PDA

View Full Version : Clicking noise every half revolution

dk2ck
03-26-2013, 06:06 PM
Howdy guys. Wasn't quite sure where to ask this question, but there is this really annoying clicking noise coming from my bike every half revolution when I am out of the saddle. The clicking happens somewhere between the 12-3 o'clock position on the right side and the 9-12 o'clock position on the left.

The last time this happened, I managed to get rid of the noise for a while by tightening the pedals in. Tried that again with no luck. My buddy and I originally thought it was the bottom bracket, but we tried replacing it with another one and the clicking still happens...

Any ideas? I'd appreciate any/all help. That clicking is driving me insane!

toytech
03-26-2013, 06:09 PM
chain hitting the derailleur plates maybe? Lubricant used on all threads and torqued appropriately? Lot of possibilities really.

MattTuck
03-26-2013, 06:12 PM
Lots of possibilities with this.

First 3 things I'd do.

Swap out the wheels, take off the seat post and saddle, and try new pedals.

If noise still happens, you've atleast narrowed it down to a smaller universe of possibilities.

If the clicking did stop, add the components back in, one by one and see which one is the problem.

PS. Do not forget the saddle is gone, you can't sit down.

kramnnim
03-26-2013, 06:13 PM
Stem faceplate/steerer clamp, headset?

djg21
03-26-2013, 06:13 PM
You've checked the pedals. Check the chainring bolts, and maybe remove and regrease the seat post. The last time I had this problem on my Ti frame, it ended up being the front derailler clamp. After taking it off, cleaning the frame, and reinstalling at recommended torque, the noise went away. Ti frames have a way of magnifying the noise so you never can quite tell where the click originates.

dk2ck
03-26-2013, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the quick replies, guys. The frame is aluminum. I just tried putting on a new pair of pedals, clicking still persists. Will try the other suggestions soon!

regularguy412
03-26-2013, 06:32 PM
You've checked the pedals. Check the chainring bolts, and maybe remove and regrease the seat post. The last time I had this problem on my Ti frame, it ended up being the front derailler clamp. After taking it off, cleaning the frame, and reinstalling at recommended torque, the noise went away. Ti frames have a way of magnifying the noise so you never can quite tell where the click originates.

For sure, check this. Had this issue that drove me crazy , but my 'tick' was intermittent. Finally discovered that somehow, some dirt had managed to get in underneath the bolt/chainring surface. Cleaned thoroughly, regreased and retorqued. All good.

Mike in AR:beer:

David Kirk
03-26-2013, 06:43 PM
Does it happen while standing too?

Dave

merlincustom1
03-26-2013, 06:52 PM
Front derailleur cable catching right crank arm?

SoCalSteve
03-26-2013, 06:55 PM
Check your shoes, seriously...had this happen to me recently...especially with Sidi's.

Good luck!

dk2ck
03-26-2013, 06:56 PM
Does it happen while standing too?

Dave

It usually only happens when standing. Sometimes there is a much quieter click if I am in the saddle and pedaling really hard, but 95% of the time the noise occurs when I am out of the saddle, even in a very easy gear.

Check your shoes, seriously...had this happen to me recently...especially with Sidi's.

Good luck!

The clicking happens with clipless shoes and just regular sneakers. I am hoping the issue is just the headset because I was planning on ordering a new Chris King headset anyways...

ty7180
03-26-2013, 07:01 PM
I had a similar annoying click that turned out to be the rear wheel. Tensioned the spokes and I was back in business. (The clicking was louder when climbing or I was out of saddle.)

toytech
03-26-2013, 07:01 PM
Front derailleur cable catching right crank arm?
I did not think of that, and it happened to me recently too. Drove me crazy.

SteveV0983
03-26-2013, 07:02 PM
I recently had almost the same thing happen except mine was only at 3:00 on the drive side. I tried tightening the chainring bolts and snapped one so I stole one off an old chainring. I loosened them all and then removed them one at a time. While each bolt was off (and while the chainrings were loose), I put a couple drops of Finish Line wet lube in the junctions between the chainrings where the bolts pass through and then greased the bolts and put them back in, and the noise is completely gone. Not sure if it was the greasing of the bolts or the drops of lube between the chainring plates, but it worked great.

bironi
03-26-2013, 07:07 PM
Maybe you should describe the frame and original BB and replacement BB. I would not rule out the BB based on your description.

Ralph
03-26-2013, 07:37 PM
I've had that noise from a "Super Link" before. But not from a KMC link.

Ken Robb
03-26-2013, 07:40 PM

Probably not since he hears the click every 180 degrees but I had that cable interference myself and it took me a while to figure it out.

tiretrax
03-26-2013, 09:09 PM
Rear QR? Try remounting your rear wheel.

jtakeda
03-26-2013, 09:27 PM
The valves from the wheels?

I've had some clicking from the valves of the tubes moving around.

Peter B
03-26-2013, 09:52 PM
I've had that noise from a "Super Link" before. But not from a KMC link.

+1 on the clicky Superlink.

If Campy 10, might be the older silver BB cups. IIRC they've updated to the current 'greenish' cups and improved tolerances.

one60
03-26-2013, 10:58 PM
if the noise is always in the same position. Once the user shifts up or down or spins the pedals backwards, that link will shift its position & not be able in position to give a clicking noise at that position

slidey
03-26-2013, 11:05 PM
Three (of many) possibilities:

1. Reinstall cranks
2. Tighten front and rear hub-cap
3. What about changing to different pedals, or try riding with coaster pedals to see if the issue is in the pedals

Good luck!

R2D2
03-27-2013, 01:11 AM
Many good suggestions already.
I've had a few myself. Valve stem, Superlink, Derailleur cage/cable, saddle frame,sensor magnet, mini pump sliding down and brushing crank..

One I had that drove me crazy was a slightly loose water bottle mount bolt.
The down tube would flex ever so lightly and it would click.
Another was a slightly loose rear skewer and the wheel would make a noise as it squirmed in the drop out.

Try to find the pattern. Crank rotation,cassette rotation,wheel rotation, swaying frame back and forth, big ring/little ring, shift thru each cassette cog, in/out saddle,jerking on the bars.

If all else fails save money for a shrink as it will drive you completely nuts.
Especially when tired on a long ride.

biker72
03-27-2013, 05:26 AM
I had a very similar noise that turned out to be a loose front wheel skewer. Drove me nuts trying to find it.

Ralph
03-27-2013, 06:01 AM
I fixed a friends bike with a noise like that by checking his Shimano cassette to see if he had tightened down the cassette lock ring and one of the cogs was not seated right, causing the outer cog (or next to outer cog...can't remember) to have side play, even with lock ring tight.

oldpotatoe
03-27-2013, 06:04 AM
Howdy guys. Wasn't quite sure where to ask this question, but there is this really annoying clicking noise coming from my bike every half revolution when I am out of the saddle. The clicking happens somewhere between the 12-3 o'clock position on the right side and the 9-12 o'clock position on the left.

The last time this happened, I managed to get rid of the noise for a while by tightening the pedals in. Tried that again with no luck. My buddy and I originally thought it was the bottom bracket, but we tried replacing it with another one and the clicking still happens...

Any ideas? I'd appreciate any/all help. That clicking is driving me insane!

Pedals, cleats, rear wheel?

rice rocket
03-27-2013, 06:08 AM
I vote chainring bolts.

oldfatslow
03-27-2013, 06:30 AM
I have an Open Pro wheel which clicks. Seems there is a little metal tab inside the rim they used to hold it together when they weld it. Sometimes long after the rim is made and the welds smoothed the tab pops off and makes a clicking noise inside the RIM. The rim is structurally fine but boy is it annoying. You can drill a small hole in the top of the rim and inject super glue or something else in there to hold the weld tab in place. Or you can click click click along.

oldpotatoe
03-27-2013, 06:38 AM
I have an Open Pro wheel which clicks. Seems there is a little metal tab inside the rim they used to hold it together when they weld it. Sometimes long after the rim is made and the welds smoothed the tab pops off and makes a clicking noise inside the RIM. The rim is structurally fine but boy is it annoying. You can drill a small hole in the top of the rim and inject super glue or something else in there to hold the weld tab in place. Or you can click click click along.

Cept that woud happen whether you are pedaling or not..just coasting.

Common problem with mavic tho, that they refuse to address..even after it was identified over a decade ago. I got a giggle out of the third or fourth one, called mavic and got the, 'we have not heard of that before'...righto-

Hank Scorpio
03-27-2013, 07:10 AM
I am sure this isn't your problem but one time I had a cheapo jersey that did not have a rubber coating on the zipper pull. Occasionally it would click against the helmet buckle.

rileystylee
03-27-2013, 07:18 AM
Tinnitus?
Cartilage problem in your knee?

Front derailleur alignment/chainline can often cause the dreaded click.

David Kirk
03-27-2013, 07:44 AM
Is the front derailleur a clamp-on or braze-on?

dave

SpokeValley
03-27-2013, 08:43 AM
I had a similar click last year on a steel frame with Full campy. Frustrated after trying several of the great suggestions already mentioned, I shot an email off to Jim Langley through Road Bike Rider website. He came right back by email with several different and unusual suggestions. Very cool that he took the time to respond.

turned out that I needed to apply a slight amount of grease to the rear dropout. Voila. Silence.

Anyhow, he directed me to his article on bike noises which is pretty basic for this group but still a wealth of information from a pretty experienced guy.

http://jimlangley.net/wrench/keepitquiet.html

sc53
03-27-2013, 08:57 AM

Good luck!

Ditto to the above: I had a squeaky pair of cleats or shoes or both and took me a year to figure it out.

jpw
03-27-2013, 09:57 AM
half a revolution of the wheels, or the pedals?

slidey
03-27-2013, 10:47 AM
Man, reading these threads about mystery noises often provides very intriguing sources...but, this one takes the cake! :banana:

Freakin' hilarious!

I am sure this isn't your problem but one time I had a cheapo jersey that did not have a rubber coating on the zipper pull. Occasionally it would click against the helmet buckle.

Fivethumbs
03-27-2013, 01:33 PM
^^^^^

I had the exact same experience. It took me a while to figure it out. It sounded like it was coming from the handlebars/headset area.

merlincustom1
03-27-2013, 02:08 PM

Me too. That's why I thought to post it.

moose8
03-27-2013, 02:19 PM
Only because when I had a clicking noise once and it was the chain (there was something off on a few of the links), I'm going to suggest trying a different chain if you haven't.

Clydesdale
03-27-2013, 03:10 PM
Last click I had happened only when standing. Removed front wheel, re-installed... no more noise. Good luck

victoryfactory
03-27-2013, 03:31 PM

I had a Weird buzz coming from the bars once. tried everything like
stem shifters headset cable etc. It turned out to be the little size
tab on my left glove flapping in the wind! ha ha ha

as for the op, sounds like It's the FD. Check if the cable is snapping against the
spring. or a rub under flex. give it a good yank test.

VF

coelacant
03-27-2013, 03:34 PM
The way I got rid of mine was to find a stream or big puddle and ride thru it a couple of times. ;)

dk2ck
03-28-2013, 07:56 PM
I figured it out! After trying different pedals, taking apart my front derailleur, messing with my brakes, etc... it turns out that it was my seatpost. I don't really know what was happening, but I took out my saddle/seatpost, went on a test ride, and the click was gone. Regreased the seatpost collar bolt and the seatpost, reinstalled, and sweet, sweet silence.

Thanks for the help, everybody. Lots of good ideas. Glad I'm not the only one who gets bothered by random noise...

zmudshark
03-28-2013, 08:29 PM
Noises can be very random, and hard to pin down.

Lesson is, don't over look anything, from skewers to seat post, and everything in between.

bironi
03-28-2013, 09:00 PM
Glad you found it.

djg21
03-28-2013, 09:08 PM
I figured it out! After trying different pedals, taking apart my front derailleur, messing with my brakes, etc... it turns out that it was my seatpost. I don't really know what was happening, but I took out my saddle/seatpost, went on a test ride, and the click was gone. Regreased the seatpost collar bolt and the seatpost, reinstalled, and sweet, sweet silence.

Thanks for the help, everybody. Lots of good ideas. Glad I'm not the only one who gets bothered by random noise...

I've found that most "bottom bracket" clicking is resolved by tightening the crank bolts and regreasing the seatpost. Glad to hear it was an easy fix.