PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know when Michelin's Pro 4 Tubulars will be available?

FastforaSlowGuy
03-27-2013, 06:19 AM
I've seen plenty of press around these, but no firm date on their availability. When I was riding clinchers I was always impressed with Michelin (and still love their car tires). Can't wait to try their new tubies!

christian
03-27-2013, 06:44 AM
I know a few guys in motorsports at Groupe Michelin; I've emailed and they're walking over to pneus de velo to ask some questions.

christian
03-27-2013, 06:46 AM
To be clear, they're walking over to another building in Clermont-Ferrand. They're not going to Thailand to check on production. I don't know them that well.

christian
03-27-2013, 08:26 AM
Per Michelin, US distributors/shops should have them by June 1.

Nooch
03-27-2013, 08:33 AM
I'm gonna have to say, Christian is the freaking man.

shovelhd
03-27-2013, 08:44 AM
I'm impressed.

aaronf
03-27-2013, 05:34 PM
Per Michelin, US distributors/shops should have them by June 1.

Coincides with QBP's ETA of 08 or 15 May depending on which warehouse. And they are generally pretty accurate when they list a specific date. Both 23 and 25mm sizes by the way.

oldpotatoe
03-28-2013, 06:12 AM
Coincides with QBP's ETA of 08 or 15 May depending on which warehouse. And they are generally pretty accurate when they list a specific date. Both 23 and 25mm sizes by the way.

Aren't cheap are they?

About $100 retail.

christian
03-28-2013, 06:42 AM
Conti Competitions are what $124 at retail, $106 most places, $87 at World Class? Vittoria Evo SC about the same. Cheaper abroad, sure, but I'm talking LBS here.

I've been running Conti Comps this year and I like them. Going to try the 25s next.

I'm going to give these a try, when they come out.

oldpotatoe
03-28-2013, 07:01 AM
Conti Competitions are what $124 at retail, $106 most places, $87 at World Class? Vittoria Evo SC about the same. Cheaper abroad, sure, but I'm talking LBS here.

I've been running Conti Comps this year and I like them. Going to try the 25s next.

I'm going to give these a try, when they come out.

Vittoria CX are about $89..yep, Veloflex, Clement, Conti Comps ARE expensive..so will be the Michelin's.

I'm using Vittoria Corsa Elite, 25c -290 TPI and buytl tube..about $65 retail.

For a tubular, probably all made in the same place in Thailand(very hi tech factory, BTW), not sure why one is $100+ and other is $less..is all.

I suppose the name on them is worth $omething.

christian
03-28-2013, 07:30 AM
I don't know if the Michelins are from the same factory, but I suspect so. If so, I will stay away unless I can find them for ~$50. The Mavics are clearly the same as the Vittorias (but with a proper removable valve core).

BTW, Peter, the ad copy for the Vittoria Evo SC 320 says they have a removable valve core. I assume that's wrong and they have the same dumb screw-off valve stem as other Vittorias? If indeed they do have removable cores, have any in stock?

oldpotatoe
03-28-2013, 09:46 AM
I don't know if the Michelins are from the same factory, but I suspect so. If so, I will stay away unless I can find them for ~$50. The Mavics are clearly the same as the Vittorias (but with a proper removable valve core).

BTW, Peter, the ad copy for the Vittoria Evo SC 320 says they have a removable valve core. I assume that's wrong and they have the same dumb screw-off valve stem as other Vittorias? If indeed they do have removable cores, have any in stock?

Well, the ones I have them in stock and the same dumb red valve, maybe newer ones don't, I donno. Elite's have a standard valve, with removable core..and butyl tube, which I like. Also 25c..like also..

Not sure what Vittoria was a-thinkin'..with these..And BTW-longer ones, like the 60mm red ones are like $40 per pair.

christian
03-28-2013, 09:56 AM
Elite does seem like a good choice - I am ok with butyl tubes... Will have to consider those for my next purchase. 25mm size is a definite plus. I like the Mavics at $50, but 22mm only.