PDA

View Full Version : 126mm to 130mm...

CDollarsign
03-26-2013, 11:09 AM
Hey guys, newb question. I bought a 130mm spaces frame for a 7 speed athena group i have. My rear hub is spaced 126mm. What are the consequences of running this spacing on a 130mm spaced frame? Should it be a good excuse to unload it and try to find a 8 speed DA 7402 group? Or 10 speed record?

Thanks in advance...

David Kirk
03-26-2013, 11:28 AM
What material is the frame made from?

dave

CDollarsign
03-26-2013, 11:29 AM
Columbus SLX

oldpotatoe
03-26-2013, 11:34 AM
Hey guys, newb question. I bought a 130mm spaces frame for a 7 speed athena group i have. My rear hub is spaced 126mm. What are the consequences of running this spacing on a 130mm spaced frame? Should it be a good excuse to unload it and try to find a 8 speed DA 7402 group? Or 10 speed record?

Thanks in advance...

Freewheel or cassette? If FW, add 2mm each side of axle or 1mm right, 3mm left, center axle and redish wheel.

If Campag 126mm freehub type rear wheel(unlikely), cold set the frame to 126mm.

Unlikely but pulling the dropouts parallel by force, 126mm wheel into 130mm frame, 'Can' brake the dropout. Seen it a few times.

CDollarsign
03-26-2013, 01:00 PM
My hubs are acutally record. Which record I am not sure. Maybe Nuevo? It is a 7-speed freehub. I really don't want to modify the frame...

oldpotatoe
03-26-2013, 01:01 PM
My hubs are acutally record. Which record I am not sure. Maybe Nuevo? It is a 7-speed freehub. I really don't want to modify the frame...

Nuovo, freeWHEEL or Freehub/cassette?

David Kirk
03-26-2013, 01:28 PM
What the Spud man said.

I'd have the frame respaced to 130 and run what you like in it. Do you have someone near by that could do this for you?

dave

CDollarsign
03-26-2013, 01:33 PM
Nuovo, freeWHEEL or Freehub/cassette?

How can I tell?

ultraman6970
03-26-2013, 01:33 PM
"What are the consequences of running this spacing on a 130mm spaced frame?"

None, the only thing is that you might need to open more the quick release to get the wheel in and out, besides that nothing will happen to the frame. In aluminum I would be kind'a concern, in carbon no way.

CDollarsign
03-26-2013, 01:42 PM
This is what I am working with hub wise...

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-iGwwQ3Vo7Eg/UVH54NhKfnI/AAAAAAAAAGQ/P_nymW0Jhk4/s758/photo+1.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-qy9okgXIoCk/UVH54FXchBI/AAAAAAAAAGU/F7tFbcQvHRE/s758/photo+2.JPG

ctcyclistbob
03-26-2013, 02:09 PM
That is a Campag Nuovo Record freewheel hub, not a cassette.

christian
03-26-2013, 02:10 PM
You can use spacers on that hub to use it in a 130mm frame. See the fourth post.

Ralph
03-26-2013, 02:37 PM
As I recall....some years ago, I did just that. Used a NR hub in a rear spaced to 130 MM. Bought a 140 MM length axle from "loose screws" or somewhere, that had Italian threads that would work with the NR cone and lock nut threads, added spacer mostly to non drive side, added spacers where I needed them, had wheel redished, and used a 7 speed freewheel. Worked fine. Don't know where to get that axle now.

CDollarsign
03-26-2013, 03:39 PM
As I recall....some years ago, I did just that. Used a NR hub in a rear spaced to 130 MM. Bought a 140 MM length axle from "loose screws" or somewhere, that had Italian threads that would work with the NR cone and lock nut threads, added spacer mostly to non drive side, added spacers where I needed them, had wheel redished, and used a 7 speed freewheel. Worked fine. Don't know where to get that axle now.

Yeah, I am sure that would work and can be done. I am not really committed to using this group.

Oldpotatoe, can the first gen athena rear derailleurs be used as 8 speed? Maybe I can pick up a pair of athena hubs when they moved to 8 speed...

toytech
03-26-2013, 05:45 PM
I would run it as is with no concern. Being already set at 130 though is a good excuse for a 10 or 11 speed Campy conversion though (like you need an excuse)
Production tolerances on steel road frames are not that precise anyway, I have seen a couple mm either way brand new as a normal occurrence.
My bikes usually end up Campy 10 or Shimergo with a shiftmate.
ymmv

oldpotatoe
03-27-2013, 06:32 AM
Yeah, I am sure that would work and can be done. I am not really committed to using this group.

Oldpotatoe, can the first gen athena rear derailleurs be used as 8 speed? Maybe I can pick up a pair of athena hubs when they moved to 8 speed...

Yes and sorta. If friction and 8s, the RH shifter, being a smallish barrel, will go allll the way aft to get to the lowest gear. If index, like with a 1992/3+ ERGO, yes, it will work with 8s, probably better than the CDA or A-B Chorus of the day.

oldpotatoe
03-27-2013, 06:35 AM
I would run it as is with no concern. Being already set at 130 though is a good excuse for a 10 or 11 speed Campy conversion though (like you need an excuse)
Production tolerances on steel road frames are not that precise anyway, I have seen a couple mm either way brand new as a normal occurrence.
My bikes usually end up Campy 10 or Shimergo with a shiftmate.
ymmv

WEll, it 'can' break a dropout, forcing the dropouts parallel with the QR. If the frame is steel or aluminum. I've seen the aforementioned carbon or carbon butt ended frames break because of either poor alignment or oor rear spacing.

It really is no big deal to add a couple of spacers on that hub. 136mm axle..leaves 3mm each side of the axle end..helps the frame..easy...and the 'right' thing to do.

Ralph
03-27-2013, 06:44 AM
WEll, it 'can' break a dropout, forcing the dropouts parallel with the QR. If the frame is steel or aluminum. I've seen the aforementioned carbon or carbon butt ended frames break because of either poor alignment or oor rear spacing.

It really is no big deal to add a couple of spacers on that hub. 136mm axle..leaves 3mm each side of the axle end..helps the frame..easy...and the 'right' thing to do.

Yep....You have more axle sticking out past the lock nuts than you really need to hold wheel in place when skewer is tightened. You could easily put a 1MM or so on each side, adjust RD, and not redish wheel. Washers from ACE Hardware would work OK if you don't have Campy spacers.

rccardr
03-27-2013, 10:27 AM
Huh. I have a virtually NOS first gen Athena 7 speed group with the gray finish (it was on the Bottecchia purchased from eBaumann) and I was surprised to find that it's spaced at 130. Coming from the Shimano side of the tracks, all freewheel hubs are 126.

Tried to research whether they all came that way or if this is this an oddball, never got an answer. Anybody here know? I know this stuff can be respaced (also have a set of Record hubs like the ones pictured above spaced at 130) with a longer axle, but doubt that the Athena group I have is anything other than OEM.