PDA

View Full Version : new gloves from giro

AngryScientist
03-26-2013, 06:00 PM
the are called the "Hoxton" and come in both short and long fingered.

I picked up a pair on a whim today at my LBS, really nice!

they have very minimal padding, and the backside is made of a wool blend. wore them on a ride today for the first time, so i cant speak to durability, but i really like them so far, i have the long fingers, and based on this will be buying a set of short fingered for the summer. nice and lightweight, and i think the wool blend backside is a good design for comfort and sweat wicking. i'm a fan.

http://www.bike24.com/i/p/7/1/42517_00_d.jpg

http://www.bike24.com/i/p/0/2/42520_00_d.jpg

phcollard
03-26-2013, 06:04 PM
They look great. Do they cut the wind a bit? I need a new pair of gloves for the early season.

Ryun
03-26-2013, 06:13 PM
Nice look. I use zeros but they are beginning to show some wear.
Love the minimal logos and colors.
Black is the new black and goes with all the kits

AngryScientist
03-26-2013, 06:22 PM
Ryun,

I used to use zeros too, because i like the minimal padding, but i found those gloves to be too fragile, very easy to rip just taking on and off. the construction of these seems much better, at least initially.

phcollard,

as for wind blocking, they do block a little, the wool blend is nice, seemed to maintain a good temp today. definitely not the same wind blocking capability as neoprene or anything though.

nighthawk
03-26-2013, 06:23 PM
Nice... I'm looking for some long finger gloves and these seem perfect. I love the idea of a wool blend glove.

eddief
03-26-2013, 06:30 PM
to go under the half fingered one...easily? Just wondering if you could layer them for cold days. you know how cold it gets here in the deep East Bay.

the are called the "Hoxton" and come in both short and long fingered.

I picked up a pair on a whim today at my LBS, really nice!

they have very minimal padding, and the backside is made of a wool blend. wore them on a ride today for the first time, so i cant speak to durability, but i really like them so far, i have the long fingers, and based on this will be buying a set of short fingered for the summer. nice and lightweight, and i think the wool blend backside is a good design for comfort and sweat wicking. i'm a fan.

http://www.bike24.com/i/p/7/1/42517_00_d.jpg

http://www.bike24.com/i/p/0/2/42520_00_d.jpg

beercan
03-26-2013, 06:35 PM
might need to pick those up for this season, i am a sweater and fullback hand wipage looks amazing to me, I also like the giro LUX gloves, have a great feel to them.

AngryScientist
03-26-2013, 06:36 PM
i dont think that would work well eddie, then you would have a double suede like palm layer, i dont imagine that would feel good, just a guess though.

MattTuck
03-26-2013, 06:38 PM
Obviously every rider's hands are different, but would these be ok down to the 45-50 degree range?

May be just what the doctor ordered for a new season purchase.

pdmtong
03-26-2013, 06:42 PM
Obviously every rider's hands are different, but would these be ok down to the 45-50 degree range?

May be just what the doctor ordered for a new season purchase.

for 45-50d the giro blaze 2 is excellent

FlashUNC
03-26-2013, 06:46 PM
Interesting. I might pick up a pair to rotate in with my Giro LX gloves.

bumknees
03-26-2013, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the mini review. I'll get myself a pair.

tiretrax
03-26-2013, 09:07 PM
I bought some giro gloves last year with minimal padding and am a big fan. The wool would be great for three seasons. Nice design, too.

gavingould
03-26-2013, 09:11 PM
these do look interesting - i'll have to inquire at the shop. generally in the summer I go gloveless, spring/fall I use the LX full finger, these may be a good compliment

Louis
03-26-2013, 09:23 PM
Slight thread drift:

Anyone care to recommend some crochet-back gloves? Bonus points for natural color and synthetic leather.

TIA
Louis

cachagua
03-26-2013, 09:29 PM
Yes, black goes with all the new kits.

Any other colors?

buldogge
03-26-2013, 09:37 PM
Luddite.

Do you mean recommend, as in give a good review...or recommend, as in point out available models??

JBI distributes Airius Retro Mesh which retail for like $11 (cost $6.49):

http://www.amazon.com/Airius-Finger-Cycling-Gloves-Natural/dp/B000BMT2Z6

???

-Mark in St. Louis

Slight thread drift:

Anyone care to recommend some crochet-back gloves? Bonus points for natural color and synthetic leather.

TIA
Louis

Louis
03-26-2013, 09:45 PM
Luddite.

And proud of it. :)

Do you mean recommend, as in give a good review...or recommend, as in point out available models??

Either one, really.

Thanks for the link, Mark - I'll see if they have my size. I actually have two pairs of the Airius, one brand new, one I've used for half a season. They're a bit tight, mostly because there is apparently no glove size standard, and I can never figure out what's right for me, even when they provide a sizing guide. I got them from Niagara last year, and when I checked a while back to order the next size up they no longer had them in stock, so I sort of gave up.

Best crochet gloves I've ever had were by Specialized, but they don't make them any more.

jpw
03-27-2013, 03:35 AM
Nice look. I use zeros but they are beginning to show some wear.
Love the minimal logos and colors.
Black is the new black and goes with all the kits

black is fine for the pro peloton on closed roads in daylight.

oldpotatoe
03-27-2013, 07:03 AM
Slight thread drift:

TIA
Louis

Planet Bike

http://www.quickbike.com/Products/Products.aspx?item=974290

Pars
03-27-2013, 08:41 AM
Spenco still has the Classic. I thought I had read that some people had durability problems with the later production on these though (seams letting go)?

http://shop.spencocycling.com/p-40-spenco-classic.aspx

Ryun
03-27-2013, 08:44 AM
Ryun,

I used to use zeros too, because i like the minimal padding, but i found those gloves to be too fragile, very easy to rip just taking on and off. the construction of these seems much better, at least initially.

great to hear. Same problem I had with them but since I found them cheap when they were closing out, I was a little more tolerant of the tearing. Now my supply is up so this sounds like the replacement.

Ryun

hockeybike
03-27-2013, 09:00 AM
for 45-50d the giro blaze 2 is excellent

Or....just get Defeet Wool gloves. One color: charcoal. One review: AWESOME

http://www.defeet.com/733771/products/Duraglove-Wool-Charcoal.html

Even with my cold hands, they work amazingly well all the way down to 40F. Serve as a great base-layer glove, too.

FlashUNC
03-27-2013, 09:06 AM

Even with my cold hands, they work amazingly well all the way down to 40F. Serve as a great base-layer glove, too.

You can double up with their hi-viz glove to get down around freezing. Excellent gloves. I love mine.

BSUdude
03-27-2013, 11:24 AM

x2, although I would say I wear them down to about 50, not 40.

I will say that I've had a pair for a 3 or 4 years now, and while the material has held up pretty well, the grippy rubber dimpling on the palms and fingers hardens over time and becomes hard, slick and plastic like. I wore them during a CX race and found out the hard way not being able to grip any surface on my bike other than bartape or shift well at all. But on road rides they are great.

Considering their cost I could just buy another pair if only my current ones would fall apart...

MilanoTom
03-27-2013, 12:13 PM
Bontrager makes one. Not natural back, but they have a cool Rasta version.

Regards,
Tom

Slight thread drift:

TIA
Louis

beercan
03-27-2013, 06:47 PM
I've been looking for those rasta ones forever

merckx
03-28-2013, 01:19 PM
I've had several Giro gloves (Zero and Monaco) and they all suffered from dye bleeding and seams pulling apart. I'm not keen on having the dye color sublimated into my skin and I've never gotten a season out of a pair of gloves before they pulled apart. YMMV.

Pars
03-28-2013, 01:40 PM
Those rasta ones are kinda cool, pretty cheap too. Might have to grab a pair.

pakora
03-28-2013, 03:50 PM
I've had several Giro gloves (Zero and Monaco) and they all suffered from dye bleeding and seams pulling apart. I'm not keen on having the dye color sublimated into my skin and I've never gotten a season out of a pair of gloves before they pulled apart. YMMV.

I feel like I've had this happen with all of my gloves in the past couple of years. (including Giro Zeros).

The only ones that haven't were a closeout from JensonUSA that by the look and build of them are NOS from the 90s - electric blue and black fingers, splash of every neon color on the back - but that suits me fine. Besides a few winter rides I've done all my riding since last summer on them (including all commuting/errands and plenty of crashing in cross season) and only now is the palm wearing at the seams. Wish I got more (one backup pair waiting).

rdparadise
03-28-2013, 09:24 PM
Louis:

When you were those crocheted cloth clothes it creates velo-noma on the back of your hands as they tan. Just sayin.....

Bob

Louis
03-28-2013, 09:29 PM
When you were those crocheted cloth clothes it creates velo-noma on the back of your hands as they tan. Just sayin.....

Ha - good one.

The spots I have to be most careful are my arms and nose, so I use sunscreen there. Other than that, I don't have too much of a problem. Part of my solution to the sun issue is to time the majority of my rides so they are after 5 PM, to minimizes the exposure to the bad UV level times.