PDA

View Full Version : Cable actuated hydraulic disc brakes...hmmm

DRZRM
03-26-2013, 06:53 PM
These look interesting. Wonder how heavy?

Hope V-Twin brakes (http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemid=SPG343&tab=description). Check out the video.

bluesea
03-26-2013, 07:18 PM
There were similar or the same remote MC systems mounted on a few bikes at NAHBS. There are advantages, but I'm waiting for further evolution.

rice rocket
03-26-2013, 07:30 PM
Hope has had those out for a year now.

Ashima just released one, it has a dual stage master cylinder piston for more initial travel and then more power later in the lever.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/ashima-hydro-mech-converter-at-taipei-show-36818/

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2013/03/25/1364218575455-xbsn13w4pqb-670-75.jpg

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2013/03/25/1364218575472-1flhku9ip8bxr-670-70.jpg

corky
03-26-2013, 07:36 PM
Trp have a hydro cable hybrid coming out.

rice rocket
03-26-2013, 07:55 PM
I'm less interested in TRPs solution. It runs full mechanical cables all the way to the caliper where a master cylinder is integrated into the caliper, which gives you the worst of both systems (long mechanical cables adding friction and compliance into the system, along with having the hassle to bleed).

oldpotatoe
03-27-2013, 06:28 AM
These look interesting. Wonder how heavy?

Hope V-Twin brakes (http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemid=SPG343&tab=description). Check out the video.

Hope these guys don't spend too much $ on these cuz when the 'big boys' come out with wet brakes integrated into road levers, these are gonna go away.

shimano in summer of 2013, probably see them at SeaOtter or Euro-Bike. sram still trying to make it happen..maybe if they 'take the leap' to electronic(gonna be 11s regardless, you heard it here first).

10-4
03-27-2013, 07:21 AM
The Hope system is nice, I spent a few months on it. Lever feel is great, and with the entire system factored in (hoses, converter) vs BB7 Road SL system (cables, housing, etc) the Hope system was about 65g lighter on my bike.

With that said, I've ridden the SRAM Red Hydro setup and walked away concerned. A few years back I used to ride Avid brakes, and after multiple warranties, tons of noise, and lackluster lever feel I went to Shimano. SRAM's kit is ready to go, I expect Sea Otter announcement for them. Hopefully they are able to work out the bugs before it's released to the public.

As Old Potato said, Shimano is also right around the corner with a full hydro setup, and I have no doubt that system will be amazing.

With that, not everyone will want to drop the coin for the entire setup, some people will want to migrate their current drivetrain, so I see the adaptors like Hope/Ashima/TRP sticking around for a couple years before completely eliminated.

rice rocket
03-27-2013, 07:44 AM
The Hope system is nice, I spent a few months on it. Lever feel is great, and with the entire system factored in (hoses, converter) vs BB7 Road SL system (cables, housing, etc) the Hope system was about 65g lighter on my bike.

With that said, I've ridden the SRAM Red Hydro setup and walked away concerned. A few years back I used to ride Avid brakes, and after multiple warranties, tons of noise, and lackluster lever feel I went to Shimano. SRAM's kit is ready to go, I expect Sea Otter announcement for them. Hopefully they are able to work out the bugs before it's released to the public.

As Old Potato said, Shimano is also right around the corner with a full hydro setup, and I have no doubt that system will be amazing.

With that, not everyone will want to drop the coin for the entire setup, some people will want to migrate their current drivetrain, so I see the adaptors like Hope/Ashima/TRP sticking around for a couple years before completely eliminated.

All 3 have a pretty good foothold as niche component makers in the cycling world. People still run Hope brakes despite there being Avid and Shimano options, something about all being CNC'd in the UK and all that (I run their stem on my MTB, no complaints). They're like UK equivalent of Thomson in the US. People still run Ashima's weight weenie rotors. TRP would be drawing their following from the road world. Not sure if they'll be completely eliminated, people don't like to give up their old gear for quite a while... How many people are still running 7800 shifters? :)

I agree though, I have XTR M988 brakes and they blow anything Avid has ever made out of the water. SRAM's hydraulics leave a lot to be desired.

DRZRM
03-27-2013, 09:26 AM
So, can you hook any of these master cylinders up to a different brand brake. I love my Shimano XT brakes on my MTB, could the Hope cylinder drive a Shimano brake?

toytech
03-27-2013, 09:42 AM
So, can you hook any of these master cylinders up to a different brand brake. I love my Shimano XT brakes on my MTB, could the Hope cylinder drive a Shimano brake?

Only if they have the same bore diameter in the master, they have to be matched to get the proper travel and force. Just like they would in a car or motorcycle application.

rice rocket
03-27-2013, 10:22 AM
Do some maths.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/hydraulic-force-calculator-d_1369.html

jimmythefly
03-27-2013, 11:15 AM

Did you install and set up the Hope system yourself? I've been looking for more "real-world" reviews of the Hope and the Parabox systems. There's some info out there, but I'm always glad to hear more, especially if you've had time to try out several systems.

jeepboy_90
03-28-2013, 07:52 AM
I second the "real-world" reviews, as I am planning on pulling the trigger on ones of these kits soon.

mktng
03-28-2013, 08:16 AM
jeez. look at that set up. quite intense.
i think innovations like this though seem a bit more useful than electronic shifting.
id love to get a road bike set up with hydraulic discs.

jbay
03-28-2013, 08:36 AM
A friend is using the Hope V-Twin brakes on a tandem and loves them. He installed them himself, which included fitting a longer hose for the rear brake. He reports that that was straightforward, using Hope's bleed kit.

-- John