PDA

View Full Version : cold weather clothing report

david
11-19-2005, 04:21 PM
went out this morning for a 40-miler. about 25 degrees when i started, warmed up to 35 by the end. thought i might be chilly, but i was toasty.
here's what i had.
feet: regular cycling socks, shoes and pi wind covers - my feet were sweating.
legs: shorts and assos RX LL tights. these are not real thick, but they were warm enough for below freezing. i was surprised my legs were so warm.
top: assos powerstatic long sleeve base layer. this is hideously expensive for a base layer, but it is amazing. super warm and wicks really well.
short sleeve jersey over that.
pi shift top over that. this is a great top. it's got windproof stuff on the chest and the front of the arms so it keeps you cool on the downhills without allowing you to get too hot on the climbs. i've seen other tops like this, but this one has just the right amount of wind-blocking material.
head: skull cap thingy under helmet.
hands: some lightweight long-finger glove by pi that they don't make anymore.
anyway, i offer this review primarily to say how impressed i was with the shift top. very nice and not too pricey.
of course, your results may vary. for reference, i run pretty hot so if you're easily chilled you you might not be as satisfied in this weather with this kit.
one question - is it harder to get oxygen when it's below freezing? i felt like i was down a cylinder or two this morning.

Hysbrian
11-19-2005, 04:30 PM
I don't know if it is any harder to get O2 when it is cold out. I always seem to ride better when it is cold(er) out. I know that the most common problem is that people put on either too much clothing or it is too tight. This restricts the blood flow and makes you colder. But from the sound of it that wasn't your problem. The first cold ride always gives a bit of system shock, maybe that was it.

Cadence230
11-19-2005, 08:03 PM
The air would have been denser on your ride at that temperature. So oxygen would have been more plentiful. The downside is that at the same power your speed will be lower because of the denser air. More home runs are hit in hot humid weather. I too have first hand experience with too tight of a tight. I have a pair of Assos airblocks that I finally surmised are way too tight. The fabric they use on them does'nt stretch and on top of that they are one size too small. It really does seem like you are running short a cyclinder. When you say your feet were sweating with your combo, did they get cold? mike

david
11-19-2005, 09:36 PM
The air would have been denser on your ride at that temperature. So oxygen would have been more plentiful. The downside is that at the same power your speed will be lower because of the denser air. More home runs are hit in hot humid weather. I too have first hand experience with too tight of a tight. I have a pair of Assos airblocks that I finally surmised are way too tight. The fabric they use on them does'nt stretch and on top of that they are one size too small. It really does seem like you are running short a cyclinder. When you say your feet were sweating with your combo, did they get cold? mike

Mike,
Interesting about the denser air. Could be that I was just all phlegmed up. Could also be that I had a wicked week at work and didn't get out until today. But I don't think it was the tights being too tight. They're actually fine. I'm only 5'8" and 160 lbs but I wear an xl in Assos. I find they're torsos are short and the bibs wil cut into my shoulders if I try to wear a large. Also, the feet were sweaty, but not cold. I didn't realize they were sweaty until the ride was over. Thanks for the thoughts.