13 AM
You don't bring your bike inside? This seems like complaining there's nowhere you can tie up your dog outside the vet's office?

I don't ride my dog to the vet, but if I did and he didn't need to go inside I'm sure we both prefer that he not enter the office.

hokoman
03-28-2013, 11:21 AM
I don't carry a lock when I go for ride. If my bike can't follow me where I go on my bike, I come back later via car or on foot. My bike always comes inside, especially when I go to visit a bike shop.

Lewis Moon
03-28-2013, 11:23 AM
. . . I would just bring my bike inside. Difficult to imagine any LBS staff being clueless enough about customer relations to tell me I can't! :rolleyes:

BBD

I had a shop tell me to leave my 'Nago outside once.

THAT was clueless.

William
03-28-2013, 11:24 AM
The shop I frequent has racks on one side, but they're mostly used for bikes being worked on and used bikes for sale. You could use it if there is a slot open but I just take mine inside....they're cool. Small town and no issues with theft I guess.

William

slidey
03-28-2013, 11:29 AM
Marvellous! Are they still in business?

THAT was clueless.

soupless
03-28-2013, 11:45 AM
I'm here to defend the bike shops.

1. It's not as easy as one might think to have a rack installed, at least in NY.
2. That rack immediately gets filled with bikes that belong to local residents, they get trashed, and eventually that rack becomes an eyesore.

BumbleBeeDave
03-28-2013, 11:57 AM

THAT was clueless.

. . . still in business? :crap:

Sounds like they were angling for a bike industry Darwin award.

BBD

sparky33
03-28-2013, 12:40 PM
I'm here to defend the bike shops.

1. It's not as easy as one might think to have a rack installed, at least in NY.
2. That rack immediately gets filled with bikes that belong to local residents, they get trashed, and eventually that rack becomes an eyesore.

When I become king, I will fix these two problems.

William
03-28-2013, 12:43 PM

When I'M king, that, and every Monday will become a Friday!!!:)

William

jpw
03-28-2013, 01:17 PM
one shop i frequent has a rack inside the front door. i never use it because it's too close to.... the front door:rolleyes:

i was recently 'told' by a wet behind the ears eager beaver not to bring my bike any further into the shop than the rack, but i don't speak beaver.

he even got on the phone to his manager upstairs, and this a shop i spend good coinage at. the call ended... and beaver went quiet.

yakstone
03-28-2013, 04:26 PM
i was recently 'told' by a wet behind the ears eager beaver not to bring my bike any further into the shop than the rack, but i don't speak beaver.

he even got on the phone to his manager upstairs, and this a shop i spend good coinage at. the call ended... and beaver went quiet.

Classic!

soupless
03-28-2013, 11:36 PM

I would then be honored to pledge my sword, and my fealty in duty of thee.

idragen
03-28-2013, 11:54 PM
no racks at my LBS either! everyone leaning their bikes against something...

oldpotatoe
03-29-2013, 06:12 AM

THAT was clueless.

Clueless...I get that every once in a while, "can I bring my bike inside?"..

err....bike shop, full of bikes, sure, bring your bike inside.