PDA

View Full Version : Other than materials and price, are there any discernible differences between these?

Nooch
03-28-2013, 07:09 AM
Two pedals that I'm looking at for my commuter:

The XT level M785 (http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/products/pedals/mountain/product.-code-PD-M785.-type-.pd_mountain.html), or the M530 (http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/products/pedals/mountain/product.-code-PD-M530.-type-.pd_mountain.html)?

neither has any additional room for adjustment or anything that I'm not seeing, right? Just different, slightly heavier parts? I can't seem to find tech docs for the XT pedal..

mktng
03-28-2013, 07:37 AM
Dont think there is a difference but the logo.

cmbicycles
03-28-2013, 08:00 AM
Other than materials, meaning the pedal spindle? Both bodies are aluminum, xt just has a bit more machining... and different logos. There is difference in bearing quality, and the 530 has wrench flats if that matters.

mktng
03-28-2013, 08:10 AM
would the bearing quality be that much different?

cmbicycles
03-28-2013, 08:17 AM
You can usually feel it by turning the spindle by hand.

buddybikes
03-28-2013, 02:23 PM
xt has a cleat retention adjuster. Higher end Shimano is built in Japan for what that is worth to you. (sorry not sure about current gen XT)

vqdriver
03-28-2013, 02:34 PM
just from the pic, looks like different spindles, platform "tooth" shaping, and more metal at the cleat/shoe interface.

Oregonic
03-28-2013, 02:53 PM
They have different cover systems where the spindle enters the pedal body. The 530 has the plastic cover system, where the XT has a metal cover with rubber seals inside. I don't know what the difference is as far as actual durability, but I know that if you are planning on overhauling them once in a while, you need to be careful not to overtorque the plastic, and make sure you're tunring them the right way, or they'll crack. Look up a few videos or tutorials on rebuilding these guys (you should be able to find older videos of the XT/XTR/M540 - all have the metal version vs the M520 - the plastic version). Those comparisons are the older versions of what you're looking at.

Oregonic
03-28-2013, 02:57 PM
...and the 530 has wrench flats if that matters...

That's pretty important too - the XT stuff uses a large allen wrench, the 530 uses a pedal wrench (though it may also use an allen wrench - I can't tell without seeing one in person).

ptourkin
03-28-2013, 05:01 PM
Yes. The XT is a slightly heavier version of the XTR trail pedal with all of its features. The cage is metal. I have them on my PsychloX and really like them. I believe the 535 is more basic and not adjustable.

Nooch
03-29-2013, 06:33 AM
Yes. The XT is a slightly heavier version of the XTR trail pedal with all of its features. The cage is metal. I have them on my PsychloX and really like them. I believe the 535 is more basic and not adjustable.

adjustable *how*? spring tension is adjustable on both... what am i missing?

ptourkin
03-29-2013, 07:41 AM
My bad. Both have adjustable spring tension. Hasty post.